Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195466 - 02 April 11 3:59 pm - America/Chicago Private Schools
LookingatBel Offline

I am considering moving to Belize and the number one question is Private Schools for the children. Is there any way to find out if there are local private schools, what they are like and most importantly how much they cost?

#195470 - 02 April 11 4:32 pm - America/Chicago Re: Private Schools [Re: LookingatBel]
felintuit Offline

Loc: Hummingbird Highway
Try googling it. Costs range depending where you want to locate, but a few years back we were at a school thatcost us 250US per child. Most are glorified home school programs. I have kids ages 5, 7, and 11.

#195471 - 02 April 11 6:40 pm - America/Chicago Re: Private Schools [Re: felintuit]
ConchCr Offline

Loc: San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Bel...
There are a number of well attended private schools in San Pedro. A few I'm familiar with are Island Academy Island Academy site, La Isla Bonita Primary School La Isla Bonita Primary School site
Ambergris Caye Elementary School Ambergris Caye Elementary School Facebook page

They are in no way glorified home school programmes. These are not the only private schools here. It is worth coming to visit, if you are thinking of moving to Ambergris Caye, to check them out and see which one suits you and your children.
Belize Commercial Photography

#195472 - 02 April 11 10:48 pm - America/Chicago Re: Private Schools [Re: ConchCr]
felintuit Offline

Loc: Hummingbird Highway
Okay I will concede a bit. But most offering a US based curriculum are using home schooling books and materials. I have not seen one that isn't using either the full set or mix and match for teaching to a US standard in my area. The US embassy is authorizing a school they considered top knotch and they use a home school system.

My kids were in private school before coming and the education level at the private schools is about what you would see at the public sector in the states.

#195477 - 03 April 11 6:47 am - America/Chicago Re: Private Schools [Re: felintuit]
ConchCr Offline

Loc: San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Bel...
Without wishing to sound disrespectful, the inquiry was not about a US based curriculum or any other country's curriculum. It was about private schools in Belize. I don't think expats from other countries can expect that schools in a foreign country will meet their specific country's academic standards, wherever they are from. If they are lucky enough to come from a community that has decided to provide a school following their home country's curriculum, that is great, but I wouldn't set the USA standard as the international bar for quality academics - nor would I set any country's. This is Belize and almost all schools teach the Belize national curriculum, as they should. The school system seems adequate for those going abroad to study. I've been told by some expats (from the USA) that their children,when returning to school in the USA, were considered academically advanced after attending school in Belize.

I want to add that I have Belizean friends, who attended village church schools in Belize, who have qualified for and excelled at USA Universities, going on to post graduate level.

Edited by ConchCr (03 April 11 6:50 am - America/Chicago)
Belize Commercial Photography

#195481 - 03 April 11 10:29 am - America/Chicago Re: Private Schools [Re: ConchCr]
LookingatBel Offline

Any private education in the world has to better the US public. Thank you very much for the information, I really didn't have any idea and that was one of the top ten issues.

Cool homepage ConchCr, nice photos.

#195489 - 03 April 11 3:04 pm - America/Chicago Re: Private Schools [Re: LookingatBel]
Una Companera Offline

Loc: ATX
It seems pompous to complain about FREE education that is paid for by other people's tax dollar. Children in many countries don't have such opportunities for schooling and would feel privileged to be able to attend school.

#195506 - 04 April 11 2:24 pm - America/Chicago Re: Private Schools [Re: Una Companera]
LookingatBel Offline

Well actually it isn't free, I pay taxes myself and will be still be paying in the highest tax bracket in the US even while living in Belize. Last time I checked US Public had one of the worst standardized test scores out of all the Industrialized Nations, it is a mater compairison shopping and American Schools can't compete with private education. Finally I am fairly certain that 99% of all parents in the world would if they had the opportunity send their children to the best schools possible. It is human nature to want the best for your kids.

#195508 - 04 April 11 2:39 pm - America/Chicago Re: Private Schools [Re: LookingatBel]
CTscuba Offline

If your child(ren)'s education is that important, you need to move to where the best schools are located. Public or private, that isn't Belize.

#195509 - 04 April 11 3:05 pm - America/Chicago Re: Private Schools [Re: CTscuba]
ckocian Online   content

Loc: San Antonio TX USA and Seine B...
I believe in the US it's in Massachusetts. I have four public-school-educated kids all of whom graduated from top universities about 10 + years ago and all are gainfully employed and worldly, to boot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
by ginandtonic
04:52 AM
2 acre waterfront estate for sale
by thecol
09:26 AM
Iguana Creek bridge
by windyg
08:13 AM
Riversdale
by wingnut1970
29 October 14 11:11 pm - America/Chicago
GoFundMe campaign for Belize baby
by ckocian
29 October 14 4:04 pm - America/Chicago
Octavia Waight Center.
by April05
29 October 14 3:20 pm - America/Chicago
Leaving a vehicle in Belize
by britinbelize
29 October 14 2:24 pm - America/Chicago
Anyone aware of the Ara Macao development in Placencia area?
by thecol
29 October 14 1:14 pm - America/Chicago
Murder of Patricia Nichiporowich remains unsolved one year later
by corozal dave
29 October 14 10:30 am - America/Chicago
Quarantine
by kanela
29 October 14 7:32 am - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE

BookBelize.com | Belizespecials.com | Belize.net | Belizenet.com