MORE SPONSORS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129798 - 18 January 04 8:32 am - America/Chicago shipping a boat to belize
adamson Offline

Loc: sweden
hi
i am no longer young and can't cross the ocean by a little boat. can i ship my boat to belize ? are there shipping lines from europe to belize?
regards
adam

#129799 - 20 January 04 6:53 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
Brian2 Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
How big is the boat? Would it fit in a shipping container?

#129800 - 20 January 04 10:17 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
adamson Offline

Hi Brian
It is a so called weekend cruiser about 20 feets more. i don't know frankly if it fits inside a container.
regards
adam

#129801 - 22 January 04 12:19 pm - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
Brian2 Offline

Hi Adam,
I have a 22ft sailboat that should fit. But the keel goes all the way into the hull. I believe the containers are upto 24feet. I may be able to drive mine right in on the trailer.
Brian

#129802 - 29 January 04 2:50 pm - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
PIRATE PARROTHEAD Offline

Loc: MARATHON, FLORIDA
I HAVE JUST RETURNED TO THE STATES FROM BELIZE. I TRAILERED A SMALL BOAT AND HAD NO PROBLEMS OF ANY KIND. MEXICO WAS A LITTLE ROUGH DUE TO THE CONDITION OF IT'S ROADS BUT, CUSTOMS, THE POLICE, MILITARY CHECK POINTS AND BELIZE CUSTOMS WERE ALL VERY HELPFUL AND QUITE EASY TO DEAL WITH. YOUR BOAT IS TRAILERABLE FROM THE U.S.A., SO IF YOU CAN'T CONTAINER SHIP IT TO BELIZE, THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER WAY TO GET IT THERE.
HOWEVER YOU CHOOSE TO GET A BOAT TO BELIZE I HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT YOU BRING IT. THE RIVERS AND LAGOONS, LAKES AND ISLANDS MAKE ALL THE HASTLES YOU COULD EVER RUN INTO WELL WORTH THE EXTRA EFFORT. JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOUR BOAT IS A SHALLOW DRAFT..... I HAD A GREAT TIME AND WAS THERE OVER A MONTH THIS TIME.
SMOOTH SAILING, MATEY.

FROM THE DECKS OF;
PARROTHEAD'S DREAM,
RUSS AND SHERENE

#129803 - 31 January 04 10:00 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
adamson Offline

hi
thanks for the replies. i'll certainly bring my boat with me.
adam

#129804 - 03 February 04 2:59 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
Living in Paradise Offline

Loc: Caye Caulker, Belize
I would not go to the trouble, taxes and duty and expense of shipping a boat to Belize from Europe, especially if its not that big of a boat 9unless you have some sort of emotional attachment to it). There are lots of boats for sale in the Rio Dulce area of Guatemala and many marinas to choose from. You could buy a boat there and then sail it up to Belize in a day.

#129805 - 04 February 04 6:10 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
Brian2 Offline

I figured another way, from the East Coast US would be to trailer it to Tampa and take the ferry (if running) over to Merida and down to BZ.

#129806 - 04 February 04 10:59 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
adamson Offline

hi
Are there any direct ferrys from europe to belize or mexico?
selling a used boat and buying a new one somewhere else presents twice economical lose once when you sell the boat and then when you buy a new boat. shall i pay taxes if i bring my old boat to belize?it is nearly 30 years old!
regards
adam

#129807 - 04 February 04 4:18 pm - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
Living in Paradise Offline

Loc: Caye Caulker, Belize
Yes you will pay duty on the boat. I have no idea how much though. When you arrive with the boat, if you are not ready to pay the duty, your passport will be stamped for temporary importation (up to 6 months allowed in country, I think) But you will not be allowed to leave the country until the duty is paid, or you take the boat out of the country, unless special circumstances are given- and the boat impounded by customs. If you do a search on this message board, I'm sure you'll find much more information.

#129808 - 05 February 04 2:23 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
adamson Offline

Hi
i wonder if custom duty is not related to the boat's age or model? anyway if i buy a boat in guatemala I have to pay duty too! unless there is an accord between Guatemala and Belize? i hope the duty is not high anyway Belize is known as a low tax country? isn't so?
regards
adam

#129809 - 07 February 04 7:42 pm - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
sailboatjoe Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I would think that shipping a boat across the Atlantic would be prohibitively expensive. Seems to me to make more sense to buy one in Guatemala. I bought one there and owned it for several years. I paid no duty. Boats in Guatemala are reasonably priced. Generally, the only time one pays duty on a boat is to register it in Guatemala. This is expensive and is generally done only if one wants to legally charter the boat. Otherwise, boats have titles from the countries that they are from. One can receive cruising permits for very reasonable prices. Contact the message board for the Rio Dulce area at www.mayaparadise.com Lots of info there. Happy sailing.
Joe

#129810 - 08 February 04 5:13 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
adamson Offline

Hi Joe
Thanks for your reply. i visitd the site but coulden't find information about boats and their prices.I nSweden ueually the boats are very ell made and cheap.of cours if i could find for the same quality and price then it would be easier to buy insteaad of shipping a boat. if you know then please tel me what would be the cost of 20 feet fiberglass cruiser with a 70 hp engin so i can compare the prices.
best regards
adam

#129811 - 08 February 04 5:15 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
adamson Offline

Hi Joe
Thanks for your reply. i visitd the site but coulden't find information about boats and their prices.In Sweden uesally the boats are very well made and cheap.of cours if i could find for the same quality and price then it would be easier to buy insteaad of shipping a boat. if you know then please tel me what would be the cost of 20 feet fiberglass cruiser with a 70 hp engin so i can compare the prices.
best regards
adam

#129812 - 23 February 04 6:03 pm - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
sailboatjoe Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I thought you were talking about a sailboat. You would probably never find a motorboat like yours in Guatemala. Most motor boats are small fishing boats called pangas. Others are huge sportfishermen. Not much in between.
Sorry so slow to respond. Computer was in shop for 2 weeks. My alternate computer would allow me to read, but not send messages.

#129813 - 25 February 04 6:34 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
Brian2 Offline

There's at least on fglass boatworks in BC. Can't remember the name/website though. Since the water taxis have been upgraded, ther must be some older hulls around. A motor-sailer would be the hot set-up. Ugly but practical.

#129814 - 25 February 04 4:24 pm - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
kcbc Offline

Loc: Florida
One of the boat companies is Bradley Boats--
Last I heard they were selling some of their boats outside of Belize.
Located in BC off Central American Blvd.
They do have a website.

#129815 - 26 February 04 6:30 am - America/Chicago Re: shipping a boat to belize
Brian2 Offline

Thanks kcbc, yep, that's the one.....http://bradleypowerboats.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Barnacle, catdance62, nplwebmaster, Tony 
RSS Feeds & Facebook

Recent Posts

Belize Photography on Facebook

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Recent Posts
Beachfront Wanted for Potential Resort
by britinbelize
1 second ago
Belize Added to US Drug Blacklist / Belize's High Murder Rates
by bubblebreaker
Today at 11:01 AM
BREAKING: Carnival Cruise Passengers Flagged For Ebola
by bubblebreaker
Today at 10:08 AM
BAGA
by April05
Yesterday at 11:40 AM
A critical look at expats in belize
by thecol
Yesterday at 10:50 AM
has anyone here actually gone to belize to retire....
by thecol
Yesterday at 10:45 AM
Mental Health services
by KatieValk
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
New Recipe Mayv=be?
by April05
18 October 14 12:01 pm - America/Chicago
Furnished 3-Bedroom upper flat
by mcagun
17 October 14 6:05 am - America/Chicago
Looking for Condo/House San Pedro