Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161714 - 11 August 09 9:37 pm - America/Chicago Cost of Domestic Help
Reilly Offline

Loc: Carolinas, USA
If one hires a local cook, what is the going monthly wage? Is it expected that the employer provide housing for the employee?

#161718 - 11 August 09 10:50 pm - America/Chicago Re: Cost of Domestic Help [Re: Reilly]
felintuit Offline

Loc: Hummingbird Highway
Usually it depends on the service they provide. Some get 20 bz a day for the first week and then usually kick it up after you have had the chance to sample what they will do. Some up to 35 a day for really good service, all house hold cooking/cleaning laundry etc. You do have to pay SS on them so make sure they have a card.

#161719 - 12 August 09 1:26 am - America/Chicago Re: Cost of Domestic Help [Re: felintuit]
heatseeker Offline

If you were paying someone $30bz/day, how much SS do you pay on that? Is that on top of the $30.00 or is it taken out of the 30.00?

#161723 - 12 August 09 5:20 am - America/Chicago Re: Cost of Domestic Help [Re: heatseeker]
winjama Offline

Loc: Corozal Town, Belize
There is an employer and an employee contribution. They're determined by weekly or monthly earnings.
For example, if your employee earns $30 per day x 5 = $150, the employee contribution is $3.15, the employer contribution is $9.65.
Some employers simply pay both parts to keep things easier.
The amounts are determined by pay ranges. Dept. of Social Security will provide you the schedules, pay periods, forms and all the help you need. In fact, I have found them to be the most professional of any GOB agency I have dealt with.

#161732 - 12 August 09 8:18 am - America/Chicago Re: Cost of Domestic Help [Re: winjama]
ambergrishog Offline

Loc: Texas
You will just need to confirm that your new employee in fact has a social security card. You will also need to make monthly filings that are pretty painless. A link to the withholding tables. http://www.socialsecurity.org.bz/contribution_pay_employ.htm

#161770 - 12 August 09 3:10 pm - America/Chicago Re: Cost of Domestic Help [Re: ambergrishog]
winjama Offline

Loc: Corozal Town, Belize
Thanks ambergrishog. I didn't even know that was on the 'tubes. And, it's current info as well.

#161781 - 12 August 09 5:34 pm - America/Chicago Re: Cost of Domestic Help [Re: winjama]
Miss Kenni Offline

Loc: Jupiter, FL & Sta. Elena, Cayo
In Cayo, if you can navigate Excel, you can do all your filings online. You can also pay online with an Atlantic bank account (probably the other banks as well, but I don't know for sure). The Cayo office has even assisted me through 2 injury claims for my caretaker, and with their help all got handled even with me in Florida at the time. Kenni

#161786 - 12 August 09 6:46 pm - America/Chicago Re: Cost of Domestic Help [Re: Reilly]
felintuit Offline

Loc: Hummingbird Highway
They are definitely helpful, they usually fill out our paperwork for us when we go in. Also, there is a late fee of a dollar a week or maybe it is a month can't remember. So when we are out of town for a few months it is nothing to paying when we get back. We had an employee get hurt and they were very helpful as well.

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Top 10 murder cities
by britinbelize
Anyone coming to SP in the next week or two?
by Wizardofaahs
11:07 AM
Blackbeard's Beach Bar & El Fogon de Francesca at Cerros Sands
by GZboat
09:22 AM
Hughesnet Satellite Internet System
by jp50655
05:24 AM
Any good ideas for sending money?
by Jenine
05:19 PM
La Isla Bonita Telenovela