Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#252865 - 09 November 17 11:13 am - America/Chicago Re: paying property tax. Help Please! [Re: scottemmert]
Osprey Offline

Loc: Placencia, Cape Cod, MA
I used Debbie for several years; she is reliable and honest. However, not being at the lands dpt. in person turned into a liability. OK, this is a little screwy but it turned out (for me at least) that even though I had title to the land, the tax bill remained in the former owner's name because there was always a credit to the account. In other words Debbie dutifully paid the tax bill for the land and that created a credit to the account.

I was told that unless the account balance goes to zero, they can not transfer the account to me. That took an entire day to rectify because there is only one woman in the Belmopan lands dpt. authorized to change the account name and she was always extremely busy (once I found her). She was very sweet and accommodating once we found her, but she had to credit us for the amount on the balance of the account so that it was zero; then change the owner of the account to me and then credit the account again for the balance that had been credited back to me. If all that sounds confusing and ridiculous, I agree. So for a new land owner, I would recommend that you go to the lands dpt., ensure that your name is on the tax bill, and then pay several years in advance.

#252866 - 09 November 17 8:45 pm - America/Chicago Re: paying property tax. Help Please! [Re: scottemmert]
GaryTobago Offline

Thanks to you all, especially GZ. I will show up in person at the Corozal office and pay back taxes and pay forward for as long as they will allow. Gary

#252931 - 06 December 17 10:38 pm - America/Chicago Re: paying property tax. Help Please! [Re: scottemmert]
patje73 Offline

I work with Debbie and feel very lucky that I have someone like her on my side. She helps me with everything in Belize.

#252934 - 08 December 17 8:05 am - America/Chicago Re: paying property tax. Help Please! [Re: scottemmert]
GZboat Online   content

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Osprey's story reminded me of my own 1st experience with Lands, that I had almost forgotten. I bought my place outright, had Barrow and Williams handle the transfer, and had my deed firmly in hand when I went to pay my property taxes at the Corozal office for the 1st time. This was before the modernization of the records. The local office had no idea the transfer had taken place, though it had happened 6 months before. Thankfully, the very competent, very patient clerk asked me one question, "Do you have your deed?" When I said yes , she smiled and got to work. About 45 minutes later everything was up to date, I had paid, and walked out with my receipt. It was an amusing experience. The clerk worked on her computer for 20 minutes or so and I thought we were done. Said something to that effect, which got another smile from her. Then she got up from her desk, went to the back, and returned with two huge, dusty ledgers. Spent the next 25 minutes copying everything she'd done on the computer into the ledgers, longhand. Classic Belize, especially the very professional clerk simply, patiently, making a older cumbersome system work. I guess the moral of this story, and Osprey's, is that it is best to go to the Land's Office in person every once in awhile to make sure all your records are correct, current, and properly squared away.
Greg

Edited by GZboat (08 December 17 8:07 am - America/Chicago)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Belmopan -- Living day to day
by jstewartpa