Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#219337 - 13 August 12 4:25 pm - America/Chicago Re: Homeschooling in Belize?? [Re: BlmopnGringo]
thecol Offline

After reading your various posts I am startled that you are moving to Belize to live in the jungle somewhere and raise a young child .You must have unbelievable stamina and internal fortitude.
Especially after living in NJ and being highly educated.

I wish you all the luck in the world and perhaps you shall start a blog to tell us how you are doing in YOUR NEW WORLD

#219338 - 13 August 12 4:45 pm - America/Chicago Re: Homeschooling in Belize?? [Re: momof3]
Dave Bunk Offline

Loc: Mine Hill NJ
We did the same thing from NJ to Toledo and it was not that hard to imagine doing.

#219346 - 13 August 12 7:17 pm - America/Chicago Re: Homeschooling in Belize?? [Re: momof3]
dkafka Offline

Loc: Placencia Belize
I did come here a few times in 2 years before we moved here, going on 3 years now. We home school our daughter here who is 15 years old and she likes it and is doing good. We are in a program out of California and she will graduate and get a diploma just like all the other kids. You can PM me if you have any other questions.
631-9622

#219360 - 14 August 12 6:20 am - America/Chicago Re: Homeschooling in Belize?? [Re: thecol]
Anton Offline

Loc: Succotz
Originally Posted By: thecol

After reading your various posts I am startled that you are moving to Belize to live in the jungle somewhere and raise a young child .You must have unbelievable stamina and internal fortitude.

I wish you all the luck in the world and perhaps you shall start a blog to tell us how you are doing in YOUR NEW WORLD

"Live in the jungle" is a bit of an overstatement - it's more like moving to the sticks in the US, hours of driving to an interstate, hospital or Walmart. Similar problems and same benefits. Being highly educated usually means having an aptitude for learning new things - a valuable survival skill in the sticks.

#219361 - 14 August 12 6:23 am - America/Chicago Re: Homeschooling in Belize?? [Re: Dave Bunk]
BlmopnGringo Offline

Loc: NJ & Belmopan
Originally Posted By: Dave Bunk
Comparing Camden or Newark to Toledo district!!! That is the final straw we need to duel at dawn for the honor of Toledo. That is if we ever get to meet!!!!!

I'm not much of a morning person, so how about a duel at the crack of noon? You name the place.

Seriously, though, we should get together. I'll drop you a PM.

#219367 - 14 August 12 7:41 am - America/Chicago Re: Homeschooling in Belize?? [Re: thecol]
BlmopnGringo Offline

Loc: NJ & Belmopan
Originally Posted By: thecol

Thank you for the complement. While its is definitely jungle, it is not (as Anton correctly observes) "Heart of Darkness"-type jungle. We're going to be next door neighbors to the Lodge at Chaa Creek, and will have easy access to the Western Highway and San Ignacio.

The decision to move down really isn't all that startling. My wife is a life-long Belizean, and when agreed to get married (and she agreed to come to the States) it was on the condition that we would buy a place in Belize and that we would eventually settle there.

As for building a place, I have a good deal of experience with construction; I grew up in a construction family (my brother is a contractor and my father and grandfather were in the trades) and I have been restoring historic buildings on the side for years. It is definitely going to be a challenge building a house in Belize while we are still living in the States, but I'm confident that we can do it if we take the time to get it right, and only have work done while I am there to personally supervise it.

The biggest issue is going to be our son. It will be a few years before we will make the move, and I am concerned about how he will do living in Belize full time. Fortunately, my wife's family is nearby in Belmopan, and we travel down as often as we can for as long as we can so he can become comfortable there.

I have given some thought to starting a blog, but I have so many other things going on that I don't think I have the time right now. If I do, I'll certainly let you and everyone on the Forums know.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Legal representation
by cayobound