Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253817 - 09 November 18 8:31 am - America/Chicago Confusing between USA $ and B$
The_Farmer Offline

Loc: RSA
Hello every1
thx for the opportunity to explore the possibilities to invest and buy properties and starting a business in possible Belize
i have a few questions to ask but Firstly i am South Africa an Professional Architect Technologist and a Farmer i Farm with soil and with out soil my main produce i plant in soil are Corn Wheat Sunflower and soya. Soil less i do Herbs i have retired on my profession but still practice it to close clients i dealt with over the years my specialty is Residential Industrial and i do full project management. that is just something about myself what i want to know is.1) what restrictions will i encounter when i came and visit Belize Feb next year to locate agriculture properties to develop it in a agricultural business 2) what restrictions will i encounter when i come to visit Belize to buy residential properties for the lease market. 3)What restrictions will i encounter to buy commercial properties for the tourist environment eg Bed and breakfast backpackers overnight stay 4) why do Belize advise their sales in USA$ and why dont they promote Belize $ more
thx for the chance of exploring Belize
Thx ahead for honesty and professional answers

Edited by The_Farmer (09 November 18 8:49 am - America/Chicago)

#253818 - 09 November 18 10:37 am - America/Chicago Re: Confusing between USA $ and B$ [Re: The_Farmer]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
The reason many sugest prices in US$ is the Belize dollar is a non transferable currency. Basically the Belize dollar can be spent freely in Belize but if you take several Hundred Belize dollars anywhere outside of Belize you will have extreme difficulties spending them. Purchasing property is not a problem starting your own business is not too difficult.
Belize is a very poor country if you are looking for an investment area to make large returns Belize may not be your best bet. Agriculture and tourism are the main comercial businesses, and are as a result the most competative also.

#253823 - 09 November 18 1:37 pm - America/Chicago Re: Confusing between USA $ and B$ [Re: The_Farmer]
The_Farmer Offline

Thx for the honest answer
my main target is not to make a heap full of money but to secure a future for me and my family in the long run heaps of money can be made through export if i want to take that route

how is the exporting of grain like corn sunflower and soya and perhaps wheat to bigger neighboring markets like Guatemala and or perhaps panama even Puerto Rico even into mexico and will there be any restrictions going that route i also have my EC drivers license ( heavy duty like they say 24 wheeler or 36 tonner )
tx again for the feed back

Edited by The_Farmer (09 November 18 1:41 pm - America/Chicago)

#253826 - 09 November 18 7:31 pm - America/Chicago Re: Confusing between USA $ and B$ [Re: The_Farmer]

I have a friend who has a 700 acre farm he runs mainly cattle Dairy and beef and citrus it is a a beautiful place. There is not huge amounts of farms exporting anything much other than Sugar and citrus.
The biggest Banana producer/exporter has been in limbo after criminal charges against the owner caused the overseas purchasers to abandon the company, not sure what is happening in the banana industry these days.
Don't know if there would be restrictions on exporting foodstuffs to those countries but keep in mind Belize is Tiny compared to all its neighbors, so there could be problems with being competative.
If you were to bring a truck that large into Belize the duty and taxes are going to be enormous.

#253827 - 09 November 18 9:51 pm - America/Chicago Re: Confusing between USA $ and B$ [Re: The_Farmer]
The_Farmer Offline

Tx for ur answers
what i can make out of these answers is that Belize dont really want investors that can bring in work for the population and that they dont really want foreigners in there country
well will look at a few more countries around there and get there attitudes and see were who really wants to grow
tx alot

#253829 - 10 November 18 11:26 am - America/Chicago Re: Confusing between USA $ and B$ [Re: The_Farmer]
ElDorado Online   content

Loc: Belize
I think you have got the wrong impression there. Belize is one the easiest countries for foreigners to move to, especially (most) Commonwealth citizens. You can turn up at the border, get a tourist visa and stay as long as you want provided you renew your visa every month. A work permit is merely a matter of paying the fee and dealing with some rather inefficient bureaucracy. Not required if you are self-employed. Stay a year and you can apply for residency. There are no restrictions on foreigners buying property or registering a company. The problems people describe here are the same for locals.
The citrus industry in particular is crying out for more growers. You sell your fruit to the factory, you don't have to deal with exporting yourself at all. As long as you aren't hoping to export all your profits I would expect your investment to be most welcome.
Some Mennonites have been ripping out old citrus and replacing it with corn. Not sure soya, wheat or sunflowers are well suited to our climate. Note that GMOs are not currently allowed.

#253830 - 10 November 18 1:37 pm - America/Chicago Re: Confusing between USA $ and B$ [Re: The_Farmer]
The_Farmer Offline

Hi Thx alot
i do not believe in GMOs and i think every farmer in the world should stay away from RoundUp i wanna feed a nation not causing it to get cancer and birth deficits so that the medical industry can bleed them to death
i wanna come to Belize for 1 reason and 1 reason only i wanna retire there but i dont wanna sit still i cant sit still that is why i will keep on with both of my professions if Belize would allow me the freedom to do what i love to do without placing restriction on me to kill but rather to let me grow because i believe if i can grow in Belize i will and can create more work opportunities

I hope we can continue this conversation in a light where we have opportunities and optimistic because i am coming Feb 2019 to Belize i am also going to Panama and to Gautemala i wanna experience the possibilities first hand and will speak to all government departments and if all is well and the way is open for me and my family i will start buy properties in all 3 areas like residential commercial and agricultural Yes where ever i read and do research i will have to appoint a lawyer to do all the transactions for me and i am starting to talk to a few real estate people which candidate is trust worthy because i will only bring my family thru in September 2019 (that said if the doors is open for business for me in Belize)
Thx again at least there are a few that see the future rosy

Thx again

Edited by The_Farmer (10 November 18 1:42 pm - America/Chicago)

#253831 - 10 November 18 6:23 pm - America/Chicago Re: Confusing between USA $ and B$ [Re: The_Farmer]

I hope I did not give the impression doing business here is hard.

Bringing in any form of business that will create jobs for the local populace is much needed and indeed the country will not put up barriers to that. I was just trying to put a realistic slant. If you were hoping to make a large fortune and transfer that fortune out of the country that would be more difficult.
There are large tracts of land for sale all over Belize, some will be suited to grow some crops better than others. If you start a business you are in fact still self employed and you will still need a "self employed work permit" That will not be difficult as you intend to create employment. Buying any property you will need a lawyer to ensure all is correct, but if all is straightforward purchasing in Belize is easy and not problematic.
The realtor market in Belize is not as regulated as most anywhere else in the world. Much land and property never reaches a realtors office and Belizeans themselves rarely ever use them. A visit to the areas you are interested in and a few questions in the localality you will be told who is selling in that area.
In the 30 years I have known and loved Belize one phrase recurs very regularly, often slightly different wording, the Gist being "If you want to take home a million dollars from Belize you need to bring 2 Million dollars with you.

I suggest you go on line and look for the "Belize agriculture report" it is printed (and on line) a few times a year it can give you an idea of what is/can be grown in Belize.

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Proceeds from Sale of Real Estate
by Habeneros
09:10 AM