Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189254 - 09 December 10 5:42 am - America/Chicago Online Fishing license ****
alaskatony Offline

Loc: Alaska/ HOPKINS
Hi all. Just to let everyone know that people can purchase online fishing licenses, now required even if you are on a boat that has anyone fishing on it. The licenses are reasonable and I urge everyone ot get one that fishes here. You can do it before you come or have your tour operator/fishing guide do it for you.
Here is a link http://www.coastalzonebelize.org/

I found it interesting that on thier page annoucing the interactive site, the Coastam Management team cited "great vision and foresight" in the online licensing process, but it was only after they implemented the license laws, that had a person needing to go to Belize City in person even for a day license, and the constant badgering of fishing tour operators like myself that finally urged them into such vision and foresight....cheers and tight lines all!
www.chefinbelize.blogspot.com
See the happenings in Hopkins on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=155603672170

#189255 - 09 December 10 5:43 am - America/Chicago Re: Online Fishing license [Re: alaskatony]
alaskatony Offline

Loc: Alaska/ HOPKINS
Forgot to say
1 day license= $10US
1 week= $25US
A very fair price as far as non resident licenses go.
www.chefinbelize.blogspot.com
See the happenings in Hopkins on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=155603672170

#189267 - 09 December 10 11:03 am - America/Chicago Re: Online Fishing license [Re: alaskatony]
Chiefsipes Offline

Loc: Mansfield, AR USA
You're required to purchase a lincense even if you aren't fishing? Who's braindead idea was that?

#189268 - 09 December 10 11:21 am - America/Chicago Re: Online Fishing license [Re: Chiefsipes]
chris45 Offline

Loc: Belmopn
Have to correct the statement that non-fishermen on a boat have to have a license. This particular clause WAS in the original Statutary Instrument, but in their press release last March CZMAI announced this reqirement was being deleted.
I fyou check back on this forum you will see the full text of the press release.

#189269 - 09 December 10 11:29 am - America/Chicago Re: Online Fishing license [Re: chris45]
Anton Offline

Loc: Succotz
How many fishing poles per license?

#189272 - 09 December 10 12:54 pm - America/Chicago Re: Online Fishing license [Re: Anton]
chris45 Offline

The license licenses a named fisherman, not his equipment.

#189274 - 09 December 10 1:25 pm - America/Chicago Re: Online Fishing license [Re: chris45]
Anton Offline

Loc: Succotz
Right, but if I'm on a boat with 4 fishing poles and there are 4 guys more or less is it believable that I'm the only one fishing?

#189275 - 09 December 10 2:52 pm - America/Chicago Re: Online Fishing license [Re: chris45]
thyme 2 go slow Offline

Off topic, but I couldn't resist with two guys here operating fishing tours in southern Belize.

I'm wondering how frequently and what numbers of Lion fish are being encountered by your guides in Hopkins and Monkey River area? On the AC board they are writing the Lion fish are becoming much larger in size now, have monthly contests and have recorded a number months with over 300 fish being speared.
Is it time for south Belize to launch it's attack, or are they already doing this?

Lionfish taste like grouper, thyme has come to see them on the menu boards as a special. tourists and residents can both fill their bellies and help save the reef.

#189278 - 09 December 10 3:40 pm - America/Chicago Re: Online Fishing license [Re: Anton]
chris45 Offline

Anton: I see your point. That would have to be the judgement of the patrol vessel I would think. Four guys with four rods? I would be suspicious, but if they got ticketed, and went to court don't forget the patrol commander would have to PROVE they were fishing or intending to fish. That would not be easy.
In practice I don't think this would happen very often. if there were four guys on a boat I would be surprised if they wouldn't normally have licenses.
The problem with licensing rods is that many fishermen go to see with multiple rods for different fishing situations. Personally I always have four or five rods with me (30lb trolling, 15lb trolling, a light bait rod for bonefish and probably a tuna stick. Separate licenses would get pricy!

#189279 - 09 December 10 3:46 pm - America/Chicago Re: Online Fishing license [Re: thyme 2 go slow]
chris45 Offline

Interesting question, Thyme. We have not had a single one landed in Monkey River yet, nor do I know anyone who has caught a lion fish in this area. We know from the lobster divers that they are around, but subjectively, it would appear not in great numbers.
Problem for us is that it seems to be mainly reef divers and spear fishermen who catch them. We don't have many of either in Monkey River.
Lion fish ARE a serious threat clearly. I believe we are having a meeting about them sometime soon to promote awareness. Do you know if they can be caught on rod and line?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Beachfront Wanted for Potential Resort
by bubblebreaker
05:37 AM
Belize Added to US Drug Blacklist / Belize's High Murder Rates
by bubblebreaker
11:01 AM
BREAKING: Carnival Cruise Passengers Flagged For Ebola
by bubblebreaker
10:08 AM
BAGA
by April05
19 October 14 11:40 am - America/Chicago
A critical look at expats in belize
by thecol
19 October 14 10:50 am - America/Chicago
has anyone here actually gone to belize to retire....
by thecol
19 October 14 10:45 am - America/Chicago
Mental Health services
by KatieValk
19 October 14 7:20 am - America/Chicago
New Recipe Mayv=be?
by April05
18 October 14 12:01 pm - America/Chicago
Furnished 3-Bedroom upper flat
by mcagun
17 October 14 6:05 am - America/Chicago
Looking for Condo/House San Pedro