Caye Caulker
Northern Belize
Belize District
Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157725 - 04 June 09 9:18 pm - America/Chicago Shipping company from Houston???
tinkerbell Offline

My family and I will be moving in July to Belize. We have contacted a shipping company in Belize to obtain a quote and all the details to rent a 20ft container for our household goods. After 2 weeks of calling and e-mailing we actually spoke to someone who said they would e-mail us a quote quickly. Two weeks later, we still have not heard anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a company that will help us ship our container from Houston to Belize?

Thanks for your help in advance grin

#157727 - 04 June 09 9:54 pm - America/Chicago Re: Shipping company from Houston??? [Re: tinkerbell]
Moonracer Offline

Loc: Cayo
Sterling Freight is who we have used in the past (just received a small generator and accessories today). The contact is Dan, email is sterlingfreight@btl.net. Address is P.O. Box 64, San Ignacio, Cayo District, Belize. Phone is 011-501-824-2496.

They ship from Houston. Hope this helps.

#157737 - 05 June 09 9:54 am - America/Chicago Re: Shipping company from Houston??? [Re: Moonracer]
tinkerbell Offline

We are having a hard time getting our quote from Dan at Sterling. I'm afraid we are going to run out of time and I hate to continue contacting him.

Any other suggestions from Houston?

#157750 - 05 June 09 2:56 pm - America/Chicago Re: Shipping company from Houston??? [Re: tinkerbell]
Scott_Friend Offline

Loc: Ranchito Village, Czl, BZ
If emailing Sterling, email each person (CC everyone listed on the website). It is a very small office, and if someone is not in, the email doesn't get checked.

The rates are published on the website. They are accurate. It is size based. What they do not have listed is the customs fees, because that depends on the manifest and how each item will be coded.

To estimate duty, estimate 15% duty and an additional 10% GST. Duty will be calculated on cost plus insurance plus shipping (so, you actually pay duty on the shipping service). There is also Belize tax on the service from the Guatemala border to Cayo (they charge the 9% tax on about 50% of the shipping fee).

It seems that most their shipments get pushed back at least 1 week.

Also, the warehouse in houston is Eagle - they are like a venezualan company - located near Bush Intercontinental airport. When I shipped my stuff down, I dropped it off there.

As a side note, Customs never opened my crate. I was too honest on my valuations.

#157754 - 05 June 09 9:37 pm - America/Chicago Re: Shipping company from Houston??? [Re: Scott_Friend]
Coco_Morgan Offline

Loc: Billy White, Cayo
The contact is: a.wierum@sterlingfreight.com

Website is: http://www.sterlingfreight.com

Website shows approximate next date of shipment to Belize. This may change if Sterling does not have enough to ship on that date.

One has their goods delivered to Energy Freight Systems in Houston; see Sterling's website.

Very reliable and have been in business for a long time. Just used them last month.

Phil

#157900 - 09 June 09 2:30 pm - America/Chicago Re: Shipping company from Houston??? [Re: Coco_Morgan]
windyg Offline

Loc: Oregon/Bullet Tree Falls
Hi Coco,
We're in the process of moving with Roy & Son Trucking in LA. Our move is actually from Oregon. Roy loads his container in LA & then trucks to Houston for shipping to Belize. Roy's actually in Belize right now with a load. When he gets back he'll load the next container. According to Nena, his wife & partner, this next container will probably leave the first part of July. I know we're really anxious! ! One of the great things about Roy is that he will deliver to your site in Belize. He goes all over the country.

You can reach Nena right now at npascascio@yahoo.com or phone her at 323-732-0376.

Good Luck, Gale

#157901 - 09 June 09 2:32 pm - America/Chicago Re: Shipping company from Houston??? [Re: windyg]
windyg Offline

Sorry, I just realized that this thread started by Tinkerbell. Oh well, info still good. Moving is stressful. lol
Gale

#157902 - 09 June 09 3:06 pm - America/Chicago Re: Shipping company from Houston??? [Re: windyg]
Peep Offline

Loc: Consejo Belize
Hi windyg,

I have alote coming in with Roy. Its my third delivery this year. Just to point out a change though. Roy now ships out of L.A. This is his first time shipping his container from L.A. and not Huston. I wounder how much more time it will take.

I am thinking of using him to ship down my QRP stuff.

#157956 - 10 June 09 5:20 pm - America/Chicago Re: Shipping company from Houston??? [Re: Peep]
windyg Offline

Hi Peep,
Still not positive how it all works, but our stuff is now in LA. Not sure if Roy trucks it all to Houston or loads a container in LA & trucks to Houston, but the container does ship out of Houston. Thit is our first experience with this, so have been a little nervous, but really impressed by and like Roy and family. Glad to hear that he's done well for you.

I tried to contact Sterling, and did get a response, but when I was told that our stuff would land in Central Farm and then we would have two weeks to pick it up, I was frustrated. Very pleased that Roy will deliver. We're having enough stress and decisions without having to hunt up a truck and crew and have to move everything ourselves. Just our feelings and situation. Gale

#157987 - 11 June 09 10:23 am - America/Chicago Re: Shipping company from Houston??? [Re: windyg]
Peep Offline

Loc: Consejo Belize
Let me know how it goes.

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Commercial Papaya cultivation
by KatieValk
08:54 AM
Beachfront Wanted for Potential Resort
by thecol
08:27 AM
Belize Added to US Drug Blacklist / Belize's High Murder Rates
by bubblebreaker
20 October 14 11:01 am - America/Chicago
BREAKING: Carnival Cruise Passengers Flagged For Ebola
by bubblebreaker
20 October 14 10:08 am - America/Chicago
BAGA
by April05
19 October 14 11:40 am - America/Chicago
A critical look at expats in belize
by thecol
19 October 14 10:50 am - America/Chicago
has anyone here actually gone to belize to retire....
by thecol
19 October 14 10:45 am - America/Chicago
Mental Health services
by KatieValk
19 October 14 7:20 am - America/Chicago
New Recipe Mayv=be?
by April05
18 October 14 12:01 pm - America/Chicago
Furnished 3-Bedroom upper flat
by mcagun
17 October 14 6:05 am - America/Chicago
BOOKS on BELIZE