Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#252179 - 17 April 17 2:12 pm - America/Chicago agriculture and trade show 2017
royal_palm Offline

I am looking forward to attending the ag show this month as it will be the first I have attended and we are establishing our property on the hummingbird for self sustaining farming.
The last post on the annual show is from several years back and I was wondering if anyone that has been in the last few years can give me some tips as to what to expect and where the best booths would be for someone interested in gleaming local growing knowledge and ideas.
To date my best resource on this has been the springfield nursery, but Im hoping to get a more rounded understanding from the show.
Thanks

#252180 - 17 April 17 4:44 pm - America/Chicago Re: agriculture and trade show 2017 [Re: royal_palm]
britinbelize Offline

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
Hi the Ag show is very muchlike a county fair. They have pens of top livestock from the local farming community from all 6 regions, there are the food booths and related farming booths it is a big area and the livestock pens are a large part of it. Horses are very important in Belize and there are competitive races on a couple of the days. Their is usually an actual fairground but some years that is located outside of the AG grounds. The booths are not always in the same places so Icant give y directions as to where they will be. If you are more into arable farming Have you seen the QuarterlyAgriculture report that is edited by Beth Roberson it is a good helpful read. If you have not seen it I know there are still a few copies of the February edition on the counter at "Cheers" on the high way probably else where as well. A few good articles in that edition Iwas interested to find including ,Bio Char, Vanilla propagation, Amaranthus as edible grain. Most interesting as I am a Florist and I never realized it was more than a very attractive floral addition, also some interesting weather/rain regional charts. If nothing else the information for all the writers of the articles are in it and there would probably be a few very useful contact details. A friend took a call while I was with Him last week checking/confirming how many pens he would need for livestock he will be showing. It is a BIG thing each year.

#252182 - 18 April 17 5:24 am - America/Chicago Re: agriculture and trade show 2017 [Re: britinbelize]
royal_palm Offline

Thanks for the reply brit. I found the ag report online and now am sleep deprived from spending most of the night reading the most recent and several back issues. What a great source of info.
We are still finishing a few contracts here in Canada and so my trips to Belize are squeezed in when I can make it, but we have had our caretaker on the property for the last 16 months and the developements are moving along nicely. To date we have planted over 170 fruit trees and will be turning one acre to garden as time allows.
My next trip down is on the 22nd of this month for ten days. It was scheduled to match the delivery of our Pletts built cabin and I am so happy it fit nicely with the annual ag show.
We are also planning a large flower garden on the property with both local and imported flora. Perhaps once it is all completed we can offer some flowers as thanks!
Thanks again.

#252184 - 18 April 17 8:23 am - America/Chicago Re: agriculture and trade show 2017 [Re: royal_palm]
BrigitteBac Offline

Loc: Alberta/Cayo
I would sum up the Ag Show just like brit did. We've gone a few times, not for anything specific, but always end up buying something, like plants, condiments etc. We end up seeing friends we typically don't see very often. Always exciting! We've also had some delicious food at the grounds.
I have one tip. The last time, we went early Sunday morning. Way less people, cooler and less dust, and a little less noisy. (We must be getting old :-)
We'll miss it this year - so enjoy it a little for us as well!

#252195 - 19 April 17 2:53 pm - America/Chicago Re: agriculture and trade show 2017 [Re: BrigitteBac]
royal_palm Offline

Thanks for the tip Brigitte. I am definately more of a morning/less crowds kind of person also. Looking forwards to the ag show.

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Introduction to my future Belize neighbors
by Dave Bunk
4 seconds ago