Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253439 - 10 July 18 7:14 am - America/Chicago Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX
BZ3940 Offline

Hey everyone,

My family and I moved to Belize 6 months ago and LOVE it. I was recently given a vehicle in the states and would like to drive it to BZ through Mexico. The car will be staying in Belize. I am looking for any advice on this topic, specifically information regarding customs brokers, insurance companies, duties and border crossings.

From my research so far, it seems that most of these things can be handled at the border when crossing. However, I would like to prepare as much as possible ahead of time. I am hoping to find a customs broker in BZ who can help me with the whole process. Trying to keep everything economical, which is why I am avoiding shipping the car. I know I will be paying a large fee to import the car to Belize, but being that it was a gift, it will still be cheaper than buying a vehicle there.

Thank you!!!

#253441 - 10 July 18 3:19 pm - America/Chicago Re: Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX [Re: BZ3940]
JohnP Online   content

Loc: Michigan / Sittee River
You might be surprised shipping is not that bad, and thats coming from someone who has driven 10 times down and back.

Try to have everything set up a head of time. They will need to value the vehicle and that is where the problem lies. Once your sitting there they can hit you hard knowing your not driving it back.

#253442 - 10 July 18 4:00 pm - America/Chicago Re: Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX [Re: BZ3940]
gelint Offline

Loc: Norway , Iowa
Give Julie a gold star.Long 4 days through Mexico !

#253443 - 11 July 18 7:56 am - America/Chicago Re: Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX [Re: BZ3940]
JohnP Online   content

Four days? Ask here if she stop at every happy hour, LOL

#253446 - 11 July 18 6:41 pm - America/Chicago Re: Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX [Re: BZ3940]
gelint Offline

Too many doggy stops!!!!

#253447 - 12 July 18 8:45 am - America/Chicago Re: Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX [Re: BZ3940]
BZ3940 Offline

Thanks for your advice JohnP! Nice to hear from someone who's done it 10 times! Gelint-- How did Julie make out?? I've read much of your Hopkins here we come thread, we are also living in Hopkins.. hoping to be back in time for Hopkins Day!

I would still consider shipping the vehicle, but was hoping I could save a little money driving and get to see Mexico at the same time. I have never been there. I thought it would be wise to know what kind of goods are available there, particularly the chetumal area, being that its only a few hours drive from Hopkins.

#253448 - 12 July 18 9:41 am - America/Chicago Re: Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX [Re: BZ3940]
JohnP Online   content

Check with Hyde shipping out of Miami or Houston. You might not be saving money. I always spend around $1000 just going thru Mexico one direction.

#253450 - 12 July 18 10:21 am - America/Chicago Re: Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX [Re: BZ3940]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
We looked into that a while ago and worked out. after taking into consideration gas costs, temporary foriegn insurance, food and accomodation for at least 2 nights and 2 people. Plus the extra wear and tear on the vehicle and the wear and tear on drivers on such a long trek. The shipping charges are really very reasonable. Having done all the Logic maths My sons are still keen on the idea of the adventure of the drive, we will see.

#253451 - 12 July 18 10:52 am - America/Chicago Re: Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX [Re: BZ3940]
BZ3940 Offline

Yes Hyde shipping can get it there for $1250, definitely a reasonable option to keep in mind. I would also have to get myself and my family there which will cost $600-$800. So around $2000 all together. It would be quicker and much easier, but less of an experience.

I am also keen on the idea of the adventure of the drive smile and even if I only save a couple hundred bucks or nothing at all, I will have the experience as well. I really enjoy traveling but don't have much of a budget for it. It seems like a good opportunity to see Mexico and get my car to Belize for the same price as shipping it and flying down. I am not sure when I will have another opportunity to go to Mexico. I am not really looking for the easy way, but I don't want to be pulling my hair out either. If this trip is going to be very difficult or dangerous, its obviously not worth the 'adventure.'
Thanks again for your help!

#253452 - 12 July 18 6:15 pm - America/Chicago Re: Importing Vehicle to BZ, Driving thru MX [Re: BZ3940]
gelint Offline

Julie driving wasn't the best experience.The only way to get two older dogs down there.One 80 mile detour meant late arrival at the hotel.Dog friendly motels are hard to find.Reserving ahead for her meant overseas reservations.Without pets would be easier.Over 800 dollars for hotel and gas.Not including insurance and other permits.She would not do it again.Also John P will not be getting a Mexico gift bag this year !!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
New procedures with Central Bank
by gelint