Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192113 - 27 January 11 11:31 am - America/Chicago What would be a great business in Belize that is needed????
Country Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hello all again.... I know a few gave me your opinion in my welcome string, But I thought I would put it in the correct place.

What would be some great businesses in Belize that they really need????

I was told that property management would be a good one.

I am a jack of all trades and have most ofmy own equipment --everything from carpentry, welding, Plubming, electrical, to running big equipment and specializing in moving big objects. I am also a chef by hobbie and have done private dinners for big parties and such....

So I am just looking for your perception on what is needed, so that when I visit I can look at that market while I am visiting.

Thanks again....

#192115 - 27 January 11 11:49 am - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
LanSluder Offline

Loc: USA/Belize
I'd think about it this way:

What businesses would a city of 30,000 or 35,000 people in the U.S. or Canada need? That's in effect the size of the entire Belize economy in terms of buying power.

Keep in mind that per capita GDP (in effect, spending power) in Belize is about one-tenth of that in the U.S. However, the population is spread out over an area the size of Massachusetts, not in a small urbanized area.

US$125 a week is a "decent" salary in Belize, often for a six-day week. This means that for most people there is little disposable income after the basics of food and shelter are taken care of.

The IMF says unemployment in Belize is near 13% (the CIA number is lower). However, if "true" unemployment in the U.S. including those who are under-employed or work just part time but would like to work full-time is 16 or 17%, then in Belize it is probably 35% or higher. A surprising number people in Belize outside the cities and towns have never held a job working for someone else in their lives.

Unless your target market is the affluent few in Belize, such as larger business owners, attorneys and better off expatriates in Belize, or to tourists, most businesses in Belize necessarily focus on essentials -- food, drink, inexpensive clothing, household goods, bus transport, medicine, basic building supplies, that sort of thing.

--Lan Sluder

#192118 - 27 January 11 1:42 pm - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: LanSluder]
Country Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks Lansluder....That is a great start...I am very familar with the wages and the amount of people who are able to pay for any kind of service...That is one of the things that attracts me to Belize is the fact there may be bartering for services at times. I am not a person who would be above taking a couple of chickens for something that a person needed done from my service...

But thanks again for the info...

#192128 - 27 January 11 5:05 pm - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
2012_Level_9 Offline

Loc: Some Place in Belize
I don't know the law with regard to work permits, but you have to look into that in detail. It sounds like you want to do the work, not hire a local to do the work. That means work permit, and maybe somebody here will read this and point you in the right direction. I think you'll have to prove that you're working at something that a Belizean can't also do.

But if you want to open a store, and are not going to be working the cash register or stocking shelves, then it's probably going to be fine.

#192131 - 27 January 11 5:26 pm - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
flyfisherman Offline

Hi Country,
Check your PM's, click on your user name.
Don't worry about work permit, I'll fill you in about that.

#192132 - 27 January 11 5:33 pm - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: Country]
felintuit Offline

Loc: Hummingbird Highway
Here are a few options. 1 being able to minor rig weld is something not a lot of people here do, especially in the villages or rural areas. 2 the rest of your skills are good to be able to share or teach to those looking to learn a trade. 3 you can usually double your money on any food items, but you will piss off the locals.

The things that make the most money are alcohol and women. There is a huge market here and it is common for most of the men, not all, to spend their money having a few drinks before heading home to provide for the family.

I can tell you that if you had a degree in psychology or were has a certificate in life coaching, it would be gold. Offering an emotional support system for expats would take time, but I would bet it would be a money maker without a doubt. They have one psychologist here.

#192142 - 27 January 11 8:17 pm - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: felintuit]
BlmopnGringo Offline

Loc: NJ & Belmopan
Originally Posted By: felintuit
They have one psychologist here.

True, but they have a lot of bartenders.

#192143 - 27 January 11 8:38 pm - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: felintuit]
zappy Offline

Loc: Saskamatoon, Canuckistan
Quote:
a certificate in life coaching, it would be gold. Offering an emotional support system for expats

A comedic playright would have a "field day" with this scenario, and maybe make some money.

Sam Levenson - Author

#192147 - 27 January 11 9:11 pm - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: zappy]
lee100 Offline

Loc: Belize/Taiwan
for once i totally agrees with lan: the essentials is where the money is at.

a lot of people come to belize thinking "gee they don't have x here, if i sell x i'd make a lot of money".. people like that usually get burned, bad.

#192150 - 27 January 11 9:29 pm - America/Chicago Re: What would be a great business in Belize that is needed???? [Re: lee100]
BlmopnGringo Offline

Loc: NJ & Belmopan
Lee

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree with you more. There is not a single snowmobile repair mechanic in the whole country. Someone with those skills could corner the snowmobile repair market for the entire country.

Edited by BlmopnGringo (27 January 11 9:31 pm - America/Chicago)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Anonymous Message to Belize
by thecol
7 minutes 23 seconds ago
Lou Gehrig’s disease.
by britinbelize
Yesterday at 03:39 PM
Trumpet trees
by britinbelize
Yesterday at 01:13 PM
Hughesnet Satellite Internet System
by jp50655
Yesterday at 07:19 AM
Transmigrante or Tourist
by JohnP
Yesterday at 06:19 AM
Newbie Visitor Alert!
by ginandtonic
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
Using Sheetrock in belize
by April05
28 August 14 4:53 pm - America/Chicago
Cell phone rental?
by D InTheShade
27 August 14 3:46 pm - America/Chicago
Houston Zoo helping Wildtracks
by britinbelize
27 August 14 10:59 am - America/Chicago
Is Belize still a safe country to visit?
by thecol
27 August 14 4:45 am - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE

BookBelize.com | Belizespecials.com | Belize.net | Belizenet.com