Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#252736 - 09 September 17 1:12 pm - America/Chicago Hello All! House mate in Sarteneja?
DanDman Offline

Loc: HMB, CA. 94019
Hi every one, I am considering moving to Sarteneja, and yes I've read,(but haven't seen the road in person!), is not good in the rainy season. I am wondering if any one else out there is considering moving to Sarteneja, and would like to share a rental home there?
I hope to keep rent down to 300 or so, and am thinking sharing a concrete (hurricane safe)home that owners are asking 600 to 700 a month for might be the way to go.

once i have boots on the ground, I will know if this is just a pipe dream or a very possible reality.

If there are any expats in Sarteneja that would like to share their thought on this and what it is like to live as an expat there, i would love to here how everyday life is there, and what struggles you have and how you are over coming them.

Thank You,
Dan

#252739 - 10 September 17 6:43 am - America/Chicago Re: Hello All! House mate in Sarteneja? [Re: DanDman]
Reilly Offline

Loc: Carolinas, USA, Cayo
Hello Dan. Welcome to the forum.

A couple suggestions:

-- At upper left, type "Sarteneja" into the search box for some information. Perhaps you have exhausted that information already.

-- Click on your name and enter Profile information. I'm sure potential house mates want to know you better.

#252740 - 10 September 17 6:51 am - America/Chicago Re: Hello All! House mate in Sarteneja? [Re: DanDman]
Reilly Offline

Hello Dan. Welcome to the forum.

A couple suggestions:

-- At upper left, type "Sarteneja" into the search box for some information. Perhaps you have exhausted that information already.

-- Click on your name and enter Profile information. I'm sure potential house mates want to know you better.

-- There is a really interesting travelogue which mentions Sarteneja. Intentionally mistype "Sareneja" into the search box. (The end of the article is where Sarteneja is written about.)

#252754 - 11 September 17 12:56 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hello All! House mate in Sarteneja? [Re: Reilly]
DanDman Offline

OK THANK YOU!

#252755 - 11 September 17 2:23 pm - America/Chicago Re: Hello All! House mate in Sarteneja? [Re: DanDman]
DanDman Offline

I up graded my profile, but couldn't figure ot how to upload a "avatar" picture. i read on the bottom of the page "click on radio to change avatar" , looked put "did not compute", probably very simple , but not very clear of how to do it.
any advice?

#252758 - 12 September 17 6:51 am - America/Chicago Re: Creation of Avatar [Re: DanDman]
Reilly Offline

For a good thread search "Avatar", then look for the posting, "little Thingeys" at September 26, 2009.

Edited by Reilly (12 September 17 7:04 am - America/Chicago)

#252775 - 20 September 17 3:37 am - America/Chicago Re: Hello All! House mate in Sarteneja? [Re: DanDman]
BelizeNavida Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida
Welcome to the forum, Dan! Enjoy your stay! smile

#252776 - 20 September 17 9:41 am - America/Chicago Re: Hello All! House mate in Sarteneja? [Re: DanDman]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Dan, I waited awhile to respond, hoping some expats from Sarteneja might chime in. That hasn't happened, so I'll talk. I have a small place in Copper Bank. If you know the area at all, you'll know it's one of the closest villages to Sarteneja. In fact, the easiest way to get to Sarteneja is thru Copper Bank and the Laguna Seca ferry. You are right; in the rainy season the road between the ferry and Sarteneja can get very bad. But then again, so can the road to the Pueblo Nuevo ferry, especially on the Corozal side. When you say $600-700/month, are you talking US dollars or Belize dollars? $600/700US would strike me as "gringo pricing". Sarteneja is a lovely place, probably the most scenic and picturesque village in the Corozal District, but it still quite remote. It is really on the edge of things, so it's not a destination (not yet anyway). There are, of course, real estate wheeler-dealers who are trying to make it one. Even with the relatively new Laguna Seca ferry, access remains a challenge. I would keep that in mind when evaluating real estate pricing, whether it be purchase or rental. Just my two cents.
Greg
P.S. An all-concrete house may not be all that hurricane-safe. Yes, it should be wind resistant (especially with a concrete roof) but storm surge is often the real danger of a hurricane and a ground level concrete house won't protect you from that. Sarteneja is in a very low-lying area that floods easily even during normal rains. IMO some sort of stilt house would be a much better bet. It's the bet I made. I have a Mennonite tin house on stilts and it came thru Hurricane Dean just fine. The down side of concrete houses in the tropics is that they are very hard to keep comfortable without air conditioning. Concrete absorbs heat slowly, but retains it for a long time. The heat they absorb during the day they radiate all night long.

Edited by GZboat (20 September 17 9:49 am - America/Chicago)

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Canyon Acquisition et al ---
by MoreSun
11:08 AM