Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#253106 - 29 January 18 4:37 pm - America/Chicago Greetings from new member
Wilsong Offline

Hello everyone.

Myself, retired last year; and my wife- is going to retire soon; will be spending 6 to 8 months in Belize this year to see if BZ is good enough to settle. Also looking at other places including Guyana. But we will start with BZ first.

We are Americans, into 60s; grandparents; worked in Oil and Gas industry in the caribbean for many years and now hanging up our shoes and trying to relax in lesser polluted places. Have been reading forums, but want to know a few (many....) things. Please bear with us grin

We are more interested in
1. know and feel about a) buying a land, building a home, raising a garden bla bla bla.... No questions here, good amount of info is there in the forum - thanks to many for their excellent efforts. Will explore on this during our stay

2. bird watching, visiting Mayan places and forest areas etc - this is where I need some help. Both of us are kind of lost our bicycling skills; but now learning and trying. This is where I have a number of questions and doubts.

a) Threads related to motorbikes and bicycles are kind of old. I got to know about Benny's; Universal hardware etc (please correct me if I am wrong). From this forum I understand that generally Chinese bikes (Meilun) may not be very reliable. now we are in 2018, is it still the same? or these Meilun bikes are now improved & fine?

b) Our plan is to buy two bicylces from Courts. A few are available on their website. Hope they will have them in store and ready to go? or do we have to wait? We want to use bicycles for going in and around Belmopan. Get mopeds or motorbikes for sight-seeing. not sure if this works??

c) are there any motorbikes under 50cc? May the term is 'Moped' instead of motorcycle? I prefer to buy new from a local showroom. Idea is to avoid licenses etc. Am I correct? We both have US driving licenses though.

d) One good thing about Universal hardware is that the costs are shown on website. How much will be the on-road price? (like taxes, registration etc) Who will do the registration? If it is too much hasle, we will be fine with bicycles grin

e) costs for Japanese Honda motorcycles are not available on Benny's website. Does Benny offer after sales services and parts? We want to stay in Belmopan, close to Spanish-lookout; though we might look at AC, Corozal.

f) Do we need to get BZ driver's permits? or can we use our US (AZ)permits?

Thanks for your attention - sorry if my (first) post is too long. Don't mean to harass grin will talk on few beers in person grin

#253107 - 29 January 18 6:21 pm - America/Chicago Re: Greetings from new member [Re: Wilsong]
britinbelize Offline

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
hi If you are looking into the Belmopan area its a great central location ( I am biased thats where my property is) you will get motor bikes in Belmopan or Belize city from a couple of places but a much better selection at Spanish lookout. Surprisingly there is very little difference in prices for big purchase items so if you see a price on line it is going to be very close to that price anywhere else they sell the same item. Your US licenses are fine in Belize. If you decide to stay you can go to the local DMV and a simple test will get you a Belize license, with a fee to pay a fee of course. You do not need to be a legal resident for this, but you need to show you are not just there for a couple of weeks a year. Interesting that in Belize ALL types of licenses are renewable annually initialy but then for 3 years and the date is always your own birthday. So make the change just after a birthday. Gas is running around $10 bze a gallon at the moment, but all gas stations within the same region charge the same price and mostly they pump the gas for you. Courts do not keep Cycles in stock year round, but are usually in stock in Spanish lookout and in the other stores. Belmopan actually has a nice Bike shop on the ring road that sells all kinds of spares and the guys there can fix most problems. The serious Cycle clubs use it all the time. hope this helps a little.

#253108 - 30 January 18 10:22 am - America/Chicago Re: Greetings from new member [Re: Wilsong]
Wilsong Offline

Thanks BritinBelize, for the info. We prefer to start with bicycles and try to get fit. Years of driving 4-wheelers has spoiled us.

One quick quesiton - do people go sight-seeing on bicycles? I mean long distances? 50km in one day?

#253109 - 30 January 18 1:11 pm - America/Chicago Re: Greetings from new member [Re: Wilsong]
Dave Bunk Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Belize
Very small of that type of sightseeing. Mostly around town and shopping. There is a large group of Bicycle racing in Belize. I bought and used for a couple of years a chinese 125 cc bike. I am a mechanic and loved it. I bought it used and then sold it to a friend and it is still going. Maintenance is the big key to me that is lacking here, they tend to ride them to death no oil changes, no greasing and lube etc

Edited by Dave Bunk (30 January 18 1:14 pm - America/Chicago)

#253110 - 30 January 18 1:17 pm - America/Chicago Re: Greetings from new member [Re: Wilsong]
britinbelize Offline

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
Not sure if tourists do that much, but I know locals who cycle that much in a day. Usually to get to and from work. Most places for sight seeing are well off the main metalled roads and not usually the best for cycling. If you cycle to the ferry for Xunantunich in Socutz out west there is an Uphill one mile un paved road over the river to get to the actual ruins. I have seen intrepid cyclists riding that road. The Zoo (a must see) is on the main highway about mile 30 ish on what is still referred to by locals the western Highway. Depending on where you set off. Its about 20 miles east on the highway from Belmopan, not too hilly,so doable on Bikes with strong legs. Sorry most of my greater experience are to the west and South of Belize so not much knowledge of the north of the country outside of driving the highway.

#253112 - 31 January 18 8:37 am - America/Chicago Re: Greetings from new member [Re: Wilsong]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Having driven the Northern Highway more than a little bit, I could not, in good conscience, recommend that anyone try bicycling along it. Way too dangerous in my book. And I sincerely doubt any of the other major highways in Belize are any safer. I use both a bike and a 2-wheel-drive ATV around the village and both are fine. I wouldn't take the ATV on the highway for a long run. Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it? Is anyone in Belize selling electric bicycles? I used one around my village during my last trip and it was great!
Greg

#253114 - 31 January 18 6:52 pm - America/Chicago Re: Greetings from new member [Re: Wilsong]
Wilsong Offline

Thanks a lot BritinBelize, Dave and GZboat! I think we have to get a proper 4-wheeler on rent for a month; then decide what to do. As much as we want to do bicycling; I can barely manage a bicycle; my wife can't manage yet. Legss aint that strong either. At this age we want to be relax and enjoy; sight seeing etc. Thanks for making the points very simple and stright

#253118 - 01 February 18 9:45 am - America/Chicago Re: Greetings from new member [Re: Wilsong]
ElDorado Offline

Loc: Belize
I have not seen any motorbikes under 100cc or so. The Chinese knockoffs of the Honda Cub are popular and seem to last well. Cost about 3000 BZD new.

When you buy one you will have to go to a Ministry of Transport office to register the vehicle (which gets you a plate, never needs changing, and an official title document) for about 100 BZD I think, then get insurance (maybe 150 BZD), then go back to the Ministry for a vehicle licence (80 BZD) which must be renewed yearly.

You will need a full driving licence for these. If your US licence covers motorcycles that will be fine for a while but eventually you should get a local one. So far as I know a car licence does not cover any size of motorcycle.

The Ministry in its wisdom will give (sell for 75 BZD per year) you a car driving licence if you have a foreign one but not a motorcycle licence, you must pass the test first. Fortunately this consists entirely of riding around slowly in a figure-of-eight two or three times without putting your foot down.

The law requires the title to be carried with the vehicle. There are often checkpoints where the police or Ministry officials check for correct documents (and villains, aliens etc.). If you do not have one of the 4 documents the police may suggest accompanying you back to your house to get it. DO NOT AGREE. Be vague about where you live, they should not press you on this.

Wearing a helmet is compulsory, though you will see many scofflaws out of town.

Hondas will be much more expensive than Chinese. Parts can be had at Wolfe's Garage in Spanish Lookout, but like everywhere the prices are eye-watering and many will have to be ordered and imported specially.

While you are still in the US get a PayPal account and link it to your credit card so you can buy stuff online.

For bicycles also check out Hopsing and Quan's Trading Center, both on Orange Street in Belize City.

#253120 - 03 February 18 6:10 am - America/Chicago Re: Greetings from new member [Re: Wilsong]
jstewartpa Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania and Hopkins
Wilsong, you mention renting a 4 wheeler. Do you mean a quad or ATV? I would not recommend those to drive the highways on for any extended distance as well. They can't travel at the same speed as cars and can be over taken very quickly. That can be very dangerous on our narrow and curved roads. Plus there are probably not many places that rent them. My suggestion is to rent a car.

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Got Turkey in Belize?
by KatieValk
Today at 03:56 AM
Looking for relatives in Punta gorda
by Dave Bunk
Yesterday at 05:10 AM
No Roads!!!
by NevadaJoe
17 February 18 3:35 pm - America/Chicago
Boat fuel tanks for sale
by Q in Belize
16 February 18 11:55 am - America/Chicago
Drama DVD collection for sale.
by Q in Belize
16 February 18 11:39 am - America/Chicago
4 Antique reproduction Windsor armchairs for sale.
by Q in Belize
16 February 18 11:28 am - America/Chicago
Stoneware bottle collection for sale
by Q in Belize
16 February 18 10:59 am - America/Chicago
Time clock for sale
by Q in Belize
16 February 18 10:53 am - America/Chicago
Any posting about pirating content will be an instant ban
by Tony
14 February 18 7:20 pm - America/Chicago
Long term Hopkins Rental Beachfront