Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#252183 - 18 April 17 8:00 am - America/Chicago Getting electricity to your site. Amber Gris Caye
islandcouple Offline

Hi,

we are a couple thinking of moving to Amber Caye (West side) to open a small 6 hut accomodation. The issue is that the site does not have water and electricity. I have read up here that the easiest solution is solar panels+generator, however this is quite scary to us due to the unreliable output that solar gives on clouded days and sheer size of installation to be able to provide airconditioning reverse osmosis and and hot water. We would MUCH prefer having a direct link to the grid. How much would the interconnection cost (assuming it is possible) per 100metres they have to cross to reach us? How does this work as I imagine it passes through other peopleīs property.

Regarding waste I imagine the solution is a septic tank and a boat to drain septic tank every week, correct? (The site is only accessible by boat.)

What about water supply? How realistic is it to use a reverse osmosis to supplement rain water collection?

Thanks so much everybody, we are really excited about this but so scared about the pitfalls.

Best
C + A

Edited by islandcouple (18 April 17 8:23 am - America/Chicago)

#252185 - 18 April 17 9:35 am - America/Chicago Re: Getting electricity to your site. Amber Gris Caye [Re: islandcouple]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Yes, it's probably possible to get grid power, if you are willing to pay for it (pay a lot for it). I say "probably possible" because of the no-road-access situation. Do you know if there is a GOB-designated road easement adjacent to your property? That would be a Lands Department question. Road easements usually provide for utility easements. If not, BEL would have to get easements from the intervening property owners. I would expect they could, via eminent domain, though whether they could or would for a single service is a question I don't know the answer to. If they did, you'd end up paying all the legal costs, no doubt. The last number I heard, years ago, was $30,000. BZD per mile for service into new areas. I have to think you'd end up spending a pretty penny just to get yourself an electric bill for BEL's notoriously-unreliable power. For the same or less money, you could build your own power system integrating solar, wind, and diesel/natural gas generation (for high load periods only). No electric bill (Belize has some of the highest electric rates in Central America) and, if you built in extra capacity, you could "sell" power to your neighbors via a rural electric cooperative. The thing is, if you even wish to consider doing such a thing, you have to do it BEFORE BEL brings power to your area. Once they do, you have to buy electricity from them if you have it at all. If it were me and the absence of BEL power to your property allowed you to do it (that 100-meter distance is a question too), I'd set up a co-generation system now, if for no other reason than to preserve your right to do it in the future. My understanding is that when BEL brings grid power to a new area, existing stand-alone systems are grandfathered in.
I know of several private homes, restaurants, small resorts, and small housing developments on the Cerros peninsula of the Corozal District that use a combination of rainwater catchment and r/o for their water needs. They need r/o because the wells in that area (deep and shallow) tend to be somewhat saline.
Greg
P.S. The Cerros peninsula is entirely without BEL power, so all those private homes, resorts, restaurants, and developments depend on solar, wind, and backup fossil-fuel generation for their electrical needs. Hope this is some help.
Greg

#252186 - 18 April 17 10:29 am - America/Chicago Re: Getting electricity to your site. Amber Gris Caye [Re: islandcouple]
britinbelize Offline

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
have you got any estimate from the local solar companies, for the amount of electricity you would need to generate. Even in the rainy season with days of heavy cloud cover you get some solar production. The guys at Pro Solar in Belmopan do go out to the cayes to set up and instal their equipment. they do wind and solar power and are very professional and helpful. We have been using them for our home for 3 years now we have never actually run out of power using the amount of panels and batteries they recommended. given that there have been times in the rainy season when reduction of consumption of power we have reduced to lighting refrigeration and using only minimal power, but had we added an extra panel and battery would have avoided that. (our choice not to) On the coast youwould probably be a better position for the Wind power also which our location is not ideal for. Often rainy cloudy days are windy which could even things out for your location, once installed Solar power pays for itself in a couple of years of not having BEL bills. There are other solar companies in Belize I am just familiar and happy with Pro solar.

#252187 - 18 April 17 10:47 am - America/Chicago Re: Getting electricity to your site. Amber Gris Caye [Re: britinbelize]
islandcouple Offline

Thanks for the info. Will definately look them up!
Chris

#252188 - 18 April 17 10:50 am - America/Chicago Re: Getting electricity to your site. Amber Gris Caye [Re: GZboat]
islandcouple Offline

Thanks so much. All Iīm worried about is the guests running out of power. In a typical well sized power generation combo, how often do you need to use the genrator? Is it once a week, once a month or more like once every 2 days? Also isnīt the importation of fuel going to be prohibitive?

Thanks in advance
Chris

#252191 - 18 April 17 6:08 pm - America/Chicago Re: Getting electricity to your site. Amber Gris Caye [Re: islandcouple]
britinbelize Offline

Loc: Bay area CA + Belmopan
The gas prices in Belize are all regulated by district. Government warnings go our regularly stating if some one is offering price cutting of gas then don't buy, it is likely adulterated and can damage your machinery.

#252193 - 18 April 17 10:40 pm - America/Chicago Re: Getting electricity to your site. Amber Gris Caye [Re: islandcouple]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Closer to Ambergris Caye than Pro Solar are the Mennonites of Little Belize. There are a couple of experienced installers from Little Belize with satisfied customers in the Corozal District, and installations you could see. I don't have their names, but could find out during my next visit. Little Belize Mennonites are building wind turbines right in the community and their units are generally considered to be better than the usual Chinese imports. Belize is a good place to consider off-grid alternative power. Since so much of the country still lacks access to grid power, including some very desirable tourism locales, a high degree of professional expertise is available in the country.
Greg

#252213 - 23 April 17 4:40 am - America/Chicago Re: Getting electricity to your site. Amber Gris Caye [Re: islandcouple]
Ken_Wilford Offline

Loc: Millville, NJ USA
On top of all of this, off grid power, and water recycling are what many guests to Belize get excited about! This is a huge marketing opportunity for your new mini-resort. If you are green and self sustaining, you will lure those guests who value that type of thing and they are a growing group. So you would be killing two birds with one stone. Providing power and water to your resort, and also luring new customers at the same time. A win-win.
John 3:16
http://www.vanagain.com

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Hopkins here we come!!
by JohnP
11:18 AM
septic design
by cayobound
15 October 17 8:31 pm - America/Chicago
Locating Contractors in the Hopkins Area
by Loudsecret
14 October 17 4:09 pm - America/Chicago
Septic system
by Loudsecret
14 October 17 3:22 pm - America/Chicago
FREE Belize Online Classified Ads
by adclassified
14 October 17 10:56 am - America/Chicago
Selling 2acres Sarteneja Rocky point Seafront and lagoon front
by BZ501
14 October 17 9:53 am - America/Chicago
ocean freight company?
by JohnP
13 October 17 8:29 am - America/Chicago
Shipping from Alberta to Belize
by Katzgar
12 October 17 4:25 pm - America/Chicago
Strange building under construction in Belmopan
by McBob
06 October 17 7:46 am - America/Chicago
Cenrut 3.6 available(GPS maps of Belize)!
by dakrause
03 October 17 10:15 am - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE

BookBelize.com | Belizespecials.com | Belize.net | Belizenet.com