Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195276 - 28 March 11 5:14 pm - America/Chicago Harley Davidson in Belize City
catdance62 Offline

Loc: Texarkana USA
SO, a few months back a Harley-Davidson shop opened in Belize City. I really wondered who would be buying such expensive motorcycles in Belize often enough to support the shop. Then I saw some pics of the inside and it looks like mostly T-shirts and memorabilia, not too many motorcycles (one was pictured). Is it near the cruise ship visitor area? If so maybe that is their target clientele, like the one I saw in San Juan, Puerto Rico. (however, in PR there is more than one shop). Or am I completely off the mark?

#195278 - 28 March 11 5:26 pm - America/Chicago Re: Harley Davidson in Belize City [Re: catdance62]
Barnacle Online   confused

Loc: Maya Beach,
don't know,, but one went down the peninsula today, a dresser. didn't look to be newer than '98 or so,,,

#195282 - 28 March 11 6:51 pm - America/Chicago Re: Harley Davidson in Belize City [Re: Barnacle]
catdance62 Offline

there are so few roads I would ride a Harley on in Belize, I don't know why someone would take one there, but to each his own!

#195283 - 28 March 11 6:51 pm - America/Chicago Re: Harley Davidson in Belize City [Re: catdance62]
zappy Offline

Loc: Saskamatoon, Canuckistan
There are quite a few Harley Dealers scattered around Central America, and the Caribbean. Some are full Dealerships, and some are glorified T-shirt salesmen. Harley Riders have an affinity for T-shirts with the name of a dealer where they have visited. So odd places can sell T-shirts to the biker tourist for "silly" money, and make good coin.

I think that the Harley Davidson shop in Belize City, would be like the one on 5th Ave in Playa del Carmen (more the T-shirt crowd)... However the market may grow to the point someday...?

You mention Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico has a large, vibrant group of Harley Enthusiasts. There are a lot of cool Sportsters all done up. That to me would make a great "belize bike" too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeGm1rtbseQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPSU8uMiVJ0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD3oj9A5bFg

Sam Levenson - Author

#195294 - 29 March 11 3:43 am - America/Chicago Re: Harley Davidson in Belize City [Re: zappy]
catdance62 Offline

THat's cool, Zappy. That's what I figured about the shop in Belize.

#195326 - 29 March 11 5:44 pm - America/Chicago Re: Harley Davidson in Belize City [Re: catdance62]
BelizeBritts Offline

I know the gentleman who opened this shop and he is no fool. Obviously, with the cruise ship location, they will be selling Harley gear but "glorified t-shirt salesman" might be a little simplistic. In addition to a growing line of bikes, including rentals, they are also a rallying point for the like-minded, organizing group rides and events. I suspect you will be seeing more bikes around and Black Pearl Harley Davidson will be bringing them in.

#195330 - 29 March 11 6:22 pm - America/Chicago Re: Harley Davidson in Belize City [Re: BelizeBritts]
catdance62 Offline

If they can make it, good for them!
but wow, I'll bet it is expensive to rent a Harley in Belize

#195336 - 29 March 11 8:38 pm - America/Chicago Re: Harley Davidson in Belize City [Re: catdance62]
turtle2 Offline

I am a Harley rider and find it funny that every year when I receive my atlas from HOG, that it shows that the dealership in Belize is a fully operational one, sells bikes, repairs etc. This is for the past four to five years, but I do agree with BelizeBritts that the gentleman who opened the shop is no fool.

#195342 - 30 March 11 1:03 am - America/Chicago Re: Harley Davidson in Belize City [Re: turtle2]
Rigrat Offline

Loc: Belmopan
Many years ago, 1978 I think, I had a Harley (electra glide) in Dubai. I don't know whether it was the final assembly out of the box, or whether it was the quality of manufacture, but it was an absolute dog. The dealer went bust before any of these bikes were sold, and so were assembled by 'the liquidators' and sold off cheap. All of them that were imported to Dubai changed hands very rapidly until no one would touch them with a bargepole.
Since then, I think things have improved, although I don't think that Belize has too may roads that are particularly suited to Fat Boys and various other models. Still a group of Harley's trundling down the Hummingbird and perhaps down the Southern Highway might be quite a sight to see, and good fun to take part I would think.

Belize Wildlife Hotline--- For advice and reporting wildlife incidents
BTL: 0800 822 8888 --- SMART: 822 8888
Or 605 8888

#195344 - 30 March 11 3:54 am - America/Chicago Re: Harley Davidson in Belize City [Re: Rigrat]
catdance62 Offline

Plus, in the 70's all the Harleys were AMF products, AMF having bought out H-D in the early 70's (or maybe '69?). All the AMF Harleys were real dogs. In 1981 the Daivdson family bought the company back from AMF. Things have improved since then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Top 10 murder cities
by thecol
Anyone coming to SP in the next week or two?
by Wizardofaahs
Blackbeard's Beach Bar & El Fogon de Francesca at Cerros Sands
by GZboat
09:22 AM
Hughesnet Satellite Internet System
by jp50655
05:24 AM
Any good ideas for sending money?
by Jenine
05:19 PM
La Isla Bonita Telenovela
by Wizardofaahs