MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92720 - 14 September 04 5:18 pm - America/Chicago More Rambles ... Hopkins
LanSluder Offline

Loc: USA/Belize
HOPKINS
It always makes me feel good to be back in Hopkins. Folks are so friendly, and there’s always something quirky or funny or engaging in the village to make you smile. The two big (well, big by Belize standards) resorts here, Jaguar Reef and Hamanasi, are both looking great. Hamanasi’s grounds are now nicely filled out with tropical plantings, and I like the way the new entrance is set up.

I’ve stayed at Jaguar Reef several times, but this trip we spent the night at Cocoplum Caye, (tel. 501-520-7040 or in the U.S. and Canada 800-289-5756, fax 501-520-7091;
www.cocoplumcaye.com) a 16-acre island which Bruce Foerster, head honcho at Jaguar Reef, leases from a prominent Belizean businessman. Cocoplum is about 35 or 40 minutes by boat from Jaguar Reef. Rates are US$346 per night, double, off-season and US$397 in-season on an all-inclusive basis (all meals, tours, boat transfers, taxes, tips and beer, liquor and soft drinks included). Dive packages are only a little more. There’s usually a three-day minimum.

We enjoyed our brief stay on Cocoplum. Meals are served in a thatch cabana at water’s edge -- delicious broiled lobster was the entree the night we were there. Snorkeling around the island is better than from the mainland shore, but for the best snorkeling and diving you still need to take a boat to the reef. The pastel-colored wood cottages, built before Jaguar Reef took over management of the island, are comfortable, and they have air-conditioning and nice views of the water from the verandahs. When the wind dies down, sand flies can be a nuisance. The A/C went off in the cottage where my kids were staying and, not thinking clearly, I suggested they open the windows. Bad idea. They woke up covered in bites, as the pesky critters are small enough to get in through screens, even though the cottages are up on pilings. My wife and I slept like babies though, with the A/C blowing out some of the coldest air in southern Belize.

Next door to Jaguar Reef is Belizean Dreams Villas. These are three-bedroom, three-bath condos, which sold out at US$300,000 to $440,000, according to Ron Forrester at Belize Development Company, formerly known as British American Cattle Company, which is selling lots in Sittee Point and elsewhere. You can rent units in these condos for US$150 to $340 a night; for information, call 800-456-7150. It’s hard for me to imagine what Hopkins residents think about all this. The village didn’t even get telephone service until the mid-1990s.

Speaking of lots, Ron Forrester must be a good salesman. Most of the beachfront lots marketed by his Belize Development Company have been sold. The few remaining beach lots in section 4 start at around US$85,000 for 75 feet of beachfront, with a few in section 2 for around US$55,000. That works out to a little over US$1,100 a front foot. Sittee river front lots start at around US$25,000. Lots with beach and canal frontage are around US$100,000. Some houses have been built, but it’s not yet what you’d call a heavily developed area!

--Lan Sluder

#92721 - 14 September 04 5:38 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
Don Offline

Loc: Brownwood, Texas
The rich get richer,etc. etc. etc.

#92722 - 14 September 04 6:21 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
lea Offline

Loc: usa
What's happening with Pleasure Cove and Beaches and Dreams ? They are right in that area too.

#92723 - 15 September 04 2:39 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
belizelaw Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Nice, thanks Lan. After reading your reports, and doing some of my own limited traveling in Belize, it makes me wonder where, in the long run, will be the biggest gringo settlements. A.C. and Placencia are apparently near the top of the list right now, but these other places (Hopkins area, Consejo area) which are lowly populated could quite easily become gringo-majority enclaves if the developments are bought out by expats.

#92724 - 15 September 04 8:03 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
TexasRon Offline

Loc: Texas
Lan, thank you for all the kind words. I am not really a great salesman, but any success is due to the fact that I do work harder than most people and I am lucky to have good people at Sittee Point to work with. Hopkins is still the friendlest village in the entire country.

Lea, Sharon is sill owns and operates Beaches and Dreams. She does have it on the market for around $350K. Considering current sales comps and replacement costs, that is certainly a fair price.
It is my understanding thatThe Pleasure Cove has been leased out with an option to purchase. It is currently closed until the new owner takes over the management.

