Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#246090 - 08 August 14 7:24 pm - America/Chicago Boat Registration/Boat Master's license
Jarhead0369 Offline

Loc: Arkansas, USA
I have looked on the forum and all I could find was postings that were from 2009 or earlier. I also searched the Belize Port Authority and found the rules from 2008, and was hoping someone that's "been there done that" could answer a few questions.

1. Does everyone that operates a motor boat in Belize have to have a Boat Master's License?

2. Is it difficult to get the license as a foreigner?

3. Is a U.S. state or federally issued license accepted in Belize?

4. Any other points that I need to know. crazy

We recently purchased land near Sarteneja that is only boat accessible, therefore I may have to have a boat... grin

Thanks

#246118 - 09 August 14 11:52 am - America/Chicago Re: Boat Registration/Boat Master's license [Re: Jarhead0369]
NoelleG Offline

This was our experience:

1. Yes, everyone needs a Belize Boat Master's (Captain's) license

2. I think you need to own property to get one. Maybe there's a way around that but my husband had to show proof of owning property

3. They did not accept his US license

4. He was allowed to bring the boat to Port Authority before he had the license to take the test. They had some kind of emergency going on so they told him to come back after lunch. He had to pick me so I went back with him and they were *really* mad that he had me in the boat with him before he had a license.

Also, they asked him if he wanted to get the license the "Belizean way" which meant pay them $500 and walk out with the license. He told them he wanted to do it the "regular way" which meant buying the booklet of Belize laws, studying it and taking a written test and a practical test. Not sure how many people take the test because it took them a long time to find a copy of it. They gave him 45 minutes and it took him about 15. Even though they were really mad at him he passed both tests.

#246141 - 10 August 14 12:20 pm - America/Chicago Re: Boat Registration/Boat Master's license [Re: Jarhead0369]
Jarhead0369 Offline

Loc: Arkansas, USA
Thanks NoelleG. How long ago did he get his license? Has he had any trouble navigating the waters around Belize (especially around the reef)? I keep hearing that it's really rough if you don't know the ins and outs of the waters.

Thanks again,

#246142 - 10 August 14 12:31 pm - America/Chicago Re: Boat Registration/Boat Master's license [Re: Jarhead0369]
NoelleG Offline

He got almost 3 years ago. He sailed down from the US and the sailboat draws too much so he's selling it. We use the skiff for running around. He had to learn the waters and he has a book of charts but we mostly stay in the same area so so far so good. He also records where he goes on a GPS for future reference.

#251851 - 25 January 17 4:59 pm - America/Chicago Re: Boat Registration/Boat Master's license [Re: Jarhead0369]
thetennisnet Offline

you have to take course i have a copy of the book that i downloaded from a nice person that took pics

you have to rent a boat and make sure they drive it to the place

test only about 10 minutes normal things

then set a time to bring a boat back to take the test

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Is anyone a fire dancer/entertainer or know of one?
by leenew828
09:39 AM
Burglar Bars availability near Hopkins
by britinbelize
12:27 PM
Google Earth updates
by TexItalian
20 May 17 7:24 am - America/Chicago
New To Belize Forums
by GZboat
18 May 17 10:43 pm - America/Chicago
Sanctuary Belize on the block