Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182056 - 30 August 10 5:42 am - America/Chicago hunting season
Sandy_Paper Offline

Loc: belize
is there a specific time of year to hunt game? is it different for different species? what is legal to take? are there license requirements? thanks.

i really don't mean to be abrasive

#182074 - 30 August 10 7:29 am - America/Chicago Re: hunting season [Re: Sandy_Paper]
Rock Raiser Offline

Loc: Belmopan
Yes you need a hunting license.
Start off by reading this?
www.belizelaw.org/lawadmin/PDF%20files/cap220.pdf

#182107 - 30 August 10 5:57 pm - America/Chicago Re: hunting season [Re: Rock Raiser]
Sandy_Paper Offline

thanks, i think, rock raiser. i have previously read that link and remain confused. i was hopeful someone had personal experience.

#182111 - 30 August 10 8:48 pm - America/Chicago Re: hunting season [Re: Sandy_Paper]
Rigrat Offline

I hope this helps......

Basically the hunting of all Belizean wildlife on listed in Section 3 of the Belizean Wildlife Protection Act is prohibited. Wildlife Protection Act
You may, at the moment hunt the following species if you have both a hunting permit (issued by the Police) as well as a Game Permit (issued by the Forestry department)
Deer
Peccary
Agouti
Gibnut
Iguana
Certain birds as listed on Section 3 are allowed to be hunted.
It is illegal at all times to hunt any animal when accompanied by it's young. It is illegal to hunt any immature specimens of any species. (This includes eggs of any description from any bird or reptile)

There is a closed season for deer and birds as listed below

1. These Regulations may be cited as the

WILDLIFE PROTECTION REGULATIONS.

2. The killing of deer or antelope with a view to the sale of the meat is prohibited from the 1st July of each year to the 30th September of the same year in the case of males and to the last day of February of the following year in
the case of females.
3. The close season of the hunting of any bird specified in the Fourth Schedule to the Wildlife Protection Act, shall be from the 1st February to the15th July in each year.
4. The use of any artificial light to facilitate the shooting of any animal is prohibited.
5. The use in hunting fish of any substance locally know as “fish poison” is prohibited.
6. (1) Applications for licences under the Wildlife Protection Act shall be made to the Game Warden who may at his discretion issue a licence on payment of the following fees:
A Dealer’s Licence .................................. $2,000.00
A Visiting-hunter Licence ......................... $ 100.00
A Local-hunter Licence ............................ $ 10.00
An Annual Game Licence-
To Nationals ................................ $ 500.00
To Others .................................... $1,000.00

Wildlife Protection Act Addendum

It should be mentioned that these laws are being superseded with the new draft law going before the house at the moment. This brings in closed seasons for a much longer time for deer, hunting white lipped peccary will be banned. Also there will be a closed season bought in to force for the first time for collared peccary, Agouti, Gibnut, and Iguana. Hunting of Guan will also be banned totally.

It is also likely that there will be a moratorium declared on all hunting for a period of five years or until such a time as sufficient studies have been completed to ensure the future viability of Belizean Wildlife in the future. Illegal and indiscriminate hunting has taken a massive toll on Belizean wildlife due to total lack of control and supervision. Whilst responsible hunting does improve the stock, the wide scale slaughter being carried on at present is totally unsustainable, and I fully support the five year moratorium that will make it easy for any policeman, soldier, or game ranger to stop and question anyone carrying a hunting weapon whilst not on their own property.
The new laws carry draconian penalties for illegal hunting with fines up to BZ$30,000 for first offence.

Edited by Rigrat (30 August 10 9:02 pm - America/Chicago)

Belize Wildlife Hotline--- For advice and reporting wildlife incidents
BTL: 0800 822 8888 --- SMART: 822 8888
Or 605 8888

#182112 - 30 August 10 9:31 pm - America/Chicago Re: hunting season [Re: Rigrat]
southbeach Offline

Loc: 3rd rock
Rigrat: "a moratorium declared on all hunting for a period of five years or until such a time as sufficient studies have been completed"

Does that mean a moratorium on ALL hunting? or just for people who hunt to sell game meats?

"Carrying hunting weapon whhilst not on their own property" Does that provide that one can hunt for food on their own property?

A complete moritorium on harvesting deer, gibnut and a few other species will place a hardship on many families who need that supplemental meat to put food on the table.

Ps: I don't hunt and don't know anyone in my area who hunts to sell game meat. Many in my area don't have refrigeration and only hunt as much as their family or an elderly neighbor or two can eat before the meat spoils.

If you are short on deer in your area, I'd be glad for you to come capture some for relocation because they frequently devastate our melon, pumpkin and squash crops.

#182113 - 30 August 10 10:31 pm - America/Chicago Re: hunting season [Re: southbeach]
Chiefsipes Offline

Loc: Mansfield, AR USA
A 5 year moratorium will give them plenty of time to get their act together and institute an actual viable hunting program. At least they seem to realize that responsible hunting will improve the stock.

Why has it taken so long for them to come to this conclusion? It may be a third world country, but they're not stupid. I assume?

#182114 - 30 August 10 11:31 pm - America/Chicago Re: hunting season [Re: Chiefsipes]
sigmund Offline

Loc: corozal
Very generous of you to "assume" that "third world" Belizeans are not "stupid".

Edited by sigmund (30 August 10 11:35 pm - America/Chicago)

#182120 - 31 August 10 4:17 am - America/Chicago Re: hunting season [Re: southbeach]
Rigrat Offline

Originally Posted By: southbeach

Does that mean a moratorium on ALL hunting? or just for people who hunt to sell game meats?

The moratorium will be for all hunting regardless of end use. It will also put severe restrictions on farmers shooting wildlife on their own land for damaging crops. Such shooting will only be allowed where severe and repeated damage can be proven

"Carrying hunting weapon whilst not on their own property" Does that provide that one can hunt for food on their own property?

No. It will be illegal throughout Belize to hunt anything should the moratorium be approved

A complete moritorium on harvesting deer, gibnut and a few other species will place a hardship on many families who need that supplemental meat to put food on the table.

This is recognised, but also the unrestricted hunting by many families to put meat on the table is the prime cause of the severe decline being seen all over Belize of key species. It is also recognised by the government that putting meat on the table is not necessary to maintain health, and in many cases may be detrimental to such. It is also recognised that you can get several chicken chicks for the price of a shotgun shell
If you are short on deer in your area, I'd be glad for you to come capture some for relocation because they frequently devastate our melon, pumpkin and squash crops.

Local perceived abundance of prey species around human habitation is often seen as a pointer to the onset of sudden decline in a species. Some species are safer around habitation where discharging weapons is illegal, availability of mates draws the other members of the species to these areas, when all other options in the surrounding areas have been hunted out. Traps are more often stolen or dismantled in these areas, as well as people becoming attached to localised wildlife and protecting them. Also top predators are often eradicated around these areas due to perceived danger of predation of domestic livestock, and family pets, as well as perceived danger of human predation by such large predators such as Jaguar.
Trash as well as deliberate placement of food also draws these animals into these habitats. Species become isolated in pockets and genetic diversity plummets. The planting of food crops near to human habitation reinforces the desirability of wildlife living on the periphery to move closer in all of the time.
Just because there seems to be plenty around you doesn't mean that there is plenty of them left. All studies of game animals in the last few years show alarming declines in numbers.

Or 605 8888

#182121 - 31 August 10 4:30 am - America/Chicago Re: hunting season [Re: Chiefsipes]
Rigrat Offline

Originally Posted By: Chiefsipes

Why has it taken so long for them to come to this conclusion? It may be a third world country, but they're not stupid. I assume?

The reasons are manifold. None of it is down to stupidity.

My guess would be a lack of money and a lack of knowledge, and lack of will; exacerbated by a lack of meaningful studies.
We can take the Amazona Oratrix for instance. Last study in 1994 showed a ninety percent decline in numbers from 1974. Only 7,000 left. Estimates are now that there are only a few hundred left today. But very hard to do a study when every single chick in studies over the past two years was poached before it was two weeks old.
Lack of money in forestry is chronic. At the moment there is not a single enforcement officer as Andre Lopez has just quit.
The department has almost no working vehicles and we have to loan them ours so regularly, that we should just park it there.

Then there is the lack of will. Hunting, and eating game is often seen as a cultural thing. Iguana egg sucking competitions is illegal right now but widespread. Nobody wants to go out and arrest their uncle for engaging in cultural pursuits.

Or 605 8888

#182122 - 31 August 10 5:28 am - America/Chicago Re: hunting season [Re: Rigrat]
Sandy_Paper Offline

thank you rig; that takes away some of the speculation. and thank you, too, southbeach for showing me that i am not alone in trying to understand the wording of the document.

i was offered some venison and before accepting, i wanted to know the legality of it [this time of year.]

if deer are a nuisance now, i can just imagine what a five year moritorium on hunting them will produce.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Belize Added to US Drug Blacklist / Belize's High Murder Rates
by Peggyrose
02:07 AM
BAGA
by April05
11:40 AM
A critical look at expats in belize
by thecol
10:50 AM
BREAKING: Carnival Cruise Passengers Flagged For Ebola
by thecol
10:48 AM
has anyone here actually gone to belize to retire....
by thecol
10:45 AM
Mental Health services
by KatieValk
07:20 AM
Beachfront Wanted for Potential Resort
by jstewartpa
18 October 14 4:14 pm - America/Chicago
New Recipe Mayv=be?
by April05
18 October 14 12:01 pm - America/Chicago
Furnished 3-Bedroom upper flat