#92725 - 15 September 04 9:57 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
Don Offline

Loc: Brownwood, Texas
Ron---I am, indeed a devoute capitalist. I do disapprove of excess profits, and it makes me sad to think that the tax base may be raised so that the locals cannot afford to pay the taxes on their own property that they have lived on for years. We North Americans are sometimes good at destroying the very thing that was attractive in the first place. And don't misunderstand, I am a 100% America lover.

#92726 - 15 September 04 10:11 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
SartenejaSJA Offline

Loc: gone
Don -
I firmly agree with your comments here. Not dissimilar to mine at http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001246

#92727 - 15 September 04 10:31 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
LanSluder Offline

Don,

With a few exceptions (large undeveloped tracts held for speculation, for example) property taxes are still very, very low in Belize and likely will remain so, as politically it would be suicide for either party to raise property taxes on Belizeans.

With the Belize government strapped for cash they may go up some, but the situation in Belize is quite different from the U.S. as regards property taxes.

Most Belizeans, probably 90-some percent, pay no income taxes and the average property tax paid by Belizeans is probably under US$50 a year. I'm just guessing on that, but it couldn't be much.

Ordinary Belizeans do suffer from the regressive national sales tax, however. I would be more concerned about that than about property taxes. And those who are lucky enough to make enough money to pay income taxes are subject to a ton of red tape and scrutiny.

But at least at the present time in my opinion the foreign concept of real property tax base, constantly rising with property values, isn't really applicable in Belize.

--Lan Sluder

#92728 - 15 September 04 2:09 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
belizeriver Offline

Loc: ladyville
don, excess profits, if they do not leave the economy of belize , do not matter. It is when they do leave that that you could say americans are good at destroying what they love.

#92729 - 15 September 04 2:59 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
CND Offline

Loc: California - Sittee
Back on topic...

Just A couple of things to add, we were just down last week still no activity at Pleasure Cove. We met someone who called himself “the buyer” of Beaches & Dreams & Sharon was back in Canada not sure if this is rock solid but that is what we were told.

Three of our favorite places to stay in the area were not mentioned
The Hopkins Inn nice modern cabanas right in the beach fruit juice & baked goods for breakfast. Warm shower (yes that’s right a warm shower) & not just an electric shower head.
Tipple tree beya also right on the beach with a variety of accommodations. We stayed in the Mennonite house in front which gives you the feeling of being part of the village life.
Toucan Sittee (our favorite) it just missing one thing… The beach…
But it makes up for it in charm, the quit of the river, & quit possibly the best food in the area you just have to let them know early if you are planning to have dinner with them. Everything is handmade & slow cooked. The hosts are awesome Neville, Yoli & Yolita, who brings the food right to your room with a big smile, They even packed us a great picnic lunch for our hike up at Mayflower.

#92730 - 15 September 04 3:53 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
LanSluder Offline

I agree that Tipple Tree Beya, Hopkins Inn and Toucan Sittee are all excellent budget/moderate places.

Hope somebody does something better with Pleasure Cove.

And glad Beaches & Dreams apparently has finally sold. It's been on the market for a long time and did seem to be a good value, relatively speaking.

--Lan Sluder

#92731 - 15 September 04 6:27 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
lea Offline

Loc: usa
Thank you all for the information on Beaches and Dreams, plus Pleasure Cove. Changes are good at times and maybe it was just time smile

We had thought of making a visit in that area again this year, we'll see what's offered when we go next trip.

#92732 - 16 September 04 10:28 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
One Happy Wife Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Lan,

I have truly enjoyed your "Rambles Around Belize" reports. They are both enjoyable and informative from a different perspective. I haven't made it to Belize yet (late October), but thanks to your reports, website, and the helpfulness of everyone on this board I feel quite prepared. Thanks again for sharing with us. ~Jenn

#92733 - 17 September 04 3:31 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
alaskatony Offline

Loc: Alaska/ HOPKINS
Are you sure Beaches and dreams has sold? I talked with Sharon before she left for Canada and she didn't mention it. I was making a trip down in October to look at it for a possible purchase. Any info on this would be helpful. Ron, do you know anything?????????
Tony
www.chefinbelize.blogspot.com
See the happenings in Hopkins on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=155603672170

#92734 - 17 September 04 4:13 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
belizeriver Offline

you can buy now for less or pay more later. If the belize dollar no longer is tied to the us dollar what will you do then ? I like to put the panic in investors because it helps to weed out those that have not learned to have belize as thier best intersest.

#92735 - 17 September 04 4:23 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
tomclark Offline

As long as the US Dollar is stronger, would it really make any difference. If you bought a property now and there was a real estate note involved, and there was a devaulation, the buyer would realize some tremendous benefits. Pay back a note with cheaper dollars.

#92736 - 17 September 04 4:24 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
tomclark Offline

I should have added if the note was in Belize dollars. Sorry, I get confused sometime.

#92737 - 17 September 04 4:33 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
belizeriver Offline

tom, that would mean to me you are selling something in belize and as i told rod before, you have a 50 million population market. No hurry no worry. If you can not do, no hurry no worry then maybe you are right.

#92738 - 18 September 04 12:59 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
tomclark Offline

I am not selling anything. Let me use an example. Let's say that I buy some real estate in Belize and I sign a note for $50,000 BZE($25,000USD) and in one year the Belize dollar is devalued to lets say 4 BZE to 1 USD, then in US dollars, I only have to pay back one half of my note or $12,500USD. All this is predicated on the fact that the note is in Belize dollars, not USD.

#92739 - 18 September 04 2:21 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
belizeriver Offline

yes , thats right.based on a belize loan.
A secured belize loan.

#92740 - 18 September 04 6:33 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
LanSluder Offline

Most real estate prices and contracts in Belize are denominated in U.S. dollars, so for nearly all foreign buyers it is a moot point.

--Lan Sluder

#92741 - 18 September 04 8:28 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
Jesse Cope Offline

Loc: Ambergris Caye, Belize
Lan says: "Most real estate prices and contracts in Belize are denominated in U.S. dollars, so for nearly all foreign buyers it is a moot point." Unless you're buying from a Belizean and make your offer in Belize Dollars, a common occurrance.

#92742 - 18 September 04 8:47 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
CND Offline

And the last few replies are hypothetical & pointless IMHO confused

BACK ON TOPIC!
Alaskatony, I don't know for sure Sharon wasn't there, & this person seemed pretty confident

#92743 - 19 September 04 10:21 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
Edgar's Mini Storage Offline

Loc: Belize City, Belize
Property loans from Belizean Banks are in very "short" supply. Even when it appears the bank would be in a very strong equity position. To invest in Belize at this time, foreign money would be needed. The banks and the Gov't of Belize have been "over extended" much like the "Savings & Loan" fiasco in the US not too many years ago. Only thing, due to the smallness of Belize, it will take a long time to recover ( if ever).

#92744 - 19 September 04 10:43 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
Jesse Cope Offline

Loc: Ambergris Caye, Belize
Belize offshore banks have $$ and are making loans.

#92745 - 19 September 04 4:54 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
alaskatony Offline

CND, just talked to Sharon, it's news to her. She'll see me there on October 5th.... tony

#92746 - 19 September 04 5:06 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins
CND Offline

just someone With hopefull ideas
Good luck Tony

#243596 - 30 April 14 5:20 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: Don]
bubblebreaker Offline

Loc: Carcassonne,France
Originally Posted By: Don
Ron---I am, indeed a devoute capitalist.
I do disapprove of excess profits,

and it makes me sad to think that the tax base may be raised so

that the locals cannot afford to pay the taxes on their own property that they have lived on for years.

We North Americans are sometimes good at destroying the very thing that was attractive in the first place. And don't misunderstand, I am a 100% America lover.

#243598 - 30 April 14 6:07 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
Nate Offline

Loc: Caye Caulker
You've got nothing better to do in France than to repost a 10 year old post in Belize?

#243600 - 30 April 14 9:00 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
Noobalicious Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hey Bubble...Vous avez le cervau d'un sandwich au fromage.

#243603 - 30 April 14 9:54 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: Nate]
bubblebreaker Offline

Originally Posted By: Nate
You've got nothing better to do in France than to repost a 10 year old post in Belize?

And this is your contribution to this thread !! Many will enjoy reading this thread.

#243607 - 30 April 14 3:35 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
flyfisherman Offline

#243621 - 01 May 14 7:31 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: flyfisherman]
bubblebreaker Offline

That certainly explains why so many are rude and aggressive to me, when I never do..

And to presuppose the next question, somebody find text from me that is rude or aggressive. It is called flaming and many of you are good at it.

#243624 - 01 May 14 7:48 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
alaskatony Offline

Actually, I enjoyed reading the post. That was the year I first came down to take over Beaches and Dreams, though I am not the guy mentioned in the thread as the guy who was a buyer. that was actually a caretaker I had watching the place. anyone who has been to Hopkins in the last year will now see a lot more buildings.................... homes and businesses. They will also see the locals with nicer homes and vehicles and cell phones partly due to the emergence of a middle class brought about by full time employment and business opportunities for Belizean owned business like tour operators, restaurants, transport services, cultural entertainment groups and guesthouses. I have many friends now that are not employees, but business people, and its nice to see. Kids that grow up and go to school now, have a way to stay in the village and start families with out having to go away for seasonal employment.
The prices that lots sell for now are nearly triple what they were quoted in 2004. It was a nice reminiscence......thanks.

#243626 - 01 May 14 8:52 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
bubblebreaker Offline

In that case, you came with money and experience and were able to share and not give.. the best recipe in a new world.

#243628 - 01 May 14 9:20 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
alaskatony Offline

You are correct bubble.

#243632 - 01 May 14 3:26 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: alaskatony]
TexasRon Offline

Tony, do you know what happened to Sharon?

#243634 - 02 May 14 5:55 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
JohnP Offline

Loc: Michigan / Sittee River
Having just left Hopkins until next winter I have to say Tony is right. People who come into Hopkins now vs three year ago have to see the change. This year was a real stand out. There is about the same amount of new construction as there is in Placencia.

#244035 - 17 May 14 1:00 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
alaskatony Offline

Hi Ron, I hope you are well. I know that Sharon brought her sons child, from a Belizean mother, back to Canada with her and is still there. i actually saw her name on facebook, but i have not been in contact since the sale. i know it was hard for her.

#244045 - 19 May 14 5:12 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
Ken_Wilford Offline

Loc: Millville, NJ USA
Tony, how is the road into Hopkins coming along? We will be back again hopefully in January/February and want to come for a visit. Hoping that the road will be finished by then.
John 3:16
http://www.vanagain.com

#244709 - 18 June 14 5:32 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: Ken_Wilford]
D InTheShade Offline

Loc: Calgary, Mile 5 Southern Hwy
Hopkins road is coming along,,, still gravel. For the most part about 2 feet higher, way wider and much smoother. BEL was moving power poles further off the road allowance. The drains and culverts are looking great for big run off. Here is a pic of a June 1, Sunday morning Cancer Fund Raising Run.

Looks like they may be struggling with the widening of the four small bridges. More notably with driving the precast concrete piles. Some went in like a nail in soft wood and some look like they were pounding into Bullet Trees??

Really nice to drive on now, except for the dust.
Not sure if they can lay down the tar during the wet season or just hold the subgrade together until it dries up some.

#244726 - 19 June 14 6:16 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: D InTheShade]
Ken_Wilford Offline

Loc: Millville, NJ USA
Thanks for sharing. The road looks 100% better than when we were there in January/February! At least the road level is closer to the hump of the bridge. I don't know why Belize is fascinated with narrow bridges. I guess it is "do what we can afford" mindset but the ones on the Hummingbird Highway always make me dread driving it the most. I actually count them down as I progress so I can breathe a sigh of relief once I am over the last one.
John 3:16
http://www.vanagain.com

#244744 - 19 June 14 5:55 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
jstewartpa Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania and Hopkins
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but weren't most of the narrow Hummingbird Highway bridges formally narrow gauge British rail bridges?

#244746 - 19 June 14 6:23 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: Ken_Wilford]
thecol Offline

Ken_Wilford

Really looking forward to your trip to the PROMISED LAND in Feb 2015 .

Trust you shall get your CAMERA IN GOOD WORKING ORDER ,ITS BETTER THAN A COLORING BOOK AND CRAYONS .

ALL-----IMHO

#244747 - 19 June 14 6:59 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: jstewartpa]
TexasRon Offline

Yes, they were railroad tracks.

#252047 - 03 March 17 4:55 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
LanSluder Offline

I want to correct the spelling of a name I used in a post on this thread regarding Jaguar Reef Lodge. The founder/owner's name is Bruce Forrester. Dumb mistake on my part. I apologize for this error. (Because this is an old thread, I am not able to correct my error in the original post.)

--Lan Sluder

Edited by LanSluder (05 March 17 8:13 am - America/Chicago)
Edit Reason: clarification

#252048 - 06 March 17 7:45 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
jstewartpa Offline

Bruce is also still involved with Jaguar Reef.

#252214 - 23 April 17 6:44 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
just_me Offline

Loc: Dangriga
Hi Len! This is off topic.

I need your help. A couple on weeks ago, I was able to post, but have forgotten the process. Please give me specific directions about posting a question. I am living in Dangriga & learned by word of mouth that there is an expat community in Hopkins. I'd like the name of someone in the group so I can join it.

Regards,
Joan

#252219 - 24 April 17 4:50 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
MisterB Offline

Loc: Belize
Just_me,

Try this...

1. Log in to the forum.
2. Under the large heading, click “Forums”. You should now be seeing a list of forum topics.
3. Select the forum where you want to add a post, for example Accommodation, or Getting to Belize, etc.
4. Above the list of forums, you should see a button “New Topic”. Click it.
5. Enter the subject of your post in the Subject line (this line must contain something).
6. In the Post section, type your message/question/information.
7. A little bit lower down, click the Submit button, and you should be returned to the forum.

If you’ve done it before, t should come back to you.

#252220 - 25 April 17 8:56 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
Reilly Offline

Loc: Carolinas, USA, Cayo
Great info! Now, if a moderator will repost it from "real estate" to "How to use the forum."

#252576 - 11 August 17 1:32 pm - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
Bonnie Johnson Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Is there anyone on this post that can tell me how to reach Ron Forrester? He was affiliated with the British American Cattle Company whom I purchased land from many years ago. My contact person then was Ron Zent who has since passed on. I desperately need inormation for my Will that I am having drawn up and don't know where to go for answers!. No one answers the phone at BACC and I heard they no longer exist. I am really frustrated there isn't a number I can call for information on my property. I would be so grateful for any info you can give me on Ron and where to reach him! Thanks.

#252580 - 12 August 17 7:23 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
JohnP Offline

Loc: Michigan / Sittee River
Try contacting jstewartpa here on the forum. They have dealt with Ron Zent and his family.

#252596 - 14 August 17 10:44 am - America/Chicago Re: More Rambles ... Hopkins [Re: LanSluder]
jstewartpa Offline

Call Ruth Neal. 610-3910.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
6 Good Reasons Why Belize Is the Best Place To Invest In Real Estate
by britinbelize
Yesterday at 03:56 PM
Rosewood Trees
by GZboat
18 January 19 10:07 am - America/Chicago
Looking for hardwoods
by D InTheShade
16 January 19 8:52 pm - America/Chicago
Latin vs Common names of plants
by TIEJUN
15 January 19 9:56 am - America/Chicago
Cheap flights on Southwest to Belize!!
by Dave Bunk
13 January 19 4:53 am - America/Chicago
Night Life In Belize Is A Lifetime Experience
by GZboat
12 January 19 9:44 am - America/Chicago
Cabana in Dangriga
by Abby_Chand
11 January 19 11:34 am - America/Chicago
Importing Solar Power Equipment... Import Duty?
by D InTheShade
09 January 19 7:47 pm - America/Chicago
Real Estate Buy/Sell Transaction Lawyer and Paralegal
by D InTheShade
09 January 19 9:24 am - America/Chicago
Belize real estate
by DrMexico
03 January 19 7:27 am - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE

BookBelize.com | Belizespecials.com | Belize.net | Belizenet.com