Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 9 of 16 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196722 - 07 May 11 7:51 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
CTscuba Offline

But when you need a good screw, you never want to have to travel very far.

#196725 - 07 May 11 8:37 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
Wealth_Ships Offline

Loc: Placencia, Belize
Loving this thread, since I just happened to open my own property management company in Cayo. I did it because there was no one here specializing in it, and the couple of realtors I called to help me find a place when I arrived in Cayo never returned my calls (not surprising since we know what they're priority is).

This type of business had a low start up cost, we can run it from home in the beginning, and with my 11+ years of real estate investor experience in the States, it seemed like a natural choice. I'm not going into it with rose colored glasses - we fully expect it will take 1-2 years to really get it going and successful, but as others have said, we have the time and resources to do that.

So if you know any burned out, inexperienced, or busy landlords, we offer leasing & management services. We also offer caretaking & house sitting services to absentee owners (or we can find a short term rental for them). We can help those new to the area get their utilities set up in Cayo as well, another time consuming and frustrating experience.

Wish us luck, everyone!

#196760 - 08 May 11 6:03 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: CTscuba]
mcagun Offline

Loc: U.K; Corozal
Originally Posted By: CTscuba
[quote=jimvicki3]alarm systems for houses

Start Breeding big Dogs

#196761 - 08 May 11 7:10 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: ConchCr]
Rigrat Offline

Loc: Belmopan
Yes, starting another Hardware store in Belmopan would also be an exercise in futility. I know of at least ten. With Builders Hardware and Belmopan Aggregates and Hardware being very large hardware stores. On top of that, Spanish lookout is only twenty minutes away.

Belize Wildlife Hotline--- For advice and reporting wildlife incidents
BTL: 0800 822 8888 --- SMART: 822 8888
Or 605 8888

#196762 - 08 May 11 7:59 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
CTscuba Offline

Good to know where not to start a business as much as where to start a business. There are many places where a small hardware store might do well. Perhaps as an adjunct to another business. I believe the old Hopkins gas station was such a combination.

No business should start without a solid market analysis. Surprising how many people screw that up.

Then there's capitalization. Obviously coming down here with a large fortune makes making a small one easy. Interest rates are very high though I doubt a local loan under a tourist or work permit would even be possible absent serious collateral.

There is no substitute for being down here and investigating personally.

I think those who have a business that lends itself to using the internet (web site, remote mgmt, consulting, translations, etc.) have the best jobs in Belize.

#196764 - 08 May 11 8:29 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Rigrat]
Anton Offline

Loc: Succotz
There is always a niche market. How many hardware stores are opened on Sunday?

#196792 - 09 May 11 7:39 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
Breezy Offline

Loc: Ladyville
Perez Hardware in Ladyville is!!

#196799 - 09 May 11 8:59 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
jimvicki3 Offline

Loc: Co. Springs, Co./Sittee Point ...
Armed robbery seems to be a good business.

Small investment, big returns..

#196810 - 09 May 11 11:26 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: jimvicki3]
Anton Offline

Loc: Succotz
Originally Posted By: jimvicki3
Armed robbery seems to be a good business.

Small investment, big returns..

There's a big risk though, of the dividends being paid to you in lead.

#196829 - 09 May 11 3:49 pm - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
Coco_Morgan Offline

Loc: Billy White, Cayo
Cayo area has plenty of general hardware stores and none are better than those in Spanish Lookout. A specialty hardware store would be a different story. All electric for example although wiring materials are well covered here in Cayo. Fixtures & fans are limited. I get mine from Overstock.com and ship them. Most stores have a little bit of everything and never the right thing. I'm not positive, but I do believe that most small stores get most of their inventory from one of the biggies like Midwest Steel, Builder's Hardware or Benny's.

Another idea might be a shoe store. Never seen one dedicated to just shoes. Women here, like women most eveywhere love their shoes. And since they're so cheaply made, they soon fall apart.

On the beer front, I talked to one bar owner who said making craft beer should not be a problem at all. He said that one of the Bowen sons (Kevin?) even offered to sell him mash. Another told me that he thought that there was an annual 8,000 gallon limit before heavy taxes applied. Seems to me that the real problems here are willingness to take a chance and having some brewing expertise.

Phil

Page 9 of 16 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
The suspect in the largest gold heist in Florida history has been nabbed