MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#252475 - 11 July 17 2:52 pm - America/Chicago Belmopan -- Living day to day
Reilly Offline

Loc: Carolinas, USA, Cayo
I may have more questions tomorrow, but a few now. smile

[list]
[*]What all may I put in my blue trash drum? Kitchen waste, dead coconut tree fronds, wood trash, lawn clippings?
[*]What is a reasonable amount to pay for lawn care -- picking up things that don't belong, cutting grass
[*]Is Blue Bin trash collected the same day each week? Do they pick up leaves, limbs and brush? If not, where do I go?

Edited by Reilly (11 July 17 2:55 pm - America/Chicago)

#252478 - 11 July 17 6:21 pm - America/Chicago Re: Belmopan -- Living day to day [Re: Reilly]
britinbelize Online   content

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
Wow I would love to have your dilemma we are in Belmopan also but no trash collection is ever likely to come near our area.
Food waste goes into the compost pit with garden waste, recyclable bottles and cans, live in large plastic sacks until we need the room they take up then they go down to west star to be recycled. A
ll burnable waste then goes onto he Burn pit. We also find things we think are too worn out or old and would throw out in California are taken by the handyman who repairs or reinvents the items for his family or neighbors.

#252479 - 11 July 17 8:31 pm - America/Chicago Re: Belmopan -- Living day to day [Re: Reilly]
Reilly Offline

Loc: Carolinas, USA, Cayo
Handyman?? What does he do? How does he get paid -- hourly or contract?

#252480 - 12 July 17 5:50 am - America/Chicago Re: Belmopan -- Living day to day [Re: Reilly]
Dave Bunk Offline

Loc: Mine Hill NJ
We have 2 people who help us with things around our house. We have 3 acres to keep chopped and lawn mowed as needed. We pay that gentleman 50 Bze per day. That is higher than the normal rate around PG but he is fantastic and we do not want to lose him. My wife has a lady to come help her clean the house occasionally and she gets 35 Bze a day for about 6 hours plus we feed her her meals. I will assume Belmopan wages might be higher but do not know for sure

#252481 - 12 July 17 8:41 am - America/Chicago Re: Belmopan -- Living day to day [Re: Reilly]

Actually the going rate in Belmopan seems lower at about $30 to 35 we pay $40 and were scolded about that twice by other expats. We pay cash in hand each day. dependent on the job in hand and the weather the day can be as short as 4 hours or he has stayed on to finish something up to 10 hours. the daily rate is the same. He comes in one or 2 days a week at weekends as he has another full time job as well. He chops the grass checks the Solar batteries keeps the area round the houses tidy, and does whatever else is needed like he and my son dry walled the first house together. Recently they laid the stone path between the houses and a stone pad to park the vehicles. We are lucky as he is Honest as the day is long, very capable in most things and he takes the duties of the fire pit as his own to ensure no fires in areas they shouldn't be. he has been with us sinc we built the first house in 2014.
If we have left the house empty for a longer time His wife comes in and gets it ready for us, we pay her $30 but it is only for about 4 hours. We also provide food while they are with us.
We pay him a days wages at the major holidays.
To find help in Belmopan I suggest you ask in maybe a couple of hotels or bars if they know of anyone looking for the odd day's work. The Local staff are usually able to recommend a friend or relative, If after a couple of days you are happy with the person then suggest a more regular arrangement.

#252482 - 12 July 17 11:26 am - America/Chicago Re: Belmopan -- Living day to day [Re: Reilly]
Dave Bunk Offline

Agreed pay in Toledo is the same 30 to 35 per day normal rate

#252483 - 12 July 17 12:45 pm - America/Chicago Re: Belmopan -- Living day to day [Re: Reilly]

Dave just sent a PM but something went awry and it sent the first sentence about 3 times before the full post. sorry it looks a mess

#252484 - 12 July 17 1:22 pm - America/Chicago Re: Belmopan -- Living day to day [Re: Reilly]
Dave Bunk Offline

Got is sent a reply Thanks

#252492 - 14 July 17 6:36 pm - America/Chicago Re: Belmopan -- Living day to day [Re: Reilly]
sassyone Offline

Loc: Riverbend,BZ.....WA.
We live in Camalote, which is only three miles away from Belmopan on two acres, have a full-time worker, M-F, 225.00 BZD/week,he gets two weeks vacation/year, paid holidays as per listed Gov't. Holidays, our housekeeper once weekly for 8 hrs. $45.00 BZD., they're also allowed to help them selves to fruits, and fish from our fish pond.They both live just outside our gate, goes home for lunch!. Receives B-day and Holiday gifts annually. We pay into our full time worker Soc.Security as per Labor Laws, and he's allowed 16 sick days per year after three days out with a doctors letter, Soc. Sec pays 60%, we cover the other 35%, the laws are there to protect the workers, same as in the US!.

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Help free Big Red
by hopefulist
03:08 PM