Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253326 - 02 May 18 1:22 pm - America/Chicago Flores to Belize City Overland- San Pedro Water Taxi
IcemanTravel Offline

Question Topic 1
Basically I'd like to rent a car in Flores and drive it to BC one-way. Questions; Can you do this? Obviously it's two different countries so maybe it's super expensive . Or is border crossing make traveling with a rent-a -car an issue on this idea. Question2 -if indeed this is an issue would it be/is it possible to rent a car from just crossing into Belize. My thought process is I'd like to hit 2-3 ruins in route (to BC) but would like to do it in a timely manner.

Questions Topic 2 - Are there private water taxi's you can hire out from San Pedro. Basically I need to leave San Pedro before any of the 3 general water taxi company's start there routes in the AM. (headed to Chetumal). Thanks in advance

#253328 - 02 May 18 3:38 pm - America/Chicago Re: Flores to Belize City Overland- San Pedro Water Taxi [Re: IcemanTravel]
hopefulist Online   content

Loc: The Dalles, OR USA
I can't address charter water taxis but I'm quite sure there aren't any agencies in Guatemala that will let you drop off in Belize City. You could contact Belize agencies to see if they would meet you at the border with a rental or at least in San Ignacio town.

#253329 - 02 May 18 6:14 pm - America/Chicago Re: Flores to Belize City Overland- San Pedro Water Taxi [Re: IcemanTravel]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
The only car hire firm I know of that allows their vehicles to cross the border INTO Guatamala is Crystal. But they are in Belize and unless they could fix you up with a person wanting to take a car into Guatamala only and you could rent it to get it back. Seems a bit of a stretch. I do not know of any car rentals allowing vehicles from Guatamala into Belize. There are some car rental firms in San Ignatio and Maybe Crystal has on office there as well, there are regular busses from Flores to San Ignatio.
I do not know about private water taxis from San Pedro, but there may be something as some workers commute from San pedro into Belize City and they must get in early morning somehow.

#253330 - 03 May 18 7:01 am - America/Chicago Re: Flores to Belize City Overland- San Pedro Water Taxi [Re: IcemanTravel]
MisterB Offline

Loc: Belize
Question Topic 1
Why not just get a taxi to the border? Maybe US$50 or $60.

Walk through Immigration, and get a Belizean taxi in Belize. If you really want a car, have the taxi drive you to one of the car rental companies in San Ignacio.

Or make arrangements with one of the transfer services -- they will make stops anywhere you want.

Questions Topic 2
I don't know of any private water taxis, but you could ask the 2 public water taxi services if they could do a private run, or just ask around to see if you can find anyone with a boat who would do it. Of course, you would have to see Immigration & Customs before leaving Belize.

#253332 - 04 May 18 12:21 pm - America/Chicago Re: Flores to Belize City Overland- San Pedro Water Taxi [Re: hopefulist]
IcemanTravel Offline

Thanks for the info

#253338 - 11 May 18 8:16 am - America/Chicago Re: Flores to Belize City Overland- San Pedro Water Taxi [Re: IcemanTravel]
NevadaJoe Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba
I know I rented a car in Mexico (Cancun) and brought it to Belize. I also drove back.

Not sure about your particular situation but mine was this:

I needed letter from the rental agency to get the vehicle into belzie.

When I crossed in, they stamped my passport and recorded the vehicle info in the stamp in my passport. I was told that if I leave the country without the vehicle, the immigration people at exit will flag this and charge me the duty on the vehicle.

I drove back to Cancun so this was not an issue and I had no problems either way. This was back in 2013 and things may have changed.

I'd suggest making sure you have things in order.

Edited by NevadaJoe (11 May 18 8:17 am - America/Chicago)

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
River front lots near Belmopan
by Habeneros
04:49 PM