Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156639 - 09 May 09 6:40 am - America/Chicago Salsa dancing
Barbpretz Offline

Loc: From Cleveland, OH, USA
This question will show my total ignorance of the culture, but you guys have been patient so far, so here goes:

Are there good places to go salsa dancing in either the Cayo or Hopkins area in Belize? I know that Hopkins is Garifuna, so I'd expect a different type of music. My husband and I have been taking Salsa classes and really enjoy it. Salsa is very popular right now in the US with the young people (we are decidedly not young, but they put up with us). We are trying to travel light, but if there is a chance we'd get to dance, I'd bring my dancing shoes and at least one good skirt for those sexy twirls.

Thanks again,
Barb

#156655 - 09 May 09 11:50 am - America/Chicago Re: Salsa dancing [Re: Barbpretz]
catdance62 Offline

Loc: Texarkana USA
You know, I dont' guess I have ever seen anyone dance salsa in Belize, but maybe I dont' go to the right places when we are there.
I've been trying to talk my hubby into learning how....but I can't seem to persuade him!

#157016 - 20 May 09 6:49 pm - America/Chicago Re: Salsa dancing [Re: catdance62]
thefishman1 Offline

Loc: USA
I think in Orange Walk at the Hi-5

#157023 - 20 May 09 9:29 pm - America/Chicago Re: Salsa dancing [Re: thefishman1]
thefishman1 Offline

Loc: USA
thefishman1

Loc: USA I want to visit Rotan for a week, anybody knows the best way to get there from Belize ? Boat,bus, etc.And places to stay in Rotan,and in Honduras thank you

#157581 - 02 June 09 5:47 am - America/Chicago Re: Salsa dancing [Re: Barbpretz]
julie20099 Offline

My husband and I have been taking Salsa classes and really enjoy it. Salsa is very popular right now in the US with the young people (we are decidedly not young, but they put up with us). We are trying to travel light, but if there is a chance we'd get to dance,

Acai Berries Berry Cleanse Signs of Autism in Children Adults
cooking momma flash

#157584 - 02 June 09 8:37 am - America/Chicago Re: Salsa dancing [Re: julie20099]
LanSluder Offline

Loc: USA/Belize
Fishman, on your question about getting to Roatan. Until Maya Island starts its planned service from BZE to Roatan, there's not an ideal way to get there from Belize. Here are some options to San Pedro Sula (from which you can fly to Roatan on Sosa) and to Puerto Cortez. From La Ceiba there's a large, high-speed ferry to Roatan.

Keep in mind that with tourism arrivals falling off a cliff in May and June, some of these services may decide to temporarily cut back, so you should check for current schedules.

--Lan Sluder

>>

BY WEEKLY FERRY
There are two weekly boats between Belize and Puerto Cortes, Honduras: D- Express leaves from Placencia on Friday morning (check in at 9 a.m.) and the Nesymein Neydy from Dangriga on Saturday morning (check in at 8:30 a.m.) D-Express returns from Puerto Cortes Monday morning and Nesymein Neydy on Tuesday morning. Cost is US$55 each way. To confirm times, etc. for D-Express check with the BTIA office in Placencia – email tourism@placencia.com or call 501-202-4506. For NN try 501-522-0063 in Dangriga. You could also check with Mundo Maya Travel in the Marine Terminal in Belize City, 501-223-0457 or email mundomayatravels@yahoo.com, as they'll make reservations and sell you a ticket.

There are other options.

BY WATER TAXI FROM PUNTA GORDA TO GUATEMALA
You can bus or fly to Punta Gorda and take one of the three daily water taxis from Punta Gorda to Puerto Barrios, Guatemala (three different outfits – Requena’s, Pichillingo and Marisol -- with departures at 9:30, 2 and 4 respectively, around US$20--$22), and then from there make your way by shuttle to the border and bus to San Pedro Sula. You may also be able to get a taxi between Puerto Barrios and San Pedro Sula– cost is probably around US$40 to $50.

FLY MAYA ISLAND AIR
Another option is to fly from Savannah (across the lagoon from Placencia, with connections from other points in Belize) on Maya Island Air to San Pedro Sula. Fare is US$163, with discounts sometimes available. Maya Island says it plans to begin service all the way to Roatan soon. The web site suggests the San Pedro Sula flight is daily, but it's not -- email or call Maya for the current days they fly (www.mayaislandair.com ).

WEEKLY SHUTTLE BELIZE CITY—SAN PEDRO SULA
Another, fairly recent option is a weekly shuttle van/bus from Belize City to San Pedro Sula. It leaves Belize City at 6 a.m. Saturday from the Marine Terminal and is supposed to get to San Pedro Sula at 6 p.m. that same day. Cost is US$60 one-way. Check with Mundo Maya Travel for tickets. Email mundomayatravels@yahoo.com or call 501-223-0457.

PUBLIC BUSES
The other option is to take public buses from Belize's western border at Benque Viejo through Guatemala to Honduras.

EXIT TAXES
Note that the above prices don't include exit taxes and fees. The exit tax by boat from Belize is US$3.75, by land US$18.75 and by air up to almost US$40 if flying out of the international airport. Guatemala and Honduras also have exit taxes.

#157589 - 02 June 09 10:55 am - America/Chicago Re: Salsa dancing [Re: LanSluder]
MisterB Offline

Loc: Belize
Hi fisherman,

Haven´t I given you this information about 2 or 3 times already?

Bus from OW to Belize City.
Change to a bus to Dangriga - recommend James Bus Line.
Water taxi to Honduras.
Then you´re on your own.

Anyway, careful with Lan´s information, because the Nesymein Neydy has not returned to Dangriga on a Tuesday for about a year (according to updates from the agent). See if you can check for yourself a few days before you travel - schedules do change without notice, and I try to keep up to date. The last update was in April, and there were no significant changes from the up date before that.

All the current schedules & fares are here
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

#157617 - 02 June 09 9:24 pm - America/Chicago Re: Salsa dancing [Re: MisterB]
LanSluder Offline

Loc: USA/Belize
My bad on Tuesday instead of Monday.

--Lan Sluder

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage