Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#222104 - 17 October 12 5:54 am - America/Chicago Officially Retired in Belize
Billbert Offline

Loc: Western Lagoon,BZ
Well folks, after 5 long years of planning, we are officially retired on the banks of the Western Lagoon and starting the good life. Solar system is up and running, water tanks are full, pantry and frige are full .... ahhhhhhh. Perfect paradise ... except for the sand flys. They love my fresh white meat. Anyone got any sure fired cures for those vicious little critters. Thanks to my wife and caretaker for putting up with my insanity, but they have hung in there and things are going about as expected. Feel free to ask questions. Now, we can start the hunt for a good boat to go scuba diving, fishing and general playing around the lagoon and Caribbean.
Did I say ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yet?
ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

#222105 - 17 October 12 6:03 am - America/Chicago Re: Officially Retired in Belize [Re: Billbert]
LanSluder Offline

Loc: USA/Belize
Congratulations!

#222108 - 17 October 12 7:24 am - America/Chicago Re: Officially Retired in Belize [Re: Billbert]
sassyone Offline

Loc: Riverbend,BZ.....WA.
Welcome to our Little Belize...

Here's a link for making your own mosquito repellent,yes,it also works on sand flies. I moved here three years ago,have been making/using my homemade repellent with 100% satisfaction. I varied the recipes a bit by adding cider vinegar to the recipe,but had brought all my essential oils from the states. Tweak it to your satisfaction,just stick with natural ingredients. Also try planting lemon grass(fever grass) around your yard,along with a couple of garlic beds(easy to grow garlic from the market,there's also a beautiful flowering vine here called garlic vine for the fence...Link...http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-insect-mosquito-repellent/

#222113 - 17 October 12 8:44 am - America/Chicago Re: Officially Retired in Belize [Re: sassyone]
ginandtonic Online   sick

Loc: Sudbury, Ontario, Canuckistan
Sand fleas are a force to be reckoned with. Multiple bites are intensely itchy and carry the risk of cellulitis and eventually septic shock and endocarditis taking the fun out of retirement.
They also cause Cutaneous Leishmaniasis: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8381299
Treatment involves toxic antimony compounds.
Prevention includes: Putting fine mesh around your body ( see pic below)
Wearing insect repellent 95% DEET (can dissolve plastic lens eyewear)
Wearing protective clothing (wool socks tucked into cargo pantsand hiking boots should be ok)
Native Americans used to rub bear grease and pine resin all over themselves to keep noseums away. If you wish something natural.

Cutaneous Leishmaniasis:

^ Don't screw around if this happens
Garlic and lemongrass is fine for cooking.
Remember life in Belize is like dining in a big restaurant with you as the main entree

“The idea that a pessimistic philosophy is necessarily one of discouragement is a puerile idea, but one that needs too long a refutation.”
Albert Camus

#222117 - 17 October 12 9:16 am - America/Chicago Re: Officially Retired in Belize [Re: Billbert]
Dave Bunk Offline

Loc: Mine Hill NJ
We used the same basic recipe but added Avon skin so soft to it

#222123 - 17 October 12 1:53 pm - America/Chicago Re: Officially Retired in Belize [Re: Billbert]
Billbert Offline

Thanks everyone for the noseeum recipies. Next time to market you can bet we'll be bying oils. Dave, like the skin-so-soft because it smells soooo goooood. Hey, remind me where you live Dave?
Gin ... great pics ... but ... you're killing me dude. Especially the last one ... yuck ... that would ruin your whole day man.

#222124 - 17 October 12 2:35 pm - America/Chicago Re: Officially Retired in Belize [Re: Billbert]
April05 Offline

Loc: Cayo
Originally Posted By: Billbert
Well folks, after 5 long years of planning, we are officially retired on the banks of the Western Lagoon and starting the good life. Solar system is up and running, water tanks are full, pantry and frige are full .... ahhhhhhh. Perfect paradise ... except for the sand flys. They love my fresh white meat. Anyone got any sure fired cures for those vicious little critters. Thanks to my wife and caretaker for putting up with my insanity, but they have hung in there and things are going about as expected. Feel free to ask questions. Now, we can start the hunt for a good boat to go scuba diving, fishing and general playing around the lagoon and Caribbean.
Did I say ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yet?
ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Welcome Neighbor! We have property on the western lagoon, but have not yet developed anything upon it. You also have some lovely wonderful neighbors just up the road from you as well! Hope to meet the two of you soon. As for the no seeums. We have found Johnson's & Johnson's baby mosquitto and insect repellent to work wonders. However once bit, take your favorite dish liquid and dab on a drop and leave it to dry, which will help stop the insane itch usually within 20 to 30 minutes and the itch does not usually come back. Good Luck and see you soon. Out of curiosity, which side of the lagoon are you on?

#222125 - 17 October 12 4:10 pm - America/Chicago Re: Officially Retired in Belize [Re: Billbert]
Billbert Offline

April05,
Your profile doesn't tell me much about who you are.
But then again, mine probably isn
't much better.
We are on the western side of the Western Lagoon or Sapodilla Lagoon as it sometimes referred to. Thanks for the bug info. Looking forward to meeting all our neighbors.
Do you know Alan at WitZoo? We met him on Tuesday in Belmopan. We'll have to have a block party sometime.
Regards

#222126 - 17 October 12 5:16 pm - America/Chicago Re: Officially Retired in Belize [Re: Billbert]
sassyone Offline

Loc: Riverbend,BZ.....WA.
@ Billbert,if you've met Alan,then you're in for a real treat for he's truly a unique individual,and great friend. If you golf,then you may sometime in the future come across him again.

#222127 - 17 October 12 5:27 pm - America/Chicago Re: Officially Retired in Belize [Re: Billbert]
Billbert Offline

Hey Sassy, I've met Paul at Roaring River Golf also ... actually a few years ago. Looking forward to a tour of Alan's place at WitZoo. It's only about 3 miles past our turnoff.

One thing I've learned down here ... early to bed ... early to rise. Love sitting on the porch early in the AM and watching the sun come up with my coffee.

We are blogging this adventure because most of our friends in Colorado think we've lost our minds. To which I reply, Nope ... not the mind ... Just the money ...
Later ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
US Elections
by KatieValk
12:37 PM
The Placencia Hotel under scrutiny
by bubblebreaker
10:46 AM
Canyon Acquisition et al ---
by bubblebreaker
08:05 AM
Commercial Papaya cultivation
by KatieValk
08:54 AM
Beachfront Wanted for Potential Resort
by thecol
08:27 AM
Belize Added to US Drug Blacklist / Belize's High Murder Rates
by bubblebreaker
20 October 14 11:01 am - America/Chicago
BREAKING: Carnival Cruise Passengers Flagged For Ebola
by bubblebreaker
20 October 14 10:08 am - America/Chicago
BAGA
by April05
19 October 14 11:40 am - America/Chicago
A critical look at expats in belize
by thecol
19 October 14 10:50 am - America/Chicago
has anyone here actually gone to belize to retire....
by thecol
19 October 14 10:45 am - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE

BookBelize.com | Belizespecials.com | Belize.net | Belizenet.com