Hol Chan
Laughingbird Caye

MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150049 - 22 November 08 9:11 pm - America/Chicago worthless swamp land
dtcfm Offline

I am not crazy, but am looking for some worthless swamp or seasonally flooded land. If anyone knows of any such land for sale very cheap, please message me. Intended use is towards research/conservation studies.

#150060 - 23 November 08 8:47 am - America/Chicago Re: worthless swamp land [Re: dtcfm]
RoaringRocks Offline
roaringrocks

Loc: Near Belmopan / or Wales
All land in Belize is very cheap, by some foreign standards, except for coastal areas sequestrated by affluent foreigners, though as you may have noticed while searching these and other forums, a degree of panic seems to be setting in amongst some of the latter.

None of it is worthless.

There are no real benchmarks to go by, the advice constantly given is to visit, chose a central location and travel around, talking to agents and locals. I'd allow at least a fortnight for intensive searches, more like a month for reasoned consideration.

#150062 - 23 November 08 10:05 am - America/Chicago Re: worthless swamp land [Re: RoaringRocks]
hpvpaul2 Offline

Loc: Stann Creek
There is no such thing as worthless land. All land is 100% utilized, it may just not be utilized by 2 legged animals.

#150070 - 23 November 08 12:59 pm - America/Chicago Re: worthless swamp land [Re: hpvpaul2]
dtcfm Offline

You're right, nothing is totally worthless. With worthless, I meant not usable for people like building a house or other structures. Looking at real estate websites I get the feeling that rel estate agents only care about big expensive properties to make a big commission. Just trying to get some info before coming back to Belize.

#150080 - 23 November 08 6:29 pm - America/Chicago Re: worthless swamp land [Re: dtcfm]
MangoCreek Offline

Loc: Illinois
"Worthless swampland" is what removes nutrients and sediment from run-off to rivers and the reef. The reef is Belize's major economic engine and right now, its' condition is declining at an alarming rate. Healthyreefs Report Card that showed 53% of Belize's Mesoamerican Reef is in "poor" condition, and only 6% is in "good condition" in part because of sedimentation and contaminants.

The Prime Minister has said this report is a "clarion call" for action to save the reef.

Keeping "worthless swampland" intact will be one of the cheapest, most effective ways to do that.

Please keep in mind that economic values are only surrogate values. Just because nutrient removal and juvenile habitat operates outside the economic system (i.e. it has been free up to now) doesn't mean its' "worthless".

Not everything is for sale.

#150082 - 23 November 08 7:18 pm - America/Chicago Re: worthless swamp land [Re: MangoCreek]
dtcfm Offline

Do you feel stepped on your toes? This category is about real estate. No one will buy swamp land. So yes, it is worthless to any real estate agent or anyone wanting a place to live. If you had not been offended by the word "worthless", you would have noticed that I said this is for "research/conservation studies" which is very beneficial to protecting the reef and all the other things mentioned. Some of you forum people need to quit getting hung up on one word and then run the original poster into the ground. I am just trying to help someone find some land for long term studies and conservation.

#150087 - 23 November 08 8:36 pm - America/Chicago Re: worthless swamp land [Re: dtcfm]
watah_juan Offline

Many people have purchased swamp and wet lands in Belize. Usually after the purchase they want to fill it to make dry land. My guess is that's where Mango Creek's response came from.

If you want to do research and conservation studies there are plenty of NGO's you could work with where no purchase of our swamps, lagoons and wetlands would be required.

#150098 - 24 November 08 8:07 am - America/Chicago Re: worthless swamp land [Re: watah_juan]
RoaringRocks Offline
roaringrocks

Loc: Near Belmopan / or Wales
Quote:
Do you feel stepped on your toes?

Let me explain my point of view, I don't pretend to speak for others, though both Mango Creek and watah juan hit the right note so far as I can see.

I'm here because of my interest in Belize. I'll try to point enquirers with what seems a genuine interest in Belize in what seems to me to be the right direction if I can, commensurate with what seems to me to be in the better long-term interests of Belize. The accent is always on Belize, not on foreign interests.

We get many 'chancers' posting here, having learned from bitter experience over the years that exploitation of Belize for exportable profit is in their minds, and you should therefore not be surprised by responses if what you write does not quickly establish your own bona fides.

In two separate fora, you enquired for 'worthless' 'unbuildable' land for unspecified 'research' and at the same time for ways of establishing yourself in business on a farm and building on it. If these are two completely separate matters, say so, expand upon the enquiries, and you will find fewer people treating you with suspicion.

I hope you will treat the foregoing as advice and not an encouragement to bombast.

#150112 - 24 November 08 12:52 pm - America/Chicago Re: worthless swamp land [Re: RoaringRocks]
MangoCreek Offline

Loc: Illinois
dctfm, I promise my toes are fine and the purpose here isn't to run anyone into the ground...

...although I suspect the conservationists you are helping would agree it would be nice to see the phrase in question disappear. No true?

Cheers.

#150182 - 25 November 08 7:44 pm - America/Chicago Re: worthless swamp land [Re: MangoCreek]
dtcfm Offline

My personal farming interest has nothing to do with the research project. That would be some kind of farm in the swamp huh? Think! You are still assuming too much. If I wanted to farm on a swamp, I would have said so. If those post were related, I would have said so. Not every gringo wants to exploit Belize.

Maybe some moderator wants to take the time to "make the phrase in question disappear" since I can't edit any posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Dangriga
by Una Companera
We all can and do, make a positive difference.
by April05
08:27 PM
Cahuita to Cayo
by terdalfarm
07:53 PM
Rose Colored Glasses
by ginandtonic
04:34 PM
New Recipe Mayv=be?
by April05
04:18 PM
Who needs a laugh?