Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#221304 - 29 September 12 7:10 pm - America/Chicago For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana
ggregory Offline

Hi I have a Canadian registered 2000 Pontiac Montana that I am currently driving in Mexico to Belize. I wish to sell the car in Belize.

Does anyone know of anyone who might want to buy this car (for a great price)? Also any information about how to import the car if this is needed?

Thanks,
Glenn

#221308 - 29 September 12 10:17 pm - America/Chicago Re: For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana [Re: ggregory]
Beanie Offline

You cannot sell the vehicle in MX, legally. If you would like to bring the vehicle in to BZ, you would have to pay the duty on it or get an insurance bond, which you can only get once and is valid for up to a year.

#221482 - 03 October 12 5:29 pm - America/Chicago Re: For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana [Re: ggregory]
ggregory Offline

Hi Beanie. Thanks for the reply.

What is an insurance bond? Can i bring the car into the country on a temporary permit and then try to sell once I'm in the country. Then pay the duty on it once I sell it?

Thanks,
Glenn

#221484 - 03 October 12 9:12 pm - America/Chicago Re: For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana [Re: ggregory]
CTscuba Offline

Originally Posted By: ggregory
What is an insurance bond? Can i bring the car into the country on a temporary permit and then try to sell once I'm in the country. Then pay the duty on it once I sell it?

I'm not aware of an insurance bond. Technically, when bringing a personally-owned vehicle into Belize you either pay the duty or get a temporary permanent with a deposit equal to the amount of the duty which is refunded when you leave the country. Sometimes the deposit is collected, sometimes it's not.
To be safe and perfectly legal: if you want to sell it in BZ, pay the duty and add it to the price.
You can get around all that with appropriate bribes to willing officials but it's just not worth the risk.

#222062 - 16 October 12 10:38 am - America/Chicago Re: For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana [Re: CTscuba]
ggregory Offline

Thanks for the reply CTscuba. I think I'm just going to sell the car for whatever costs it takes me to import the car. So somebody is going to get a great deal!

The import tax I believe is 60% of blue book value? Is this correct? It's extremely high! Any idea how to find the blue book value? Would would they use 60% of the price I bought it for, which I have a copy of the ownership papers stating this. I only bought about 5 months ago.

Thanks for the info. Also if anyone know anyone looking for a vehicle let me know :-)

Glenn

#222065 - 16 October 12 11:09 am - America/Chicago Re: For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana [Re: ggregory]
bambie Offline

Loc: Corozal Belize
if you have the ownership paperwork with your purchase price on it.. that is want to are SUPPOSED to use... but sometime they just make shit up.. they did with our RV! and we had the purchase recipt with the price we paid!
good luck
here is a link for duty on car/truck http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html

#222066 - 16 October 12 11:17 am - America/Chicago Re: For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana [Re: ggregory]
Dave Bunk Offline

Loc: Mine Hill NJ
Duty goes by age, number of engine cylinders. gas or diesel. Very many variables and they can make up any price they want.

#222076 - 16 October 12 4:32 pm - America/Chicago Re: For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana [Re: ggregory]
ggregory Offline

Thanks for the replies again.

Im thinking of a backup option. If I cant find a buyer before I get to Belize I can import it on a temporary car permit. Then can I take the car to the wreckers and get a letter to say it has been scrapped. If I have this will they remove the temporary car permit from my passport so I can leave the country?

Obviously I dont want to do this as it is such a waste of a perfectly great vehicle, but I am running out of time and may not have any other options.

#222084 - 16 October 12 8:13 pm - America/Chicago Re: For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana [Re: ggregory]
Beanie Offline

When I first moved to BZ, I did not want to pay the duty on my vehicle as I was not sure that I was going to stay (one year rule) and was not interested paying the duty until I was sure. I brought it in on a temporary permit and then purchased the insurance bond before the 30 days were up. I had it done at/near the border.

If you would like to sell your vehicle in MX, advertise on one of the forums and you may find a buyer that will meet you in the free zone.

#222106 - 17 October 12 6:17 am - America/Chicago Re: For Sale: 2000 Pontiac Montana [Re: ggregory]
bambie Offline

Loc: Corozal Belize
so then what is your asking price? if you want to try to find a buyer first.. you need a list a price & pics if possible.. some one out there maybe looking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
by April05
04:21 PM
2 acre waterfront estate for sale
by thecol
09:26 AM
Iguana Creek bridge
by windyg
08:13 AM
Riversdale
by wingnut1970
29 October 14 11:11 pm - America/Chicago
GoFundMe campaign for Belize baby
by ckocian
29 October 14 4:04 pm - America/Chicago
Octavia Waight Center.
by April05
29 October 14 3:20 pm - America/Chicago
Leaving a vehicle in Belize
by britinbelize
29 October 14 2:24 pm - America/Chicago
Anyone aware of the Ara Macao development in Placencia area?
by thecol
29 October 14 1:14 pm - America/Chicago
Murder of Patricia Nichiporowich remains unsolved one year later
by corozal dave
29 October 14 10:30 am - America/Chicago
Quarantine
by kanela
29 October 14 7:32 am - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE

BookBelize.com | Belizespecials.com | Belize.net | Belizenet.com