Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#252276 - 14 May 17 9:47 am - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Originally Posted By: Dave Bunk
Not a comment on McAfee guilt or innocence only the fact was told not to leave Belize and took his passport. Did not even slow him down. And in this case as in that one, GOB police do not seem to really want to catch anyone they just want the bad press on Belize to go away fast! Just my .02

Dave, I think you are absolutely spot on in this opinion. Once a high profile crime can be attributed to a "foreigner", GOB law enforcement seems to stop paying attention. Of course, looking at the overall prosecution and conviction rates, it happens in Belizean-on-Belizean crime cases too (happens a lot). We both know the borders with Mexico and Guatemala are incredibly porous. Unofficial crossings are frequent and common knowledge. If this Canadian wants to flee before being charged, he certainly can do it. Being charged with one felony and a suspect in another would seem to be grounds to jail someone as a flight risk, but I don't know Belizean law well enough to know if it is or not.
Greg

#252279 - 14 May 17 6:33 pm - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
Dave Bunk Offline

Loc: Mine Hill NJ
I was speaking of both expat and Belizean crimes. A very good friend of ours in PG, a Belizean taxi, man was slaughtered and nothing. All of it is bad press that no one wants except the families of those butchered.

#252283 - 15 May 17 10:08 am - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Once again you are sadly spot on. GOB law enforcement seems to be a lot more interested in appearances than in sucessfully investigating, solving, and prosecuting violent crimes. The list of "unsolveds" just keeps growing. If anything kills the golden-egg-laying-goose of tourism and retirement residence, it'll be the perception of Belize as a dangerous place where violent criminals get off scot-free.
Greg

#252288 - 15 May 17 2:17 pm - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
Reilly Offline

Loc: Carolinas, USA, Cayo
I'm curious to know how crime in BZ (outside of Belize City) compares with Panama, Costa Rica, and the large expat community in Ecuador. (I certainly don't want to live in South Chicago, East Cleveland or Baltimore!)

#252291 - 15 May 17 8:02 pm - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
britinbelize Offline

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any reliable statistics that just cover crimes committed by and on expats anywhere.
You can not get information on how many non American tourists and expats in the united states are subject of violent crime. Just bald figurs based on number of crimes and population. Numbers of tourists and non citizen expat numbers do not enter the tally. So the low number of Belize citizens is all that counts not the extra hundreds of thousand who pass through each year, same for other countries in the region too.

#252294 - 16 May 17 7:47 am - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
BrigitteBac Offline

Loc: Alberta/Cayo
Not sure about other countries, but the US government has, on its website, a list of American deaths (non natural causes) for each country. For Belize it provides details from 2002 to 2016.

#252295 - 16 May 17 8:50 am - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
patrocle Offline

Loc: Washington Dc
Thanks BrigitteBac I took a quick look at the list from 2010-2016 and it looked like homicide and drowning were the most common causes then maritime & road accidents. Quite a few suicides as well. Interesting information.

#252306 - 17 May 17 2:23 am - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
britinbelize Offline

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
The state department does not give stats for NON US citizen ( ex pats from elsewhere) deaths in America which might be interesting to see. Lots of folks claiming how dangerous Belize is due to crime when driving in Belize is far more likely to be a threat to the well being of expats there.

#252307 - 17 May 17 7:40 am - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
Breezy Offline

Loc: Ladyville
I thought I read that a team of FBI agents had come down to assist with the investigation and it could well be they are keeping a tight lid on the case. I so hope who ever is behind this horrible crime is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law as is being said that doesn't happen often unfortunately.

Edited by Breezy (17 May 17 7:41 am - America/Chicago)

#252310 - 17 May 17 5:49 pm - America/Chicago Re: Bodies of couple found [Re: Dave Bunk]
Dave Bunk Offline

Loc: Mine Hill NJ
Sadly they came down after the fact by which time GOB probably trampled and destroyed the most important clues

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Westjet to Belize from Calgary direct
by D InTheShade