Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253688 - 17 September 18 10:10 am - America/Chicago Re: Liquor, beer and wine prices ? [Re: armandgreg]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Just a question: wouldn't buying at the "Duty Free" shops in the arrivals plaza of Philip Goldston be more about selection than price? Don't they carry imported brands that aren't normally available in local stores? Okay, so two questions.
Greg

#253689 - 17 September 18 12:39 pm - America/Chicago Re: Liquor, beer and wine prices ? [Re: armandgreg]
Osprey Offline

Loc: Placencia, Cape Cod, MA
I can only speak about Placencia; but the selection in a couple of the Chinese grocery stores is extensive. They have rum from across the Caribbean (with prices the same as Boston area) and all sorts of high end Scotch and Gin. In particular, what I found most egregious was the price of Travellers Don Omario 15 Year Rum at "duty free" at the arrivals baggage claim was US$75 last March when it was US$50 in the local stores.

#253690 - 18 September 18 9:56 am - America/Chicago Re: Liquor, beer and wine prices ? [Re: armandgreg]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Interesting. It's been awhile, but as best I remember the Chinese stores in Corozal Town usually had a great assortment of local products but not much else. It may be the difference in demand between a very tourist-oriented area and one that isn't so much. And I definitely haven't checked out every Chinese grocery in Corozal, not by any means. There was quite a bit more Caribbean beer available on my last visit. Inflated prices at airport shops shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It clearly comes with the turf. Just visit a food court in any US airport and order a hot dog............
Greg

#253693 - 18 September 18 7:32 pm - America/Chicago Re: Liquor, beer and wine prices ? [Re: armandgreg]
britinbelize Offline

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
It is assumed that duty free means cheaper, but it is not Profit free. Particularly at incoming airport duty free shops as tourists do not know yet the local pricing. Not just Belize, We found similar disparities in Europe recently.

#253720 - 12 October 18 12:24 pm - America/Chicago Re: Liquor, beer and wine prices ? [Re: armandgreg]
Breezy Offline

Loc: Ladyville
Top shelf alcohol much cheaper in arrivals duty free. Local products cheaper in country and readily available.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
shipping to Belize
by EllaF
01:36 PM
New to Belize Forum
by EllaF
01:27 PM
Little League Baseball Belize
by GZboat
10:19 AM
Company formation
by Habeneros
16 October 18 3:33 pm - America/Chicago
Liquor, beer and wine prices ?
by Breezy
12 October 18 12:24 pm - America/Chicago
Belize vs Mexico
by Jadee
08 October 18 4:27 am - America/Chicago
Finding "medium-term" accommodations in Corozal?
by Dave Bunk
08 October 18 3:58 am - America/Chicago
Google Earth updates
by D InTheShade
05 October 18 7:52 am - America/Chicago
looking for accommodation in Corozal , BZ for the month of January
by poudreman
04 October 18 9:55 am - America/Chicago
New procedures with Central Bank
by gelint
23 September 18 4:58 pm - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE