Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162997 - 04 September 09 8:28 am - America/Chicago Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw
Sindy1232 Offline

Loc: UT
I have found many recipes for Rice and Beans but so far none that have turned out very good. Does anyone have a good recipe, prefer using coconut milk?

I usually hate Cole Slaw but in Belize I fell in love with it!! It was totally different then any of the overly mayonnaise Cole Slaw in the states. The slaw at Caves Branch Lodge was just fantastic but I forgot to talk to the cook. lol. Does anyone have a good recipe for this as well?

#162999 - 04 September 09 9:21 am - America/Chicago Re: Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw [Re: Sindy1232]
Barnacle Offline

Loc: Maya Beach,
i'm with you on the cloeslaw thing. i like it here as well.
i found alot of folks use HEINZ SALAD CREAM for their slaw.
it's british but sure it's available in the states.
i realy like it and make lots of slaw now.

#163013 - 04 September 09 1:20 pm - America/Chicago Re: Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw [Re: Barnacle]
bz_city49 Offline

Loc: belize city
Some say I cheat on my rice and beans, but I cook my beans one day and add them to rice the next day.

I soak my beans for several hours, pour off the water and cook them in a pressure pot adding nothing more than a few whole carrots and lots of diced garlic. About 10 mins gets the beans done under pressure, and then I add salt to taste after they've cooked. First day I serve them as stew beans over rice with carrot as a side vegetable. I use fresh coconut oil to get the nice flavor and aroma for the rice.

Next day I put left over beans in to cook with rice with coconut oil --cooking over an open fire gives the best flavor.

The soaking, carrots and garlic seem to eliminate problems of wind from the beans.

Some cooks say I cheat but I never had any complaints when they eat my stew beans or riceandbeans.

#163015 - 04 September 09 3:51 pm - America/Chicago Re: Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw [Re: bz_city49]
BigBert Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Yes... here it is.
Ingredients:
1 lb dry Red Beans
2 lb cleaned rice
3 or 4 cloves garlic (to taste)
1 can coconut milk
salt&pepper to taste
1/2 tsp thyme
1 medium onion

Wash beans & soak 4 hours.Boil beans until tender, along with garlic, onions and seasoning.(about 2 hours I think)
Once beans are cooked, add coconut milk, and enough water to make 8 total cups of liquid. I use a colander to drain the juice from the beans, so I get the amount of water just right. I then put the beans & liquid back into the pot, and bring to a boil. Then add rice, stirring slowly. Once it's all mixed, let it come to a boil, and then turn the fire WAY down, till it barely simmers. Then leave it alone. If you worry over it and stir it like I did the first try, it turns to lumpy glue!
That's it. once the water is all absorbed, the rice SHOULD be tender. Serve it up with some stew chicken and Marie Sharp's, and enjoy.

We freeze leftovers in smaller containers, and zap in microwave anytime, for some Belizean memories.

Maybe I'll post my stew chicken recipe soon. It's great, and I just found a secret source for "Recado", a special seasoning! It's coming in the mail, and I'll try it as soon as I can.

I'll look forward to cole slaw recipes. I love slaw of all varieties, and need more recipes.

#163020 - 04 September 09 6:04 pm - America/Chicago Re: Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw [Re: BigBert]
Sindy1232 Offline

Loc: UT
Barnacle... How do you make your slaw??

Big Bert.... Stewed Chicken recipe please!!!

I am going to try both the beans and rice recipes this weekend and see which one lasts the longest at my house. I will let you know!!

#163027 - 05 September 09 1:51 am - America/Chicago Re: Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw [Re: Sindy1232]
kcbc Offline

Loc: Florida
Heinz Salad Cream is one of the items that I bring back to the states from Belize. Also used in Belize potatoe salad.
However the cost here is terrible. I use to get it in case from a British Importer but finally one of the local grocery stores started carrying the product. Last time I purchased some the price was more than $5 US for a small bottle.

#163028 - 05 September 09 1:56 am - America/Chicago Re: Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw [Re: kcbc]
kcbc Offline

Loc: Florida
Forgot to add that I also bring back recado.
I did find recado at the TEXMEX store and it was okay but still not exactly what the Belize recado is like.

I did spend one Saturday visitng every Hispanic store in my part of town looking for recado. Even had my plastic bag with me to show. Was totally unsucessful in finding the product. Right now I think that I have four "reds" in the freezer and one "black".

#163038 - 05 September 09 7:44 am - America/Chicago Re: Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw [Re: kcbc]
my3sons Offline

Loc: Florida/PG wannabe
my stew chicken recipe (made with things that I can get in Fl.) Chicken, I use thighs with skin removed, salt and pepper. Heat 1/4 cup oil in skillet with 2 tbsp sugar, heating until sugar carmelizes. Then add chicken, browning on both sides, remove from skillet and set aside. Brown 1 chopped bell pepper and 1 med onion and chopped garlic, to taste. Add chicken back to oinons and peppers, sprinkle with tbsp of cumin. Cover with 1 cup of water, mixed with 1-2 tbsp of cider vinegar and 1-2 tbsp of worchestershire sauce. Cover skillet and simmer 20-30 min, or until chicken is tender. Yum, Yum!!!

#163041 - 05 September 09 8:48 am - America/Chicago Re: Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw [Re: my3sons]
Barnacle Offline

Loc: Maya Beach,
my slaw recipe probably don't even count as a recipe.
shredded up cabbage and carrots
hienz salad cream
salt pepper
sometimes if i feel froggy, some onion and green pepper.
mix

#163070 - 05 September 09 7:36 pm - America/Chicago Re: Looking for a good recipe for Rice & Beans and Cole Slaw [Re: Barnacle]
PEPPERD2 Offline

Loc: TEXAS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts