Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#251676 - 01 December 16 3:52 pm - America/Chicago The Danimal does Belize - 2016
Dan Carey Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hey,
It's been a while, but I thought I'd post to the forum. How is everybody? Well, I flew into BZE on Monday November 28. Hooked up with Jacinto 621-7884 for a ride to the Water Taxi. If you need a cab, call him. He's allright.

We stopped into the Traffic department because my driver's license was about to expire, I forked over too much money and took my receipt. I'd have to come back for the license.

Took the cattle boat to San Pedro town. No big deal.

Linda had to fly on a separate itinary. She took a Tropic hop to SPR and got there about the same time that I did. We grabbed cold Belikins and unpacked at Ruby's.

Tuesday we ran around, seeing how much entropy had occurred since our last visit. We knew that Mike "Island Dog" Gvara stepped on a rainbow. We looked for Doc Fischer and found that he's gone back to the US. I had brought a "W Flag" for BC's, since they always displayed flags up in the rafters. Alas, BC's is gone, too.

I dove on Thursday, with Amigos del Mar. They always pack you into a crowded boat, so normally I dive with Bottom Time. It looks like the Holiday Hotel is rebuilding their pier after the latest hurricane so Bottom Time is out of business. Well, the dives went okay and I headed back to Ruby's to shower and head to the water taxi.

We got to Belize City late and Jacinto picked us up. We rushed to the traffic office to pick up my license just as they closed. I paid my first bribe in Belize to one of the clerks to get my license. She called it a "tip".

Picked up a rent-a-wreck and motored to Placencia. Christ forgive me, but I trusted Google Maps, which put me on the Coastal Highway. I vaguely remembered hearing that the Coastal had been paved. Boy, was I wrong.

The rainy season is drawing to a close, but there were still 18" deep lakes of muddy water on the unpaved Coastal Highway. Lots of fun in the pitch black of night with no moon. We pulled into Placencia and bedded down at the Tradewinds.

We previously stayed with George and Lisa at the Westwinds, but they're out of business and some condos are being built on the site of their hotel. I figured that they sold out for big bucks but I hear that they got screwed by family members and lost the deed. I hope to hear their side of the story.

We like the Tradewinds. So far it seems like a fine place to swing in a hammock and listen to the waves break on the shore. More later.

Dan

#251679 - 02 December 16 6:11 am - America/Chicago Re: The Danimal does Belize - 2016 [Re: Dan Carey]
Ken_Wilford Offline

Loc: Millville, NJ USA
Dan, I just sent a recommendation to Google Maps to tell people to avoid the Coastal Hwy. That thing has tripped up more first time visitors to Belize than anything else. I have heard so many horror stories of folks trying to drive down it at night. I will let you know what Google says.
John 3:16
http://www.vanagain.com

#251683 - 02 December 16 9:36 am - America/Chicago Re: The Danimal does Belize - 2016 [Re: Dan Carey]
GZboat Online   content

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
I'm truly sad to hear about George, Lisa, and the Westwinds. I liked them and their hotel a lot. They had a dugout there that proved to be quite the embarrassment to this supposedly-experienced kayaker. I could NOT keep the right side up. It was pretty damn funny, actually. Sorry to hear they are not in business anymore.
Greg

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Help free Big Red
by GZboat