Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207021 - 12 December 11 4:16 am - America/Chicago Heska's Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic: *****
lee100 Offline

Loc: Belize/Taiwan
Greedy imperialist corporation Heska is having a popularity contest where five potential veterinary projects compete for a chance to win 25k in funding.

among the five potential projects is Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic... (for details see heska's facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/Heska?sk=app_7146470109)

anyone interested in animal welfare can vote for Belize and deny the other four contestants the chance of getting 25 grand of much needed veterinary funding! go forth!

#207026 - 12 December 11 7:28 am - America/Chicago Re: Heska's Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic: [Re: lee100]
ConchCr Online   content

Loc: San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Bel...
And if you're wondering why Belize needs this grant to get its first wildlife clinic started, just check out this quite amazing video made this week. Solitary Eagle
Belize Commercial Photography

#207027 - 12 December 11 7:45 am - America/Chicago Re: Heska's Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic: [Re: ConchCr]
hickatee Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda, Toledo, Belize
And another about a baby howler monkey whose hand was nearly severed. Spartacus - wildlife medical migration

#207028 - 12 December 11 8:50 am - America/Chicago Re: Heska's Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic: [Re: lee100]
Anton Offline

Loc: Succotz
It's that simple:
Go to this link: http://www.heska.com/Inspiration-Wall.aspx
1. register
2. vote

#207033 - 12 December 11 9:31 am - America/Chicago Re: Heska's Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic: [Re: lee100]
ConchCr Online   content

Loc: San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Bel...
Or, if you're on Facebook, you don't even need to register and you can vote here - VOTE HERE!!!!
Belize Commercial Photography

#207041 - 12 December 11 11:06 am - America/Chicago Re: Heska's Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic: [Re: ConchCr]
kayleon Offline

Originally Posted By: ConchCr
And if you're wondering why Belize needs this grant to get its first wildlife clinic started, just check out this quite amazing video made this week. Solitary Eagle

oh, thank you, that was wonderful.

#207058 - 12 December 11 5:55 pm - America/Chicago Re: Heska's Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic: [Re: lee100]
April05 Offline

Loc: Cayo
That was absolutely excellent!

GO Nikki and the Belize Bird Rescue and Friends.

I hope the baby makes it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#207071 - 13 December 11 6:23 am - America/Chicago Re: Heska's Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic: [Re: lee100]
kayleon Offline

I was wiping tears from my eyes while watching the video.

Isabelle Paquat-Durand is an amazing veterinarian, and the Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic is richly deserving of the HESKA award.

here's the incredible tale behind the video above:

Wildlife Conservation and Medicine in Belize

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2011

This story starts with an email from Nikki from Belize Bird Rescue, with a picture of a bird attached. Itís a juvenile raptor. And to my embarrassment I must admit, upon first very quick glance at this photo, I shrugged my shoulders and thought, "Oh another Roadside Hawk" (a very common small raptor, indeed often seen on roadsides in Belize). A minute later my phone rang. It was Nikki, sounding somewhat anxious, telling me she just received this raptor in a rice bag. The raptor was supposedly stealing a farmerís chicken. The farmer had shot the raptor and the farmerís neighbor had brought it to Nikki in the back of a pickup. Once out of the bag, it was big and feisty, and Nikki asked if I couldnít come NOW to examine, check and hopefully release the raptor again. She was NOT handling this one by herself! So I relooked at the picture and finally computed the size of Nikkiís cage, which I knew, with the size of this bird, nearly filled the cage. Ooops! So we wondered what it would be. Bird identification is like a common "game" for us. We are not (and maybe never will be) experts at identifying birds. But we know experts and we network. And of course we have books and we try to identify them ourselves. So still on the phone, Nikki suggested "it really looks like a solitary eagle." And I laughed out, and actually made fun of her over the phone.

A solitary eagle is within the rarest, least known and most endangered raptors in the world. At this time there is only one known nest in all its range. I donít think there has ever been a rescue of one, at least not reported. So we both shared the pictures with our bird experts, and once I got to Bird Rescue, and saw this animal for myself for the first time, I was amazed by its large size.

http://wildlife-conservation-belize.blog...y.html?spref=fb

whoa... the baby bird has a 69 INCH wing-span !!

here's a message from Miss Nikki about the HESKA AWARD:

The Annual Heska Competition short-list has been advertised. And guess what? Our Wildlife Vet Isabelle Paquet-Durand has taken Belize into the final 5 for this life-changing competition. The proposal with the most public votes will win $25kUS. Please, please click on the link below and vote for the Belize Wildlife Hospital and Referral Clinic
Your vote could make the world of difference to each and every bird and animal in Belize - domestic or wild, pets or livestock. Many animals die in Belize for want of basic equipment such as an x-ray, anaesthesia or ultrasound. We need this lack of facilities to be a thing of the past.
This is the real deal. Your vote WILL count. And then copy, paste, email and share, share, share with everyone you know.

Winners will be announced December 20th - so please vote now (They only ask for your to input your name and an email address - and make sure you click the two boxes 'I am a US citizen' and 'I am over 18' or your vote won't count)

http://www.heska.com/Inspiration-Wall.aspx

VOTING ENDS soon, so please go VOTE!

#207077 - 13 December 11 7:09 am - America/Chicago Re: Heska's Belize Wildlife and Referral Clinic: [Re: lee100]
kayleon Offline

The Belize Wildlife Conservation Network is an internet-based network for wildlife conservation entities in Belize and the surrounding region.

http://www.wildlifebelize.com/

"Inspiration in Action" for wildlife conservation - a personal account

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2011

<snipped>

A few days after the decision to finally start seeking outside financial support for the work I am most passionate about, I accidentally saw this "Inspiration in Action" contest... which in addition to the opportunity to help wildlife, offered the opportunity to assist the countries veterinarians and fulfill my personal mandate in the veterinary association to assist the advancement of our profession. So I felt inspired and just started writing. And I got a lot of help in the writing. And now we are in the final and with YOUR HELP could win $25,000 to purchase medical and diagnostic equipment to serve an entire country.

http://www.wildlife-conservation-belize.blogspot.com/

you can vote directly on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/Heska?sk=app_280290708677410

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts