Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253807 - 04 November 18 2:04 pm - America/Chicago Just curious, what types of computer jobs there are in Belize
gmaffPappy Offline

I'm a computer consultant, and have worked as the Enterprise Information Architect for many large international firms. I have an extensive development, management, and strategic planning experience, specialized in data warehousing.
My wive and I are considering retiring to Belize, but I'd like to keep on working, if opportunities exist.
So, the question, "Are there many, if any, computer consulting type positions available in Belize, or do people, in that field, normally telecommute from Belize and work with companies in other countries?"

Thanks!

#253808 - 04 November 18 5:57 pm - America/Chicago Re: Just curious, what types of computer jobs there are in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
In Belize the truth is there are some computer jobs . BUT they are only for qualified Belize citizens and legal residents.
Getting a Job as an expat in Belize is possible but not probable.
You will not be able to work at all if you are retiring to Belize under the QRP.
If you are going to go the Legal resident route you will need a work Permit which may or may not be issued, and will still only get any job that there is NO qualified Belizean who wants it.

#253809 - 04 November 18 8:28 pm - America/Chicago Re: Just curious, what types of computer jobs there are in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
ElDorado Offline

Loc: Belize
britinbelize is a little too pessimistic I think. There are very few people in Belize who are capable of designing and building enterprise systems. Most government departments have little or no proper computerisation yet, but they would like to. The larger companies are also looking at getting some ERP in place. Bowen & Bowen implemented SAP a couple of years ago (I don't know if they think they got value for money), some of the other large (for Belize) companies are looking at Odoo, which is my area and recommendation.
The main trick to getting such work is meeting the right people. The Chamber of Commerce might be a good place to start. A work permit is not likely to be a problem, and once you have residency is not needed.

#253810 - 05 November 18 5:02 pm - America/Chicago Re: Just curious, what types of computer jobs there are in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]

Just realized the initial poster also said in another post that their plans are to retire to Belize in TEN years time, so possibly questions of availability of jobs in Belize is a little early.
The Belize of today is very different to the Belize of Ten years ago. Who knows if there will even be a Belize if the IJC decide to give it to the Bully next door.

#253811 - 06 November 18 9:24 am - America/Chicago Re: Just curious, what types of computer jobs there are in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
Osprey Offline

Loc: Placencia, Cape Cod, MA
I don't know much about the job market today for IT and computer consulting, but I do know that there are many kids today, born in Belize, who are very serious about getting an education. I know of a few kids from Indian Creek, a village near Punta Gorda without electricity, who are now working in banks, resort management, and even doing consulting in Africa. It's my hope that in another decade these same kids will be running IT departments for the government of Belize and for Belizean companies. I know of other kids born in better circumstances in Belize, who are going to the USA for an education and then bringing that knowledge back to Belize. These kids are Belize's future. It's my hope that instead of "retirees" from the USA swooping in to take the good jobs, that Belizean natives will find the education to be able to work in their own country.

#253812 - 06 November 18 3:40 pm - America/Chicago Re: Just curious, what types of computer jobs there are in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]

Have to agree I honestly can not think why an expat retiree, or any expat come to think about it, should think they should take the better paying jobs in Belize on the assumption that Belize cannot produce educated citizens to do those jobs.
Contrary to popular belief Belize general education is actually quite good, just not the same curriculum as that of the US. But Different is not automatically poorer.

#253824 - 09 November 18 1:48 pm - America/Chicago Re: Just curious, what types of computer jobs there are in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
gmaffPappy Offline

Yah, 10 years is the target, but who knows. If we find the right hill to build our house on, it could be sooner :-)
Thanks for the info!

As for the other: I have no desire to take jobs from the people of Belize, where did I ever imply that was my intention?

Half of my job has always been to mentor and teach those I work with. My job has always been to work my way out of a contract by leaving the client not only self sufficient to support the solution, but also with the skills and new expertise, mindsets, and methodologies to expand on their solutions to meet future needs. I've done this successfully for over 20 years with clients in Finance on Wall Street to Healthcare in Honolulu, and about every location and industry in between.

That's not something you get from fresh people out of school or people who have "some" experience. Even here in the US, experienced Sr. people with the desire to pass on their trade are hard to find. Good Mentors are as much of a treasured resource as those young people who need them, and in the future, will replace them. I wouldn't be in this place in my career without great mentors who felt the same.

I may be in "IT", but that doesn't mean I don't have a passion for teaching. What nation doesn't need specialized, dedicated mentors, especially if they are in an emerging market?

#253832 - 10 November 18 6:33 pm - America/Chicago Re: Just curious, what types of computer jobs there are in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]

When questions are raised as to the availability of Positions in Belize they are usually from someone who is looking for a paid position and often hoping for the sort of salary they would get at home. A "high" salary in Belize would be $50k bze per year.

The tittle was asking about "jobs" so i reached the wrong conclusion sorry.

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Proceeds from Sale of Real Estate
by Osprey
Today at 09:05 AM
Belize real estate
by DrMexico
Today at 08:43 AM
Belize real estate
by Rosie731
Today at 02:53 AM
What groceries/supplies available in Dangriga?
by jstewartpa
07 December 18 11:04 am - America/Chicago
Shipping from Ontario
by Belcan
07 December 18 9:37 am - America/Chicago
Belize real estate
by DrMexico
07 December 18 4:32 am - America/Chicago

by Rosie731
06 December 18 2:24 am - America/Chicago
Snorkel conditions for November?
by Razoo