Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#254061 - 15 March 19 3:26 pm - America/Chicago 30 day extensions
Mr_keith Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada / cayo Belize
Greetings everyone, I'm planning to immigrate to Belize and eventually become a citizen. I've been traveling here as a tourist for nine years now. I've bought land, built a house an learned lots of new things...thanks!
So here's my question that I couldn't find an answer to in the forums. This year I phoned to Belmopan to make an appointment to have a thirty day passport stamp extension. The person told me I need a visa. I'll only be here for three months this year and I have a return ticket to Canada.
Has anything changed as far as this thirty day stamp works?
Also, I heard I can have my passport stamped at the Bengue border since I live in Cayo. Does anyone know if that is true?
Thanks in advance
Keith.

#254062 - 15 March 19 7:01 pm - America/Chicago Re: 30 day extensions [Re: Mr_keith]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
The initial 30 day visa is stamped into your passport when you arrive so I do not know what the person was asking for. With or without an appointment the immigration should do the extention if you arrive at the immigtration building in Belmopan before the 30th day of first entry. Never known how true it is that they will extend you at the border, as they do not have the ability to take the fee and issue a reciept

#254063 - 16 March 19 7:16 am - America/Chicago Re: 30 day extensions [Re: Mr_keith]
MisterB Offline

Loc: Belize
When I moved to Belize, I didn't need to make an appointment for a new 30-day stamp.

On the last working day before the current stamp expired, I'd go to the nearest Immigration office and ask for a new stamp. I just had to enter some basic personal details in a book and pay the fee. The whole process took 10 to 30 minutes depending on how many people were ahead of me.

I know the Belmopan office is VERY busy -- do you need to make an appointment now? When I was there, it a "take a number & wait" system. After getting the immigration business taken care of, any fees were paid at a separate cashier's counter (another queue).

I've heard that people have got the new stamp at the border.

#254064 - 17 March 19 5:56 am - America/Chicago Re: 30 day extensions [Re: britinbelize]
Mr_keith Offline

Good morning britinbelize, thanks for your response.
Belmopan requests or requires that you call for an appointment these days to do most things. They always seem very very busy so calling for an appointment is probably a step in the right direction.
Last year (2017/18) it was much faster to go all the way to Belize city to get our passport extension stamp. However at the end of my stay last year the Belize city office said that since I stay in Cayo district I can't get my stamp in Belize city and that I must go to Belmopan.
I haven't tried to get a passport extension at a border point yet but I'm sure they are able to collect fees, give receipts and issue stamps because they collect my exit fee, make a receipt and stamp my passport every time I exit Belize.

Thoughts?

#254065 - 17 March 19 6:16 am - America/Chicago Re: 30 day extensions [Re: MisterB]
Mr_keith Offline

Good morning MisterB thanks for your reply.
I do remember just showing up I'm Belmopan and getting a passport extension fairly easy, that was in 2012 till about 2015. Then it became a take a number situation. Several times they had ran out of numbers so you'd be SOL to get a stamp on that day. I was told back then that you'd have to arrive before the office opens and wait in line for a number. I never tried to get there that early so I have no input about whether that works or not.
I would try getting a stamp at the Benque border. I'd like to know for sure if that's a working thing or not. I suppose I could pay a fee and exit the country and then re-enter Belize and get another "first" stamp.
Really what I'm asking is why are the immigration people in Belmopan telling me I need a visa to get a stamp. Is this because I own a house here?
I've read lots of pages at the Belize government web sites and do not see where a Canadian needs a visa to stay in or visit Belize for under a year.

Thoughts?

#254066 - 17 March 19 12:06 pm - America/Chicago Re: 30 day extensions [Re: Mr_keith]
jstewartpa Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania and Hopkins
The immigration people have caught on to jumping the border and coming back shortly after. They will not give you another 30 day visa extension. They will just give you a visa stamp good for the number of days you had remaining when you jumped the border.
Also, not sure if I am reading your post right, but the stamp they put in your passport is your visa. It must be renewed every 30 days or less.

#254067 - 17 March 19 1:11 pm - America/Chicago Re: 30 day extensions [Re: jstewartpa]
Mr_keith Offline

Jstewartpa, Thanks, that makes perfect sense if the person at immigration is calling the 30 day stamp a visa. I've never heard it called that before. On the government website they talk about visas and that people coming from some countries need to get a visa before they can come to Belize. People from most British common wealth counties do not need a visa, same as American citizens. So anyway, I assumed a visa was a completely different thing. I'll be going to Belmopan on the 25th of this month for this stamp/ visa, so I'll have to keep you all posted about what happens.
I've never tried to exit and return at a border. I've followed all the rules from when I first arrived here in 2008. So I'll stick to following along.
I love Belize and as soon as everything is ready here I'm my little Belize home and all my affairs in Canada are squared away I'm looking forward to staying here.

Thanks for your input Jstewartpa
Keith

#254068 - 17 March 19 4:33 pm - America/Chicago Re: 30 day extensions [Re: Mr_keith]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
I think the person at Belmopan may have been trying to establish the date of your arrival, to make the appointment date closest to the 30 day point, The office doesny work weekends and public holidays so often the 30 days can become 28 days or even less if your date is the last day of a 3 or 4 day weekend because of public holiday.
For quite a while the Belmopan office was also seeing those without appointments, the all appointment regime must be fairly recent. It is a great improvement on 'take a number then sit on the bleachers outside all day ' at the old office. Never tried the border thing.
If they think you are trying to gain the system with a quick day trip over the border they will not give you the 30 days new visa just to the next 30 day date due from last immigration stamp.

#254069 - 18 March 19 11:32 am - America/Chicago Re: 30 day extensions [Re: Mr_keith]
jstewartpa Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania and Hopkins
Here is the complete list of countries that require a pre-approved visas, and those that do not. http://belizehighcommission.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Bze-Visa-Requirements-Web-Version.pdf

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
30 day extensions
by jstewartpa
18 March 19 11:32 am - America/Chicago
How can I get police records while living abroad?
by Nur123
13 March 19 12:52 pm - America/Chicago
Anyone interested
by Alwysu2
07 March 19 1:25 pm - America/Chicago
Anyone interested?
by Alwysu2
07 March 19 1:21 pm - America/Chicago
For Rent - Consejo - Corozal
by mcagun
06 March 19 5:29 am - America/Chicago
Interesting conversation about Belize referendum.
by D InTheShade
06 March 19 4:52 am - America/Chicago
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
by britinbelize
01 March 19 11:57 am - America/Chicago
shipping to Belize
by NevadaJoe
24 February 19 9:18 am - America/Chicago
Pueblo Nuevo
by GZboat
21 February 19 11:25 am - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE