Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253500 - 09 August 18 9:18 am - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: Habeneros]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Clearly, Habaneros, you don't want to hire a real estate lawyer and pay the associated fees (pretty modest fees, by the way). You are obviously looking for someone to tell you what you already want to hear. It's not likely you'll get that on this forum, but it's also just as "not likely" that you'll be convinced by anything the experienced Belize real estate buyers here have to say. So, at this point, it's probably best for you to do what you've already decided you want to do, fly solo. Best of luck with that, but please don't come crying back here if you get burned.
Greg

#253505 - 10 August 18 4:49 pm - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: Habeneros]
Phil_B Offline

Loc: Camalote Village
I would submit that H. is actually correct. What you'll be paying lawyers and agents for would be the gross incompetence and corruption that you are BOUND to run into. It took 4 years to get my title, but I bought from someone I could trust (Belizean even). Together, and with Scotia Banks help,we muddled through all of lands claims of outstanding lien/loans on the property. That said, the seller DID have to pay a lawyer to get some paperwork filed with the bank/lands. I would still NOT recommend not using a lawyer.

#253506 - 10 August 18 7:27 pm - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: Habeneros]
Habeneros Offline

If you take a look at the land certificate you will see any issues there are with the land ownership! You can submit a title search at the land registry, costs a few dollars. Let me tell you after buying and selling land in Belize for more than a decade that's all a lawyer will do and in fact can do! They have no more right to information than you have and why should they! If the land is leased land then you are walking in a mine field not even a lawyer will save you! Sight of the land certificate is paramount! A realtor can do it and that's fine as they are just the same as you "Normal" The question that I actually asked relates to if Realtors are "short selling" because they are doing so little business these days!

#253507 - 11 August 18 8:23 am - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: Habeneros]
GZboat Offline

Phil and Habaneros, you have a right to your opinions and I would not argue that. I have a right to mine and I don't share yours. The only encumbrances shown on a land certificate are those filed with the Lands Office. Those are not the only legal and enforceable encumbrances. Say you are buying a lot from Juan X and the land certificate is in the name of Juan X. Looks fine, right? Except that the Juan X on the certificate (information taken from the older deed) isn't the seller, it's the seller's grandfather and there were six heirs in his will. No "paperwork" was addressed until someone decided to sell, but maybe all the heirs don't want to sell or don't agree on the price. Maybe some other relatives, heirs or not, made improvements on the property and expect recompense when the property sells. Boy howdy do I know about that one, from direct, personal experience! Any of those scenarios could land you in court or in a confrontation with a neighbor. As far as I know, there are no independent title searching companies in Belize, and no title insurance companies at all. Given that, the services of a well-respected, experienced law firm is your best bet to avoid future problems.
Greg

#253508 - 11 August 18 10:05 am - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: Habeneros]
britinbelize Offline

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
Maybe a opening in a niche market to open up such a titlle search business.

#253509 - 11 August 18 5:41 pm - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: Habeneros]
Habeneros Offline

Greg, my friend you are in the realms of fantasy. Here are the procedures that a person should go through when they buy property: Determine the asking price, determine the current owner which is done by asking for site of the land certificate, ask to see the identity papers of the person named on the certificate and confirm that the person selling are the same as shown on his identity papers. If it where the case that the owner is dead then you would know this and you would not go ahead with the purchase because they would say I am acting for the dead person, in which case do not go ahead. This is common sense. If it where the case that the seller died before completing the purchase then the ownership of the land does not change, it now belongs to the estate of the dead person. Who ever deals with the distribution of the estate has to settle with the purchase of the land as you have first shout on the land and not those inheriting, they have to settle with the dead persons estate. Even if you used a lawyer the process is the same. If a person does not know that they must check and confirm all papers with the seller than that person should not be let out of their own house, its obvious!

Edited by Habeneros (11 August 18 5:45 pm - America/Chicago)

#253512 - 12 August 18 7:42 am - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: Habeneros]
GZboat Offline

Habaneros, this is a pointless conversation. The examples of problems with land sales I cited are taken from real life, from situations of which I am personally aware. Some have been reported and discussed on this forum. I've owned property in Belize since 2001, so I am familiar with both the old deed system and the newer land certificate system as well. No matter what I say, or what examples I cite, you are going to cling to your belief that real estate lawyers are unnecessary. Good luck with that. It's certainly your prerogative, but you are not going to convince me either. I'm not going to waste any more of your time, or mine, trying to convince you. There truly is no point.
Greg
P.S. I agree, britinbelize, that for someone with a research orientation, opening a title search business in Belize could be very successful.

#253516 - 12 August 18 3:51 pm - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: Habeneros]
dkafka Offline

Loc: Placencia Belize
if in doubt and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy just get title insurance. RFG will write the policy and it is Stuart Title out of Texas.
615-9622

#253519 - 13 August 18 10:38 am - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: Habeneros]
GZboat Offline

Interesting David, I did not know title insurance was available in Belize. I'm not concerned for myself. I've owned my place for 15 years or so. Any problems would have surfaced long ago, but it's nice to know it's available for other folks.
Greg

#253522 - 14 August 18 12:00 pm - America/Chicago Re: Are Realtors Real [Re: GZboat]
jstewartpa Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania and Hopkins
Not all property can have title insurance written on it. If it is available it will cost you about an additional 1%.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
shipping to Belize
by EllaF
5 seconds ago
New to Belize Forum
by EllaF
9 minutes 41 seconds ago
Little League Baseball Belize
by GZboat
Today at 10:19 AM
Company formation
by Habeneros
16 October 18 3:33 pm - America/Chicago
Liquor, beer and wine prices ?
by Breezy
12 October 18 12:24 pm - America/Chicago
Belize vs Mexico
by Jadee
08 October 18 4:27 am - America/Chicago
Finding "medium-term" accommodations in Corozal?
by Dave Bunk
08 October 18 3:58 am - America/Chicago
Google Earth updates
by D InTheShade
05 October 18 7:52 am - America/Chicago
looking for accommodation in Corozal , BZ for the month of January
by poudreman
04 October 18 9:55 am - America/Chicago
New procedures with Central Bank
by gelint
23 September 18 4:58 pm - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE