Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64786 - 02 March 05 2:02 pm - America/Chicago Hopkins vs Placencia
Inudat Offline

Loc: Kansas City Area
I would like some opinions of some pros and cons of each and personal recommendations of one over the other - with reasons why.

Here is the general plan - 1st part AC or CC, 2nd part Jungle/Cayo area (still deciding here) and then the plan is to stay at one of these 2 places as the last leg of the trip (wedding/honeymoon)for 3/4 nights before returning to BC.

Here are some of the activities we are considering doing in this area (I realize I have more than I can do - and will have to make some choices)

Monkey River trip

Snorkel (maybe scuba if we stay in Hopkins at Hamanasi and take lessons)- we plan on doing the Hol Chan Reserve during the first part.

Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary

Enjoy the village/town - walk around look in shops etc - relax.

Thanks!

#64787 - 02 March 05 2:13 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hopkins vs Placencia
Greg Offline

Loc: Connecticut
How many days do you have in total?

#64788 - 02 March 05 2:44 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hopkins vs Placencia
Inudat Offline

It is still up in the air - but ideally 10 - 12.

Here is the reasoning behind the order:

I want to get married in the jungle by a waterfall - cannot get married until the 5th day by my understanding (3 days for residency - 4th day paperwork, 5th day wedding)May do Flores one night to see Tikal

Originally I wanted to end the trip in Placencia/Hopkins to relax and unwind at the end of the trip. I have read so many great things about the town of Placencia so it seems like the perfect place to relax and play things by ear - maybe do the monkey river or snorkel or something.

I also wanted to visit AC or CC.

#64789 - 02 March 05 2:46 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hopkins vs Placencia
Inudat Offline

wanted to add - I am feeling very overwhelmed and just want to deal with one segiment at a time. Then put it together and then get feedback on the overall plan.

I am afraid that if I post all 3 parts - I will get feedback on all 3 segiments.

#64790 - 02 March 05 8:17 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hopkins vs Placencia
Greg Offline

Loc: Connecticut
My best advice is keep it to 5 days doing Cayo and Tikal and 5 days on either Caye Caulker or Ambergris depending on what kind of people you are. You have probably heard the expression about the eyes being bigger than the head? You don't have any idea about the travel involved between these places. What happened to the kind of honeymoon where you spend some time in bed, or at least near a bed? lol. You can always go back someday.

#64791 - 02 March 05 9:16 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hopkins vs Placencia
windwalker Offline

Loc: Montana
Have you considered getting married at home before your trip, then having your wedding in Belize? You get rid of the four day wait, the legal requirements, and the stress. The wedding could then take place when get to the perfect location and you are free from schedules>

#64792 - 03 March 05 7:00 am - America/Chicago Re: Hopkins vs Placencia
gogobooty Offline

Loc: san francisco, ca usa
hi there~~~

of the two places you asked about, i'd recommend staying in placencia. hopkins is a village with much more limited resources for the visitor. some people prefer a less developed atmosphere but for what you want to do, access is easier and there are more choices available in the placencia area.

if you want a resort diving course, i think robert's grove can provide that and i don't think you have to stay there to take lessons. monkey river trips leave from placencia regularly, the various tour companies put out chalkboard signs with their next day activities so you can just stroll the village and see what's up and make plans for the next day. or have someone from your hotel call for your reservation. you have access to lots of conveniences like relatively well stocked grocery stores, internet cafe/shop, BTL office, small souvenier etc. shops, a wide selection of accomodations in all ranges of price & fanciness, lovely beaches and the best ice cream (gelato) shop in belize. there is also a slight chance of some nightlife in placencia---ask around to find out if a band will be playing anytime while you are there.

both hopkins and placencia are very quiet, laid back locations, hopkins is just the quieter of the two by far. placencia has a little more to offer, in my opinion.

if you leave from san ignacio by about 7/7:30 AM on the bus, you can be in placencia just after noon, seeing a lot along the way. you can also just bus to dangriga, cab to the airport and fly the rest of the way to placencia and be there by mid- morning. i have done the bus from san ignacio to placencia several times and it's a snap. to get back to belize city, fly from placencia to goldson airport and you can plan to be there right when you need to be for check-in.

try not to stress out too much---i think windwalker's idea is a good one and it would take a lot of pressure off your schedule.

cheers
~~~gogo

#64793 - 03 March 05 10:03 am - America/Chicago Re: Hopkins vs Placencia
Inudat Offline

Thank you for all your input. Still think I am going to stick to the plan of the 3 places for now.

We have friends and possibly relatives that will join us for part of the trip for the wedding. We want the actual ceremony to be in Belize. Placencia is more what we had in mind.

We are probably going to hire a guide to drive us from BC to Cayo (after a water taxi to shore) so we can stop if we want to and take pictures and enjoy the scenery along the way - maybe visit the zoo. Same thing for Cayo to Placencia and then take a puddle jumper back to BC.

Right now it is looking like we will do 3 nights AC/CC, 5 nights Cayo (with 1 night at Tikal) then 4 nights in Placencia. Still have to see how much time we can take off though. If not we will rethink this or maybe cut the Cayo to 4 nights and do Caracol instead of Tikal and 3 nights Placencia at the end.

#64794 - 03 March 05 12:29 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hopkins vs Placencia
Barbara K Offline

Loc: New York
Try Errol Flowers for the driver from BZ City to Cayo. 011-501-602-0120. Good guy & guide.

#64795 - 03 March 05 12:31 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hopkins vs Placencia
Inudat Offline

Thanks Barbara - do you have any idea on the approximate cost???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Immigration
by Una Companera
07:19 PM
We all can and do, make a positive difference.
by April05
05:44 PM
New Recipe Mayv=be?
by ConchCr
05:18 PM
Placencia-Man o War
by ginandtonic
11:07 AM
pirates!!!
by thecol
10:35 AM
Dangriga
by alaskatony
08:24 AM
DE HIGH ROLLER COMES TO HOPKINS.
by D InTheShade
12:11 AM
Patrick Jones reporting on shooting death in Sart
by John_Janis
08:26 PM
San Pedro Hotel Accomidations (Tio Pil's Closed ?)
by ConchCr
11:34 AM
Cahuita to Cayo
by terdalfarm
25 July 14 8:26 pm - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE

BookBelize.com | Belizespecials.com | Belize.net | Belizenet.com