Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#252983 - 28 December 17 10:13 pm - America/Chicago Our SanIgnacio/Sanpedro trip
Misslaura91 Offline

Loc: Arizona
We just got back from Belize a couple weeks ago so I thought I would share our personal experience.... We= Husband, Daughter (8), and me.

We started out taking a shuttle by williamshuttlebelize. They are the best and waiting for us with a sign at the airport. The ride was easy and took a couple hours to our hotel in San Ignacio. The driver was awesome.

We stayed at Midas Hotel for four days. Midas hotel was nice, great pool and bar area. The rooms were clean. During our stay they had a few plumbing problems and we did have to switch rooms to a not so nice one, but overall we enjoyed our stay here and would go back.

In San Ignacio the first day we walked to Cahal Pech ruins (dont forget your bug spray like I did this day) and took a cab ride back it was quite the walk. We also went to town did some hot sauce testing, chocolate making, and shopping. Second day we went cave tubing using pactourz. The cave tubing is a must do, but hopefully you have a better guide than us. He was older and grumpy, just seemed not happy to be taking us around. They packed us a lunch and it was gross. Third day we went to the San Ignacio hotel and visited the iguana conservation. That was a lot of fun we got to feed and hold a lot of the iguanas. Mostly hanging out the next day in town we met a lot of locals and tried a little of all the restaurants very good food. Our daughter got sick with a high fever and we ended up spending the day at the local clinic. Dr was very nice and it was just a UTI so nothing antibiotics cant fix. Then we were off to San Pedro the next day. We took williams shuttle back to belize city and the water taxi to san pedro.

We spent the next 6 days in San Pedro. We stayed at Banyan Bay. This was amazing our hotel had a full kitchen, living room, and two bedrooms for 160/night. Great for the week. And the only hotel that has a beach with very slight amount of seaweed, if at all. During our days we sea kayaked, went parasailing, went to secret beach, snorkel trip, day trip to caye caulker, and a private sailing tour.

The only basic mode of transportation is golfcart which was 250/week at our hotel but I know there was better prices just too lazy to look.

Going to secret beach took forever and when we got there it was not worth it at all just rocky beach, oh and a guy going around asking if anyone wanted to buy weed or edibles.. thats a no for me but if its your thing.
Snorkel trip we booked a month prior with Islanddreamtours. Not recommended- The trip was expensive they only brought one kid snorkel mask and there was two kids on the boat, the staff wasnt very personable but they did push the alcohol so everyone had fun.. it took us forever to get out in the water and we didnt see much at Hol Chen marine reserve. Next stop was shark ray alley which was better we saw nurse sharks and stingrays.
On our day visit to Caye Caulker we thought we should have stayed there for sure. San Pedro is full of golf cart fumes and construction.
Overall great trip! Sorry so long I tried to shorten.

#252989 - 29 December 17 8:34 pm - America/Chicago Re: Our SanIgnacio/Sanpedro trip [Re: Misslaura91]
hopefulist Offline

Loc: The Dalles, OR USA
Sorry for the double post - apparently I can't use an 'enye' for the n in Cabanas. I tried 5 times and my post finally showed up when I removed it.

Edited by hopefulist (29 December 17 8:42 pm - America/Chicago)

#252990 - 29 December 17 8:40 pm - America/Chicago Re: Our SanIgnacio/Sanpedro trip [Re: Misslaura91]
hopefulist Offline

Loc: The Dalles, OR USA
Thanks for taking the time to post. We're Caye Caulker fans, too - San Pedro is busy enough to be off-putting for us; even if we were to stay north or south of town it's still the place for most of the shopping and restaurants, simply doesn't suit us.

We are splitting our next trip between Tranquility Bay (up past 'Secret Beach' but with a really beautiful beach and walk in snorkeling) and our favorite spot on Caye Caulker, Colinda Cabanas.

Real bummer about the snorkeling trip - we have had fantastic success snorkeling at Hol Chan. We always travel with our own masks and snorkels; in addition to the potential poor fit issues it's sort of a gross/germs thing for us, too.

I hope you get a chance to return and see even more of Belize - we're leaving in 2 weeks for a 7th visit. Happy trails!

Edited by hopefulist (29 December 17 8:40 pm - America/Chicago)

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Farm visit
by bdietz
1 second ago