Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#247938 - 16 November 14 11:27 am - America/Chicago Re: Considering the move to Belize [Re: truthman]
Gringo51 Offline

Loc: USA
Considering the last few years a few expats were murdered during the break ins I would say the number has increased by a butt load.

#247940 - 16 November 14 12:00 pm - America/Chicago Re: Considering the move to Belize [Re: ginandtonic]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Quote:
"A few months ago, Margaret Briggs (anthropologist) did do an informal survey of 50 Corozal town expat residents and found that about 80% had been victims of property crime in the past four years. The crimes ranged from petty thefts of materials to violent home invasions."

Ah yes, that post. Of course, the operative word is INFORMAL. Ms. Briggs is a respected anthropologist and I think she indeed does know a thing or two about statistical analysis. I'd bet she'd be horrified to see that survey quoted as support for an otherwise-unverified claim. I don't know how many expats were living in Corozal Town at the time and, I suspect, neither do you. So neither of us knows if it's a representative sample or not. I do know there are way more expats living in Corozal Town and the surrounding villages now, so that survey is outdated and invalid. The results of a current, properly-done survey of crime victimization in the area would be very interesting and I would not want to guess at the results. And too, that survey was done right around the time MS. Briggs had her own experience with Belizean crime (which I will not discuss out of respect for her privacy). The very fact of that incident might well have skewed the results, in the way the questions were phrased and in the ways they were answered. I'm afraid that survey doesn't rise to the bar of verifiable statistic. Too bad, nice try.
Greg
P.S. Were someone to undertake a similar survey of adults in the states, taking in all forms of petty and major crimes, I'd bet the numbers would approach 75% here too.

Edited by GZboat (16 November 14 12:02 pm - America/Chicago)

#247944 - 17 November 14 2:42 am - America/Chicago Re: Considering the move to Belize [Re: GZboat]
thecol Offline

Interesting observations

"Hey all,

Well I went and gave it a month and stayed in Placencia village...

Pro's:

1. Ruins were great to visit if the ride was very long.
2. People were very friendly (bar one - see Con's)
3. Pickled Parrot is fun to hang out.
4. Did some great photography, so much beauty.
5. Wendy's do a great double cheese bacon burger.
6. Felt like being home in the US in a number of ways.

Con's:

1. Got bad intestine infection (still recovering) because Angie Markham owner of Flamboyant Belize told me it was safe to drink the tap water and she had been drinking it for years (yeah right).
2. Brenda on the pier front is a simply loathsome crack-addict woman and made it difficult to go near the pier front as she was always screaming abuse out at me on a daily basis. Apparently she destroys a lot of local business with her treatment of tourists.
3. Had to kill a black widow spider in my apartment.
4. Beaches were simply filthy with washed up pollution, barely found a clean spot.
5. Asians charge the earth and moon for anything that is imported 250% mark up across the board.
6. When I blacked out from exhaustion from intestine infection and knocked the 1980s relic portable tv across the floor and broke it was being extorted by landlady Markham for $350 BZD to replace it which I found the same one on ebay for $15.00.
7. The single engine twin propella plane ride x 2 to Placencia was cramped beyond belief and simply terrifying especially with turbulence. NEVER AGAIN.

If you go stay north ward so you can avoid the tiny planes, they are terrifying. Placencia village? An up and coming ghetto village, quaint in places, disgusting in others. I would not recommend it."

OUCH ---OUCH---OUCH

ALL------IMHO

#247945 - 17 November 14 6:45 am - America/Chicago Re: Considering the move to Belize [Re: truthman]
wingnut1970 Offline

Loc: Sueno del Mar, Corozal
Hey Brenda, my wife and I would like some private time on the pier! If i give you $20 would you lets have the pier?

Brenda then goes off to score a quarter gram of rock and will be busy for a hour or so

Problem solved!!!

P.S. I do hope all addicts get help

#247955 - 17 November 14 1:26 pm - America/Chicago Re: Considering the move to Belize [Re: thecol]
thyme 2 go slow Offline

@ the col: TOS #7 " A link to the content is acceptable and appropriate."
How old is your quote?
Brenda appears to be clean for 'bout 3 years now (since her decade long, white, crackhead bf died)
I'm happy for her she turned it around! The village then let her build the ONLY little shop right by waters edge, there's no problem with her neighboring business they're laughing together early every morning I walk by.
AND you don't have to walk by her to go onto the pier, the new pier opened 2 years ago nearly one hundred yards away..

Edited by thyme 2 go slow (17 November 14 1:29 pm - America/Chicago)

#247956 - 17 November 14 1:29 pm - America/Chicago Re: Considering the move to Belize [Re: thyme 2 go slow]
wingnut1970 Offline

Loc: Sueno del Mar, Corozal
Originally Posted By: thyme 2 go slow
@ the col: TOS #7 " A link to the content is acceptable and appropriate."
How old is your quote?
Brenda appears to be clean for 'bout 3 years now (since her decade long, white, crackhead bf died)
I'm happy for her she turned it around! The village then let her build the ONLY little shop right by waters edge, there's no problem with her neighboring business they're laughing together early every morning I walk by.
AND you don't have walk by her to go onto the pier, the new pier opened 2 years ago nearly one hundred yards away..

Thats AWESOME that she has cleaned up !! Good News !

#251973 - 14 February 17 9:54 pm - America/Chicago Re: Considering the move to Belize [Re: truthman]
admissionb Offline

Belize is definitely not the cheapest place to live in. A tropical paradise with so many advantages does not come as cheap as other retirement areas such as certain Latin American or Asian countries. In fact living on a North American or European lifestyle here will cost as much or more. But resident expats here say they live more comfortably than back home. Retirement cheques, stocks and investment income, just appear to go further in Belize.
--------------------
dayananda sagar college of engineering admission

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Auto purchase from QRP person
by tedvmillar
2006 Driver's Guide is Out
by D InTheShade
07:39 PM
Reimer's Health Food
by BrigitteBac
08:34 AM
Whole wheat creole bread
by sassyone
08:19 AM
Canyon Acquisition et al ---
by patsy
04:02 AM
Looking for a rider, or caravan, from Texas to Belize early May.
by Reilly
08:14 PM
Ferry service update
by GZboat
11:48 AM
Placencia Village Canal Front Long Term Rental House
by Backader
09:16 AM
Considering the move to Belize
by admissionb
14 February 17 9:54 pm - America/Chicago
Ensure property is Authenticated before purchase!
by Osprey
13 February 17 10:06 am - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE

BookBelize.com | Belizespecials.com | Belize.net | Belizenet.com