Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#210273 - 01 February 12 8:00 pm - America/Chicago Satellite Internet in Belize
Billbert Offline

Loc: Western Lagoon,BZ
Is anyone on the forums using satellite internet and how is it working? It looks like Hughesnet is about the only choice. Is there any other option? Thanks for any feedback.

#210284 - 02 February 12 8:32 am - America/Chicago Re: Satellite Internet in Belize [Re: Billbert]
chris45 Offline

Loc: Belmopn
Yes there are quite a few forum members using satellite systems. If you search you will find tons of inf.

#210286 - 02 February 12 8:38 am - America/Chicago Re: Satellite Internet in Belize [Re: Billbert]
corozal dave Offline

Loc: Toronto/Corozal
Yes, I've been using Satellite Internet for 2 years. It uses Hughesnet equipment, but it is from Galaxy Broadband in Canada. I've found it works very well.
I have a 400 meg per day download limit, however it becomes unlimited from 1am est to 6 am est. Speed has not been an issue, Skype works just fine. So I use a download manager (IDM) and set it to download large video files at night so I have not had any issues....unless friends with teenage kids come over and 5 or 6 hours of youtube and I've hit my max. They then punish you for 24 hours of very slow service...but they also give you a few free tokens and will sell more to bring your service back to normal. It is not cheap, I spend approx. $100.00 CDN/mth

#210289 - 02 February 12 9:05 am - America/Chicago Re: Satellite Internet in Belize [Re: Billbert]
sunopolicity Offline

Loc: Cayo
ditto with what Dave said.
I'm reasonably satisfied with my hughesnet arrangement.
I've done screensharing with voice quite often, use Skype and watch movies.
We've become a little spoiled with hulu and satisfy our limited tv watching while managing the download limit. Worth noting you can buy additional download tokens at 400+mb a crack for $7.50 US.
Not anywhere near as fast as cable but we get by.

#210578 - 06 February 12 9:53 am - America/Chicago Re: Satellite Internet in Belize [Re: Billbert]
Billbert Offline

CD and Sun, thanks for the info. Really appreciate good intell. Regards: Billbert

#211198 - 15 February 12 9:00 am - America/Chicago Re: Satellite Internet in Belize [Re: sunopolicity]
Bread_Baker Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Just a question as I am not there yet. Why not cable? Costs? or do you just use satellite for the movies? Thanks

#211204 - 15 February 12 9:23 am - America/Chicago Re: Satellite Internet in Belize [Re: Billbert]
Billbert Offline

BB, if you are asking me (Billbert) why I don't consider cable, our cabin is 15 miles down the Coastal Highway out in the boondocks. Don't even have power to the site, let alone cable. Depending on what my actual monthly retirement check looks like, we will be doing real good to just have solar power and get satellite internet. But the boondocks is why we picked this site to retire. The rat race will be far behind me.

#211207 - 15 February 12 10:42 am - America/Chicago Re: Satellite Internet in Belize [Re: Billbert]
jp50655 Offline

I get my internet using HughesNet and am satisfied. I work remotely for a company in The States 40 hours a week and have no problems as long as I dont stream video and stuff like that. Video on Skype works pretty well too, but not all day. I used to pay a lot more per month but Hughesnet is only 89USD for me. In my opinion there is only one name and number that you need to know. Mel Berry from Houston Media Systems and his number is 281-464-0101 (stateside). He is very familiar with Belize and setting up systems down here. He can arrange for hardware and a monthly plan. I DO NOT recommend doing any business with Tenchtonics in Belize City. Steer clear of them...

#211211 - 15 February 12 12:03 pm - America/Chicago Re: Satellite Internet in Belize [Re: Billbert]
Billbert Offline

There's actually one more name you can trust for internet or solar systems or computer stuff in Belize and that is Computer Ranch in Spanish Lookout. Harry deals with Hughes Net as well and is much closer. But extremely reliable and honest.
Harry Letkeman
Spanish Lookout Belize
(501) 823 0373
compranch@hughes.net
www.computerranch.bz

#211212 - 15 February 12 12:05 pm - America/Chicago Re: Satellite Internet in Belize [Re: Billbert]
Billbert Offline

Actually, now that I think about it, I'll bet if Mel Berry is familiar with Belize, he probably knows Harry at Spanish Lookout and I'll bet they sorta work together. Just my two-cents worth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
New procedures with Central Bank
by gelint