Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#250920 - 28 May 16 8:55 am - America/Chicago No Roads!!!
Jarhead0369 Offline

Loc: Arkansas, USA
Hello All, it's been a while since I've been on the site, but my wife and I are getting closer to our goal of moving to Belize, and I was hoping for some info and/or advice.

We have 2 acres near Sarteneja in Corozal District. We have a local there who has been a big help with the land purchase, and clearing the property, but I was hoping to see what y'all can tell me.

There are no roads to our property so all materials will have to be brought in by boat/barge. How difficult is this? If I purchase a conex box and have it shipped with our belongings from the U.S., can it be unloaded on the property? How deep does the water need to be around the property? Should I have a dock built before I plan any building or shipping to the property? If I wanted to have a roadway cleared to the property from town, how difficult and expensive would that be?

Can anyone recommend what type of boat would be best for personal use around this area? What if I wanted to go all the way to Ambergreis and fish around the reef?

Any other recommendations, comments, thoughts, or advice is greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi,

Charles R. "Chay" Weaver Jr.

#250921 - 28 May 16 12:29 pm - America/Chicago Re: No Roads!!! [Re: Jarhead0369]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
Don't know if costs all the same in all areas we were quoted $40k per mile for road building. That was by a menonite company in Cayo district.

#250923 - 29 May 16 8:40 am - America/Chicago Re: No Roads!!! [Re: britinbelize]
Jarhead0369 Offline

Loc: Arkansas, USA
Thanks. wink

#250930 - 31 May 16 6:23 am - America/Chicago Re: No Roads!!! [Re: Jarhead0369]
D InTheShade Online   content

Loc: Calgary, Mile 5 Southern Hwy
If it was really urgent to get mobile say hurricane or medical emergency would you rather take a boat or a vehicle?

#250940 - 03 June 16 8:01 am - America/Chicago Re: No Roads!!! [Re: Jarhead0369]
Belize and More Offline

Loc: Michigan City, IN/Sarteneja, B...
we had to build a road to our parcel...with drive way....was a total of 1/2 mile....
Julian Potts was who we hired.... after researching a few companies his bid was the best and he guaranteed his work....our road has been quoted as the best people have seen in Belize...at least in the Sarteneja area smile

the cost was $21000.00 US

google earth has been updated and now shows the road (east of the Village) and waiting on the GOB to finalize the name in the registry, after we had the village council approve it.... SeaSide Rd...

#250941 - 03 June 16 10:32 am - America/Chicago Re: No Roads!!! [Re: Jarhead0369]
Lieutenant Offline

Loc: Belize
i am looking for part time security employment.. can provide security and close protection services. hmu if u know anyone interested

#253090 - 23 January 18 1:39 pm - America/Chicago Re: No Roads!!! [Re: Jarhead0369]
WinterPegger Offline

Loc: Winnipeg,MB
Well I'm going to revive this thread...

"There are no roads to our property so all materials will have to be brought in by boat/barge. How difficult is this? If I purchase a conex box and have it shipped with our belongings from the U.S., can it be unloaded on the property? How deep does the water need to be around the property? Should I have a dock built before I plan any building or shipping to the property? If I wanted to have a roadway cleared to the property from town, how difficult and expensive would that be?"

I have a plethora of questions, but I think this is a good start. The thread went to "build a road!" which isn't feasible.

Could someone provide some insight on barges and costs? Is it weight related? Distance? How are heavy objects unloaded?

While I understand why there are few companies advertising their services online, it make it difficult to learn enough to even know what questions to ask.

Another thread went equally no where

http://www.belizeforum.com/belize/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=150691

The area in question would be Stann Creek.

Edited by WinterPegger (23 January 18 1:40 pm - America/Chicago)

We won't respond to trolls

#253169 - 10 February 18 2:23 pm - America/Chicago Re: No Roads!!! [Re: Jarhead0369]
NevadaJoe Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba
In Stann Creek there are a few barge operators. I would suggest you start with the folks at Thunderbird Marina just north of the Ramirez yard, north of the airport in Placencia.

I've seen a few barges in there but do not know operators.

BTW - I'm also from Winnipeg.

#253186 - 17 February 18 3:35 pm - America/Chicago Re: No Roads!!! [Re: Jarhead0369]
NevadaJoe Offline

Don't forget to let us know how you did.

#253293 - 13 April 18 2:42 pm - America/Chicago Re: No Roads!!! [Re: NevadaJoe]
NevadaJoe Offline

Apparently Albert Loewen has the biggest barge on the peninsula.

Track him down at AL construction.

http://www.alconstructionbelize.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts