Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253785 - 31 October 18 10:15 am - America/Chicago New member looking to retire in Belize
gmaffPappy Online   content

My new wife and are are starting to plan our retirement, and are seriously considering Belize. I thought this would be a great place for research and learning about the country.
We are both in our mid 40's and want to retire in about 10 years, but are looking to find some land so we can start building our home of the future.
My wife is an attorney from China. We're working on getting her visa status changed to permanent U.S. resident and eventually citizen. So we have questions about even visiting Belize until that changes. Her ideal place to retire is somewhere peaceful she can sit, read, grow vegetables and relax with a slow life.
I'm a computer consultant by trade, so computers and connectivity will be a really big part of what I'm looking for. But I'm also into woodworking, mostly cabinetry and colonial furniture. I have a whole wood-shop I plan on bringing with me, so 220v power is very important. My other loves are Fishing and SCUBA diving. I'm a Dive Master. So, with the abundance of great wood and the clear waters, Belize sounds like a paradise.

#253786 - 31 October 18 4:45 pm - America/Chicago Re: New member looking to retire in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
D InTheShade Offline

Loc: Calgary, Mile 5 Southern Hwy
We have nominal 240v in our subdivision and hot 123v out of the receptacles. Bring your power tools.

#253787 - 31 October 18 4:56 pm - America/Chicago Re: New member looking to retire in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
One slight problem the great "Wood" is inland and the great scuba is on the Cayes or the southern coastal areas.
10 years is a long way out, plenty of time to have lots of visits, perhaps to a different area and at a different time of the year each visit. After half a dozen visits you would be in a better position to decide exactly where you feel would be your ideal destination or if Belize is still the place you wish to retire to. Then is the time to look for land for you retirement home.
Unless you choose a city center ( there are only 2) or the center of Touristy San pedro your wife should be able to find the tranquility she seeks.

#253795 - 01 November 18 9:52 am - America/Chicago Re: New member looking to retire in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Are you a cave diver? If so, for a variety of reasons, the Corozal District may be a good fit. It's not very touristy but does have an international expat community. It's mostly rural/agricultural with one big town that can provide for most needs. There are a number of very charming smaller villages and lots of available land. It's not very "beachy", but there are some nice small seaside spots. The fresh water resources, primarily the New River (there are others), are under-utilized at this time. That's good for fishing. It's close to Mexico, which is helpful for some shopping and advanced medical needs.
The Corozal District has lots of intact forests and a wide variety of locally available lumber. There are several sawmills in the Mennonite community of Little Belize where you can order just what you want. If you aren't already familiar, learning about the local woods should be a fun project for you.
The best saltwater fishing and open water diving is out at the cayes, but they aren't far off. It's a 20 minute flight or a 2 hour boat ride. There is not a dive shop anywhere in the Corozal District, nor the neighboring Orange Walk District either, as far as I know. However, there are cenotes, unexplored cenotes, in the district. I know of at least two in Little Belize. There are possibilities there.
I can't, and wouldn't, say that the Corozal District is absolutely right for you and your wife, but I do think it would be worth a close, thorough look.
Greg

#253796 - 01 November 18 9:53 am - America/Chicago Re: New member looking to retire in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
GZboat Offline

Are you a cave diver? If so, for a variety of reasons, the Corozal District may be a good fit. It's not very touristy but does have an international expat community. It's mostly rural/agricultural with one big town that can provide for most needs. There are a number of very charming smaller villages and lots of available land. It's not very "beachy", but there are some nice small seaside spots. The fresh water resources, primarily the New River (there are others), are under-utilized at this time. That's good for fishing. It's close to Mexico, which is helpful for some shopping and advanced medical needs.
The Corozal District has lots of intact forests and a wide variety of locally available lumber. There are several sawmills in the Mennonite community of Little Belize where you can order just what you want. If you aren't already familiar, learning about the local woods should be a fun project for you.
The best saltwater fishing and open water diving is out at the cayes, but they aren't far off. It's a 20 minute flight or a 2 hour boat ride. There is not a dive shop anywhere in the Corozal District, nor the neighboring Orange Walk District either, as far as I know. However, there are cenotes, unexplored cenotes, in the district. I know of at least two in Little Belize. There are possibilities there.
I can't, and wouldn't, say that the Corozal District is absolutely right for you and your wife, but I do think it would be worth a close, thorough look.
Greg

#253802 - 02 November 18 11:03 pm - America/Chicago Re: New member looking to retire in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
jstewartpa Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania and Hopkins
If your wife has a multi-visit visa to the USA then she can visit Belize and obtain a tourist visa upon arrival.

#253822 - 09 November 18 1:16 pm - America/Chicago Re: New member looking to retire in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
gmaffPappy Online   content

Thanks All for the responses.

Ten years is the target, but we'd like to start the plan now, buy land, start building, vacation down there, then retire full-time.
I was planning on building with the intention of solar power for the home, but for the shop, that may be a little overboard, so I'm glad to hear that if I need the extra power, it's readily available.
I've always, since the first time I put a reg in my mouth, wanted to cave dive. I love wreck diving and have a lot of lava tube dives in the log. Tech diving is next, and caves are the next evolution. I'm glad to hear those types of sites are plentiful.
I was already seriously considering Corozal for all the reasons listed (healthcare, shopping, etc.), but really like the idea of working with the Mennonites. I know they are great craftsmen. Add all that up, and the possibility of finding a hill with a sea view on one side of the house and mountain view on the other, makes it a really attractive location. Of course, we'll have to visit all the areas, as web research only goes so far. Ying will have her Visa before the end of year, and we can't wait to start the search for the perfect community and hill on which to retire.

Thanks again all.

#253837 - 12 November 18 7:27 am - America/Chicago Re: New member looking to retire in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
zappy Offline

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan
Coronal has lots but there are no mountains ... Anything that looks like a mountain in Corozal in a Mayan Ruin.

But Corozal is a great p!ace. Check out ... http://consejo.bz
https://mayanseaside.webs.com
https://www.consejoshores.com
https://www.consejolandings.bz
http://smugglersdenbelize.tripod.com
https://caribbeanland.net/belize.htm

This is a very nice practical area 8 miles North of Corozal Town.

#253841 - 13 November 18 9:22 am - America/Chicago Re: New member looking to retire in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
GZboat Offline

The on-grid/off-grid power thing is a little bit tricky. The law, as I understand it, is that if BEL grid power is available at your property and you want electricity, you have to buy it from them. If BEL power is unavailable (the vast majority of rural Belize), you are welcome to generate your own. Currently there is no allowance for co-generation. What most off-grid folks who have occasional high electricity demands (wash day is the most common) do is buy either a diesel, gas, or natural gas generator to supplement their solar or hybrid solar/wind systems. The Mennonites of Little Belize are the go-to guys for off-grid electrical generation. They design, sell, and install complete systems and build their own wind turbines. They have made it their business to really know the drill. There are places, especially on the Cerros peninsula of the Corozal District, where you can get a hilltop house site with a cool seaview to the east of the Corozal Bay. To the west it'll be mostly flat (some small hills), but it'll also be miles of unbroken forest. Not so shabby. The mountains of Belize are quite far from the Corozal District.
If you were to start diving the cenotes of the Corozal District, you would be a real pioneer. To my knowledge, it has not been done before. I'd think the the Government of Belize's Archaeology Department would be very interested. The Director, Dr. Jaime Awe, is a very approachable gentleman.
Greg

#253849 - Yesterday at 09:00 AM Re: New member looking to retire in Belize [Re: gmaffPappy]
Habeneros Online   content

I have three parcels for sale on ambergris caye west coast which are off grid, they have beach front and lagoon front. I have also one parcel on the east coast with beach front and power! PM me for details!

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Proceeds from Sale of Real Estate
by Habeneros
09:10 AM