Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253854 - 20 November 18 1:58 pm - America/Chicago Possible Travel Schedule?
DistantHoriz Offline

We are planning an 8 day trip to Belize in Jan (arrive Jan 7), and we're wanting to experience a lot of it. What do you guys think about this schedule? Is it too much? Is it feasible? Are we being realistic about the travel times? We haven't booked anything yet, so things can be changed. Thank you!

Mon- Arrive in Belize City, between 1:30-2pm, check into hotel.

Tues- Group tour at Lamani from Belize City, return to Belize City

Wed- Day long cave tubing from Belize City, return to Belize City

Thurs - Rent car and drive to Hopkins (leave around 7am, arrive no later than 10am) Eat lunch, check into hotel, and possibly go kayaking.

Fri- Snorkeling and fishing trip from Hopkins.

Sat- Hiking at the Mayflower Boccowina National Park. Leave Hopkins by 1pm, drive back to Belize City, return rental, and catch a water taxi to Caye Caulker.

Sun- Enjoy Caye Caulker

Mon- Take water taxi to Belize City, flight from BC leaves at 3pm.

Edited by DistantHoriz (20 November 18 4:56 pm - America/Chicago)

#253857 - 20 November 18 3:50 pm - America/Chicago Re: Possible Travel Schedule? [Re: DistantHoriz]
D InTheShade Offline

Loc: Calgary, Mile 5 Southern Hwy
Yes.
Belize is OK most of the time

#253858 - 20 November 18 4:27 pm - America/Chicago Re: Possible Travel Schedule? [Re: DistantHoriz]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
Just fyi it is normal that as well as starting a topic in the one actually adds some information or question, as an actual message.

Not being mean just trying to help.

#253859 - 20 November 18 4:36 pm - America/Chicago Re: Possible Travel Schedule? [Re: britinbelize]
DistantHoriz Offline

I don't know why it's blank, I keep trying to edit the post, but every time I save the edits, the text disappears!

#253860 - 20 November 18 4:48 pm - America/Chicago Re: Possible Travel Schedule? [Re: DistantHoriz]
DistantHoriz Offline

Fixed it! I'm sorry it was blank for a while guys frown

#253864 - 22 November 18 5:34 am - America/Chicago Re: Possible Travel Schedule? [Re: DistantHoriz]
jstewartpa Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania and Hopkins
If you are going to Hopkins after cave tubing why not rent the car Tuesday night, drive to Cave Branch to Cave tube, stay there overnight, and then drive to Hopkins. Saves time back tracking to Belize City.
Also, Saturday is a pretty tight schedule. It will take 3 hours to get to the car rental place. Then you have to get to the water taxi. I'm not sure when the last one leaves to CC.

#253866 - 22 November 18 7:49 am - America/Chicago Re: Possible Travel Schedule? [Re: jstewartpa]
DistantHoriz Offline

We have been wondering, will our possessions be safe locked in a rental car if we leave them while we go tubing, or hiking in Mayflower Bocawina? We aren't bringing cameras or anything special, but it would still be a pain if our bags with clothes and phone chargers were stolen, especially if a rental car window were broken.

Not sure if we have to get a Jeep Patriot from Crystal to get to hiking location (as opposed to getting an Elantra with a trunk to keep valuables out of sight). I still have to figure this out.

I already had suspicions that Saturday was too tight, thank you for confirming that!

Thinking maybe driving to Belmopan for tubing on Wednesday would allow us to get to Mayflower Bocawina to go hiking on Thursday (instead of Kayaking). That way we have more time Saturday.

Thanks for your thoughts!

#253867 - 22 November 18 4:25 pm - America/Chicago Re: Possible Travel Schedule? [Re: DistantHoriz]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
the elantra is a poor quality for the Belize roads outside of the main built uo areas and highways. We live about 8 minutes off the main highway and i would not trust an Elantra on our dirt roads to last very long. The Jeep patriots are great little jeeps and can get anywhere.
I have never worried about thefts from vehicles. Often when out and about we have lots of stuff in the van or truck, never had anything touched. Truth be told mostly do not even lock the van, on the logic that it is so old and battered no one would want to steal it.
If they Really want to steal from you they will just take the vehicle.
Most crime is opportunist and having to break into a car just hoping there might be good stuff to steal is a bit too much like hard work for the opportunist. If on the other hand you are flashing all your goodies about and visibly pack them into your car and leave tit then I think you would get tiefed. Crystal give you a cool box wit a rental which is handy for popping valuables into then just casually throwing into the back seat.

#253875 - 28 November 18 6:43 am - America/Chicago Re: Possible Travel Schedule? [Re: DistantHoriz]
Breezy Offline

Loc: Ladyville
Why not hike Thursday afternoon and then Saturday do some kayaking and get on the road to Belize City midday giving you plenty of time to return rental and get the ferry to Caye Caulker. Have a great trip!

#253897 - 05 December 18 7:15 pm - America/Chicago Re: Possible Travel Schedule? [Re: Breezy]
DistantHoriz Offline

I'd have to look back at the schedule we developed, but I think we ended up planning to do just that! Pretty excited!

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Proceeds from Sale of Real Estate
by Osprey
Today at 09:05 AM
Belize real estate
by DrMexico
Today at 08:43 AM
Belize real estate
by Rosie731
Today at 02:53 AM
What groceries/supplies available in Dangriga?
by jstewartpa
07 December 18 11:04 am - America/Chicago
Shipping from Ontario
by Belcan
07 December 18 9:37 am - America/Chicago
Belize real estate
by DrMexico
07 December 18 4:32 am - America/Chicago

by Rosie731
06 December 18 2:24 am - America/Chicago
Snorkel conditions for November?
by Razoo