Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#232504 - 13 June 13 6:09 am - America/Chicago Mistreated Irish Setter pups
windyg Offline

Loc: Oregon/Bullet Tree Falls
Yesterday we stopped to see Claudia and Franklin (owner's of our pups parents) to see what yummy baked things Claudia had to sell. Under the name Vanilla Hills, she sells wonderful breads and pastries. Franklin was extremely upset and had to show me the three pups he'd "repossessed" just hours before. Originally a fellow from Spanish Lookout purchased the three pups to use to hunt. Franklin visited their place to talk to him about the agreed upon spaying and neutering. He found the three, each on a 3 foot chain, without water and filthy. The particulars are his business, but I'll just say that Franklin returned their money and eventually bro't the pups home. They were dashing about in the wonderful, huge yard he fenced off for their dogs, like released prisoners and coming to the fence for hugs along with the rest. The three were muddy and looked horrible compared to the beauties of Claudia and Franklin. At least it appeared that they had been fed while in captivity. Poor Franklin, who is such a kind and gentle man, practically had steam coming out of his ears he was so upset about the state of these pups.

Today he said he'll bathe the three and then has arranged with a vet to handle the spaying of the one female and neutering the two males. As they already have the parent dogs and two pups, along with three other dogs, they will be looking for good homes for these three.

We had never set out to buy Irish Setters, but being around them has opened our eyes to what loving, intelligent dogs they are. Our two have brought such joy and love to us. They really want to please and just offer love and puppy hugs. To tie them up and keep them isolated is a huge crime against their loving nature. If you live in Belize and have love to offer, I know they are just looking for good homes for these three.

#232508 - 13 June 13 7:30 am - America/Chicago Re: Mistreated Irish Setter pups [Re: windyg]
ckocian Offline

Loc: San Antonio TX USA and Seine B...
There probably never has been a dog breeder who would do such a follow up on pups in Belize. It's nice to know that this breeder made a visit since, in this case, the dogs were just being treated like dogs and not family pets. They wouldn't have ever lived very nicely under those conditions. I don't imagine Irish Setters are great at being hunting dogs in any case.

Edited by ckocian (13 June 13 7:33 am - America/Chicago)

#232509 - 13 June 13 8:04 am - America/Chicago Re: Mistreated Irish Setter pups [Re: ckocian]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
Quote:
I don't imagine Irish Setters are great at being hunting dogs in any case.

Not true. It all depends on the bloodline, of course, but Irish Setters were originally bred to be bird hunting dogs and the instincts are very much still there. The 2nd smartest dog I ever had (after my Border Collie) was an Irish Setter. She'd have been great as a hunter if I'd chosen to train her that way because I could train her to do ANYTHING. She made me look like the dog whisperer; I'm not. But Irish Setters are very people-oriented dogs. They enjoy training and work because they are interacting with their people. It's just another form of play time to them. They are much happier with lots of interaction with their folks, and miserable if left alone.
Greg
P.S. If I was going to be in Belize full-time soon, I adopt one of those pups in a New York minute. Kudos to the breeder for watching out for his puppies.

Edited by GZboat (13 June 13 8:06 am - America/Chicago)

#232512 - 13 June 13 8:28 am - America/Chicago Re: Mistreated Irish Setter pups [Re: windyg]
April05 Offline

Loc: Cayo
It is good to hear the breeders took the time to follow up upon the little ones!

Thank you Windyg for sharing this story.

I wish I had more room in our home. I love the breed and the personalities of those dogs.

#232514 - 13 June 13 9:05 am - America/Chicago Re: Mistreated Irish Setter pups [Re: windyg]
ckocian Offline

Loc: San Antonio TX USA and Seine B...
Maybe it's just me but I think bird dogs aren't used in the traditional sense in Belize. Don't hunters in Belize use dogs to chase down pigs and jags? Maybe deer?

#232524 - 13 June 13 1:02 pm - America/Chicago Re: Mistreated Irish Setter pups [Re: windyg]
GZboat Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl./Copper Ban...
ck, if that was the case they would not do well and most likely get severely injured or worse in the process. Bird dogs are not appropriate for hunting large mammals. Their instincts are all wrong for that; they are wired to find, signal, and flush, not physically attack.
Greg

#232529 - 13 June 13 6:02 pm - America/Chicago Re: Mistreated Irish Setter pups [Re: GZboat]
thecol Offline

Airedales are more suited for that type of hunting IMHO

#232530 - 13 June 13 6:11 pm - America/Chicago Re: Mistreated Irish Setter pups [Re: windyg]
windyg Offline

Loc: Oregon/Bullet Tree Falls
I agree that the setters aren't built for hunting larger animals. They are tall and leggy, built to run, but don't have the bulk to fight. They also don't have the large, strong teeth to fight. Now our Akita has TEETH. The setters biggest asset, besides their beauty, is their desire to give and receive love and companionship.

#232531 - 13 June 13 7:16 pm - America/Chicago Re: Mistreated Irish Setter pups [Re: windyg]
JungleJane Offline

Loc: Santa Familia, Cayo, Belize
Thanks for putting this post up! I would love to take one of the three, and we are still thinking about it, but with our nine rescues, we have our hands full really :-) I love Claudia and Franklin for how they are following up on the offspring of their beloved parent dogs!!! I wish all breeders did!!!

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
FOR SALE: 26 foot aguasport/wellcraft
by JohnP
07:44 PM