Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253305 - 18 April 18 12:38 am - America/Chicago Hi
Ritusharma Offline

Hello friends I am new member on this forum ,I am planning to go for holidays with my loved ones and they have decided to go to Belize but we dont know more about this trip. So could anybody give me some suggestion so that we could make our holidays special on there?

#253306 - 18 April 18 7:05 am - America/Chicago Re: Hi [Re: Ritusharma]
MisterB Offline

Loc: Belize
You didn't say how long you'll be in Belize, but I'd suggest a split between the mainland and a beach location. With more time, you can consider a trip to Tikal in Guatemala.

It might be a good idea to go inland first, and put the more relaxing beach part at the end of the trip. I wouldn't suggest spending any time in Belize City unless you have a very early flight out, or there's something you really want to see.

For many mainland activities, stay at the town of San Ignacio or in one of the lodges in the rain-forest. Whichever you choose, there are a LOT of accommodation options for any budget. In town, you have restaurants, ATMs, grocery stores, tour companies, bars, etc. I've always found San Ignacio to be friendly and safe. You can get there by bus from Belize City, or by transfer service directly from the airport.

The activities I'd put at the top of the list: Xunantunich, ATM (or other) cave, then you can choose from Cahal Pech, cave-tubing, hiking, waterfalls, Caracol, zip-lining. If you like zoos, visit the Belize Zoo on the way to or from San Ignacio. San Ignacio is a also a good base for a day or overnight trip to Tikal.

For the beach part, the main locations are Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, Placencia and Hopkins.

The two cayes are quite different. AC is more developed and gets more tourists & retirees, while CC is smaller, quieter and more laid-back. Both have good access to the barrier reef. AC has nicer beaches and more food options. CC is more popular with backpackers. I like both places -- I don't know which one you would prefer, but if you have time, see both.

If you have more than 7 days, you have time to head south. Placencia has probably one of the best beaches in Belize. Hopkins is a small, quiet village -- some people love it, others hate it. The reef is farther from these two locations than from the cayes. There are also some good activities down south: Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary, Bocawina, zip-lines, drumming centres, Garifuna Museum, Maya sites.

And if you have a lot of time, consider a visit to Lamanai near Orange Walk town.

If your departure flight from Belize is not really early in the morning, you should be able to spend your final night on a caye, and be able to get to the airport in time for your flight.

It would be a good idea to get a guidebook. I usually borrow them from a library.

#253307 - 18 April 18 7:18 am - America/Chicago Re: Hi [Re: Ritusharma]
MisterB Offline

Loc: Belize
Here are some useful links for accommodation and transportation...

https://www.travelbelize.org/?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

https://belizebus.wordpress.com/

#253310 - 18 April 18 9:18 am - America/Chicago Re: Hi [Re: Ritusharma]
hopefulist Offline

Loc: The Dalles, OR USA
Great advice, above.

If you don't have one already, in my opinion you should get your hands on a guidebook and devour it, even an older 1 from your local library would work. They have good historical and cultural background sections and suggested itineraries in addition to travel, food, and lodging specifics. When you have a better idea of what you're wanting, you can get more updated info from the internet and come back with more specific
questions so we can help you better.

In the mean time, there's a link below to my photos with travelogue and blog links on the main page of each collections - all my recommendations are embedded there.

Happy planning!

Edited by hopefulist (18 April 18 9:54 am - America/Chicago)

#253311 - 18 April 18 9:32 am - America/Chicago Re: Hi [Re: Ritusharma]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
As usual, Mr.B's information is excellent. I'd like to add a possible activity if you are going now through mid-June. This is the time of year that the whale sharks congregate at Gladden Spit. It is possible to snorkel and scuba dive with them. Don't worry, whale sharks are filter feeders not predators, so it's perfectly safe. They are magnificent, the largest fish in the ocean. The opportunity to get up close and personal with one is breathtaking. I imagine there are trips out to Gladden Spit from Hopkins. I know there are a number of good dive trip operators in Placencia. When I did the trip, I went from Placencia. Mary Toy from Destinations Belize could hook you up with the best.
Destinations Belize
One other useful site for planning a Belize trip is this:
Belize Explorer
Hope this is helpful.
Greg

#253312 - 18 April 18 5:17 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hi [Re: GZboat]
DrMexico Offline

Loc: Merida Me

Be sure to visit the Belize Institute of Entomology Museum in Hopkins. Hopkins and environs has more sandfleas/sq meter than anywhere in the western hemisphere. Also there are exhibits of the more than 900,000 species of insectivora in Belize of which 20% feast on expats and tourists. The botfly extraction video in particular is not to be missed
wink

#253313 - 19 April 18 9:31 am - America/Chicago Re: Hi [Re: Ritusharma]
Osprey Offline

Loc: Placencia, Cape Cod, MA
My friend Ron was infected by a Botfly in Mexico many years ago traveling in Chiapas, Veracruz and Oaxaca. He said it was very creepy having the little wiggly thing in his arm. He extracted in with an exacto knife point.

However in 30 years visiting Belize both on the mainland and the cayes, I have never had the opportunity to extract a Botfly from my arm!

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
shipping to Belize
by EllaF
01:36 PM
New to Belize Forum
by EllaF
01:27 PM
Little League Baseball Belize
by GZboat
10:19 AM
Company formation
by Habeneros
16 October 18 3:33 pm - America/Chicago
Liquor, beer and wine prices ?
by Breezy
12 October 18 12:24 pm - America/Chicago
Belize vs Mexico
by Jadee
08 October 18 4:27 am - America/Chicago
Finding "medium-term" accommodations in Corozal?
by Dave Bunk
08 October 18 3:58 am - America/Chicago
Google Earth updates
by D InTheShade
05 October 18 7:52 am - America/Chicago
looking for accommodation in Corozal , BZ for the month of January
by poudreman
04 October 18 9:55 am - America/Chicago
New procedures with Central Bank
by gelint
23 September 18 4:58 pm - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE