Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#251446 - 23 September 16 11:05 am - America/Chicago No reservations
noisyboyes Offline

Loc: Squamish, BC, Canada
Wondering how feasible it would be to travel the mainland without pre booking accommodation? Considering a short 2 week trip, renting a vehicle and then playing it by ear as to where and for how long at each spot. Probably going in February, prime time, like nice accommodations. Other kicker is usually have a large pack with us, Siblings and significants. Would we have big trouble finding a place one afternoon just showing up say in Corozal or Hopkins.

#251449 - 23 September 16 1:02 pm - America/Chicago Re: No reservations [Re: noisyboyes]
hopefulist Offline

Loc: The Dalles, OR USA
I have no experience with Corozal but our favorite place in Hopkins is small and popular and would be highly unlikely to have enough space last minute; best reviewed and best value places might be booked, in other words.

If you don't mind shopping around once you hit town and know ahead that you might not get your 1st choice place and might have to book into separate places, then go for it. It would give you more flexibility of itinerary and some places might offer better walk in rates than prebook rates.

(I nearly always book ahead because I research well and am confident with my choices. We have never been sorry, not once in dozens of trips to Latin America.)

#251450 - 23 September 16 1:46 pm - America/Chicago Re: No reservations [Re: hopefulist]
noisyboyes Offline

Thanks, when I get things a little more concrete, especially numbers in our group, I may look at advance booking at least part of the trip. So what's your favorite place in Hopkins?

#251451 - 23 September 16 10:06 pm - America/Chicago Re: No reservations [Re: noisyboyes]
hopefulist Offline

Loc: The Dalles, OR USA

#251453 - 24 September 16 7:18 am - America/Chicago Re: No reservations [Re: noisyboyes]
MisterB Offline

Loc: Belize
You should have no problems finding accommodation at either location. The only periods in which I'd consider pre-booking are Christmas/NY and Easter.

Corozal has a small but good selection of hotels, guesthouses and B&B type accommodation.

#251460 - 25 September 16 11:54 am - America/Chicago Re: No reservations [Re: noisyboyes]
jstewartpa Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania and Hopkins
If you have a large group you would have a very difficult time finding accommodations in Hopkins in February with short notice. Try vrbo.com and rent an entire house.

#251461 - 25 September 16 12:57 pm - America/Chicago Re: No reservations [Re: jstewartpa]
noisyboyes Offline

Definitely gets more complicated with a larger group. I've been looking at VRBO, AirBNB and other sites. There are some possibilities.

#252589 - 12 August 17 10:48 pm - America/Chicago Re: No reservations [Re: noisyboyes]
noisyboyes Offline

A year later, finally booked flights. Just for a week and just my wife and I. Will be searching now for accommodations. Arriving Dec 1/17. Hoping to hit at least 2 different locations. Any advice welcome... Car rentals? "Livelier places to stay.

#252591 - 13 August 17 11:02 pm - America/Chicago Re: No reservations [Re: noisyboyes]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
What locations are you headed to? Dec. 1-8 you should be okay, but you will be getting close to the two times each year reservations are a necessity, Christmas and Easter. Many diaspora Belizeans go home for the holidays and places fill up fast. Car rentals would depend on where you want to pick up and where you are headed. If you want a rental for the entire trip, Crystal at the airport gets consistently good reviews:
Crystal Car Rental
Greg

Edited by GZboat (13 August 17 11:03 pm - America/Chicago)

#252594 - 14 August 17 8:42 am - America/Chicago Re: No reservations [Re: noisyboyes]
Reilly Online   content

Loc: Carolinas, USA, Cayo
"Wondering how feasible it would be to travel the mainland without pre booking accommodation? Considering a short 2 week trip . . . (From Noisyboyes post of 9/23/2016)

Are you interested in the whole mainland or just Hopkins? Consider making Belmopan area your base. It is centrally located to go east, west and south to the coast.

Check out Banana Bank Lodge near Belmopan as a possibility. http://ww2.bananabank.com/

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Introduction to my future Belize neighbors
by Dave Bunk
4 seconds ago